Just Engaged and Proposals

complicated engagement ring problem

I've been lurking for a bit, but this is my first post.

I'm not engaged yet, but from conversations with my bf I know he's planning on asking me SOON, like probably within the next couple weeks. Today, I sat down at the computer, and he hadn't logged out, and before I could look away, I saw thumbnails of two rings in his email. I'm NOT proud of this AT ALL -- we both really pride ourselves on giving eachother e-privacy -- but curiosity got the better of me and my eyes lingered longer than they should have. I read a few lines and then felt ashamed and logged out at that point.

In that short time, I gathered that the pics I was seeing was of a ring that was given to him, probably by a family member, but he had made an alteration to it (and I definitely read the word expensive). Initially, it was a three diamond setting, and he had swapped the center diamond for a sapphire.

So, here is the problem. The only criteria I have given him for a ring is not to spend much. Like, not more than "a few hundred". We both have debt, and I just can't justify spending a lot on a ring. I'm against diamonds -- but ONLY because I hate how expensive they are and the whole diamond market, not because I don't like the way they look! However, heirloom diamond ring given for free? Sure! That's the best kind of engagement ring, imo! My concern is that he misunderstood this to mean I don't like diamonds themselves... we never really talked about it, but I did comment on articles about the diamond market and have discussions with mutual friends that he might have seen.

So bottom line, what is upsetting me is that he spent a lot of money on something that I think was very wasteful, and unnecessary. There is also a petty annoyance nagging at the back of my head that darnit, I really liked the diamond version a lot better!

The other reason this bothers me, is that if we get married, we join our finances, and so the money he is spending right now on this stuff, rather than paying down debt, will affect us both later as well. We have talked a lot about money, and we are really both on the same page with money and have very similar values. We are both pretty conservative when it comes to money, which is why this is also so upsetting.

I don't know what to do. This has actually made me kind of angry. I'm a terrible liar. I won't be able to hide from him my disappointment in his choice to spend so much money on something like this, and I'm troubled by his decision to do so. When he asks, how on earth do I tell him that I'm disappointed and hurt that he would waste so much of our money just to swap out a diamond? My only criteria was that I wanted the ring to be inexpensive. :( He had the least expensive it gets, free, and then dumped a bunch of money into it to make it less attractive. Uhg. Just, so frustrating.

I hope someone has some magic bit of perspective for me that will make all these nasty feelings go away. And before anyone scolds me, don't worry, I DO plan on confessing at the appropriate time that I saw his email.

Re: complicated engagement ring problem

• I personally would fess up before he proposes.  But thats just me.  And you have to be honest with the person your marrying, you are going to be wearing this ring forever so of course you need to love it.  He very well might have misunderstood you not wanting the ring to be expensive and not wanting him to spend tons of money on a diamond and interpreted it as you don't like diamonds.  Be honest now because if your not, it won't be any easier later on.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I see what you are saying. The problem is, he'a already spent the money, and that's what I'm angry about. Whether I say anything or not, it's gone. I guess that is part of why I'm not sure IF I should say anything, because there is no way for him to fix this. I don't care if I like the ring or not, at this point, spending ANY more on a ring is out of the question, that would make me feel even worse.

The problem is though, instead of feeling just happy when I look at my ring, like I thought I would, I worry that I'm going to feel angry that he wasted so much money on it. that's not what I want to feel when I look at my engagement ring.

I just can't get over the fact that the ring was fine to begin with. If he had a ring to propose with, why on earth didn't he just wait until afterwards to ask me if I wanted an expensive change like that? Never in a million years would I have wanted him to do what he did to it.
  • Personally I would be gracious and accept the ring. With you mentioning you did not like diamonds his intentions were to give you something you would love. I understand that it may be a little excessive, but, the money is spent and on something that he wants you to be happy with... As horrible as this sounds if you are really more concerned about money than anything else you can always pawn or sell it to get something less, although being an heirloom piece it may not be the best idea.
  • classyduckclassyduck member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    @Jame1987 -- that's the thing, I never said I don't like diamons. I'm appaled at the way their prices are manipulated, though. Still, your point is taken, and while I don't know for sure, I wonder if that is what motivated his decision.

Anyway, I confronted him on it -- probably sooner than I was ready. I wanted to wait a few days till I cooled down a bit, but he could tell I was mad about something (remember I said I'm awful at hiding how I feel), and he asked "Are you mad at me?" and that's when everything came out.

Understandably, we are both VERY hurt right now, and have taken the last day or so to cool off, and are going to talk about this again tonight. We didn't cover everything the first time, and need to have a more in depth discussion.

I have realized why this upsets me so much. Some people have said, that it's his money, "if this is what he wants to do, then let him."

But that's the thing, it isn't really his money. Let me explain:

I have debt--but it's good debt, a mortgage. He has debt, and some of it is bad debt. Student loans, a car loan, and the worst one, credit cards. I also have some money saved up. I have been planning, as soon as we are married, to pay off whatever is left on his credit cards. If we have the money, why not pay it off? I want to EARN interest, not pay it. It makes good financial sense. And truthfully, I didn't have a problem with paying his debt, because I think in general, he is smart with his money. (Until he bought this ring.)

So here I have been, saving, and planning to get us out of debt, and he sinks us in deeper. If we get married and he has, say, $2K left on his credit card (which would be an impressive feat on his part), but he paid $1.5K for the ring, and I pay that balance off, guess what? I just paid for my own ring, that I had no input on, and never asked for in the first place. There are other ways I would have MUCH preferred to spend that money.

So I don't feel like he spent his money, he spent my money. When you are in debt, you don't really have the money to spend. It's a fallacy to say that he bought it with his money.

One thing I dismissed throughout this though, that I regret a lot, was his intention. He loves me so much and wanted to make me feel special, and I know that is why he did what he did. I was too angry to acknowledge that before. I will go out of my way to acknowledge that tonight.

In the end, financial fitness is VERY important to me. This has been painful, but this is an extremely important issue to have resolved, before we get married. In that sense, I'm glad this happened. I wish I had handled it more delicately, but we will get through this.
  • Did he know that it was your goal to pay off his CC debt? If not, I think that would definitely help him understand what happened and why you feel this way. You're right, he had the best intentions with buying this ring, but it sounds like you both need to talk about finances, a reasonable ring budget, etc. Going ring shopping together if you both decide to forgo the current ring might also be a good idea. Good luck with part two of the conversation!
  • Amapola14 said:
    Did he know that it was your goal to pay off his CC debt? If not, I think that would definitely help him understand what happened and why you feel this way.
    You are 100% right. Part of this realization, that I felt like I was buying the ring, was realizing that he had NO WAY to know that I felt this way. I never told him that I had planned to help him with his credit card debt. It wasn't fair of me to expect him to realize that I would feel this way.

I definitely plan on telling him this tonight also, and I imagine he will have a response to this, probably some perspectives I hadn't thought of, as well.
  • Good Luck :-)
  • classyduckclassyduck member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    Well, ladies, I'm very sorry to tell you, but I have managed to snag the best partner in the world. :) Hahaha. :P

Really, all kidding aside, I'm so lucky. We survived our first fight, and I think we came out of it really in a much better place. We didn't yell, there wasn't any "mudslinging." There were a few tears, but we were honest, talked out our feelings, and resolved our conflict the way a loving couple should, I think.

I know he got a promotion recently, and I knew it was a significant payraise, but I don't think I realized just how much more he had. He also confided that his Mom had really wanted to help him out, so she had "donated" some money for his cause. Would I still have rather him spend down his cc with it? Probably, but that feeling is WAY more in perspective now. In fact, I'm really kind of excited to see this ring :) The truth is he wanted the promotion he got so bad so that he could feel more comfortable proposing to me. I'm so grateful that he cherishes me so much.

He was so forgiving of my anger (and my partly accidental e-snooping), and he saw through it that my REAL concern was being able to create a financially stable household that we can raise a family in. I maybe took away from his "surprise" a bit, but he was forgiving of that too. It wasn't really a surprise anyway, I know he is planning to propose, and he knows I know.

Now I just get to look forward to the proposal, and the ring!

Happy ending. :) I mean beginning!

EDIT -- I have been remiss! Thanks to all the thoughtful replies and advice I've received from you wise ladies here!
  • @classyduck, glad it went so well! You definitely got a winner :)
  • It sounds like u r a very practical, responsibile woman. And I'm so glad that everything worked out for u guys. But please enjoy this journey. Sometimes it'll be better to just enjoy the moment, and not worry about the cost. Know that his intentions were good. That he was doing what he thought would make u happy. And that he asked for help when he couldn't do it alone. He's a good guy, and a great FH. I hope u really love the ring when u get it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards