Chit Chat

For the childrenz..

laylasauruslaylasaurus member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited September 2013 in Chit Chat
We'll have about 10, 3-6 year old children at our wedding, and I wanted to provide them with some stuff to help keep them entertained.  I'm going to have a kids table covered in craft paper set up, so that they can color all over it.  I'm also going to be making little boxes for each of them.  Inside, I was going to put crayons and also some origami animals I made for them to play with.  Is there anything else you all think I could put in  the boxes for them? I'm thinking about bubbles, but the potential for spilled bubble mess makes me think twice, especially with the youngest ones.  Open to suggestions...

I also am a little unsure about kids food for dinner.  We are doing buffet style BBQ and there will be sides that most kids like, mac n' cheese and such. However, I know we are going to have at least 2 that are SUPER picky eaters... our ring bearer won't eat anything other than PB&J, cheese pizza, and apples right now.  I'm thinking about maybe just throwing some kids stuff together myself and making a little mini buffet for them.  I figured I could have little sandwiches, or pizza, we will already be serving a bunch of fruit, maybe throw in some string cheeses, stuff that's easy for me to put together myself.  I'm just wondering if this is going above what is expected of me as a host and worth doing.  It won't be that expensive to do, it's not like kids that age eat a ton, and really wouldn't be a huge time drag, but it is just one more thing to add to the never ending to do list of what's already a very DIY wedding.  I would like to do it, but I just don't know if it's worth it.  

I hadn't initially thought of "kids plates" since we are doing it buffet style, just figuring parents would be making up plates for the kids. BBQ is generally pretty kid friendly, but it just occurred to us that even so there might not be anything that a few of these kids will eat. A friend of ours is doing the catering, and I don't really want to add on more for him to do.  

Re: For the childrenz..

• I was considering putting little bags together for the kids, also. I was thinking crayons, a small note book, stickers, cheap sunglasses (outside ceremony), and a ring pop. I think there were a couple other little things, but I don't remember off hand.

Originally I was going to need 15 bags, but several of my guests have said they're leaving the kids at home so they can have an adult night out :)
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• I'm making kiddie bags with a little coloring book, crayons, bubbles and maybe stickers. They can use their bags to hold candy from the pinata we are having. 

Here's a link for a fun coloring book:
  • As far as the food goes, it's up to you. Parents know their kids best, so if Johnny is an incredibly picky eater, his parents should pack PB&J for him. If you have the time and budget and don't mind going to the extra effort to make a kid-friendly "buffet," go for it, but to me, the added stress (albeit little) wouldn't be worth it. 
  • WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    We're getting a bucket from the dollar store and filling it with coloring books, crayons, hot wheels, and a stuffed animal  to keep my 6 year old son occupied at our reception.  But I know by the time the music starts he'll be happy dancing.

ETA:  We're also just giving him a regular meal.  He loves salad, potatoes, and salmon.  Even if he doesn't eat the pork tenderloin and veggies he'll have plenty to eat.  He'll also eat most of everything in the cocktail hour buffet. 
  • The only kids we're having at the reception are the kids that are in the wedding.  I've already spoken to my venue about kids meals for them.  They have the options of burgers with fries, chicken fingers, and I think pizza was the 3rd choice.  I've told their parents and they said "don't worry about them.  You'll have plenty of food.  They'll find something to eat".

As far as keeping them occupied.  I think they'll be up dancing with everyone.  I also told the parents that if an ipad/ipod will keep them busy feel free to bring it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ElcaB said:

As far as the food goes, it's up to you. Parents know their kids best, so if Johnny is an incredibly picky eater, his parents should pack PB&J for him. If you have the time and budget and don't mind going to the extra effort to make a kid-friendly "buffet," go for it, but to me, the added stress (albeit little) wouldn't be worth it. 

I agree with this. I always pack something in my daughter's bag just in case there isn't something toddler-friendly available. I would NEVER expect pb&j or pizza at a wedding and would pack accordingly. I think you're ok without.
  • OP, you're fine. The parents of the picky eaters will figure it out and you're offering plenty for them to do.

Anniversary

• Thanks for the input ladies.  I think I'll skip doing the kid food.  I'll give some of the parents a call just to let them know what we'll have in addition to the BBQ so they can be prepared if they think their kid won't like anything. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards