Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement party?

Family is pressuring us to have an engagement party....which mean an engagement party, 2 bridal showers, and a wedding in about 5 months. We had not factored an engagement party into our budget. We would like as low key and budget friendly as possible. Suggestions please? Thank you!

Re: Engagement party?

• Sembree1 said:
    Family is pressuring us to have an engagement party....which mean an engagement party, 2 bridal showers, and a wedding in about 5 months. We had not factored an engagement party into our budget. We would like as low key and budget friendly as possible. Suggestions please? Thank you!
    Don't have one? You shouldn't be hosting your own engagement party anyway. Just say no. 

I'd say to family "We'd love to have one, but time and budget wont allow." If they keep being pushy about it, I'd pull the whole "If you'd like to host one for us, we'd graciously accept. Otherwise, it wont happen." That way, if they want one, they have to host it. 

And honestly, wedding, two showers, and engagement party in less than 6 months feels gift grabby since you'd presumably be inviting people to a gift-giving event every month for five months. 
  • That's my other concern. We know we can't actually put no gifts on invitations due to etiquette, but I don't want people to give gifts for everything. I was wondering if we could do it more as a meet and greet since he hasn't met my extended family and some friends and I havent met his. It is more that concept then an engagement party...
  • Just say, "No".
  • Either say "no" or say "Well, FI and I have chosen not to host our own engagement party.  If you want to throw one, go right ahead".  It's not their place to say how you should spend your money so, in my mind, if they really want this party then they should throw it for you.
  • Meet and greet is just perfect!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards