Attire & Accessories Forum

Mixing satin and chiffon

I've picked a color and a length and have told my girls to get what ever they want from DB. I asked that they send me the dresses they were considering, I then put them all here (note, they will all be the same color, not necessarily the color pinned): http://www.pinterest.com/sbmini/bridesmaid-dresses-group-pin/

I'm having four bridesmaids. Two of the girls only picked satin dresses (my FSIL and best friend) the other two (my sisters) picked satin and chiffon dresses. The wedding is in spring, the ceremony is outdoor in a garden and the reception is indoors in a hall. My question is- would it look good to mix chiffon and satin or should I mandate a fabric? I like the feeling and flow of chiffon, but I feel like DB has a much better selection of satin dresses.

Does anyone have photos of bridesmaids with chiffon and satin dresses?

Re: Mixing satin and chiffon

• I will say that the color will look and photograph differently in the varying fabrics.

• Check them out in store. I picked Meadow, and the chiffon and satin are nearly identical in color, so I didn't think it was a big deal.

Anniversary
  • I don't think the colors need to match exactly.  A lot of bridesmaids now are in the same color family and not the same color, and it looks nice.  But it depends on if you prefer a matchy-matchy look or not.  Also, if you have 6 BMs and 3 choose satin and 3 choose chiffon (or even 2 and 4), I think it will look coordinated but not matchy-matchy.  But if you have 5 in satin and 1 in chiffon it may look odd.
  • I would go to DB and look at the dresses in your color(s) side by side to see how it looks. If you hate it, tell the girls who picked satin and chiffon to go with one of their satin choices. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I've seen both dresses in person and think they look fine- I'm worried about how it photographs and a little worried that they won't go from a style perspective, i.e. two girls will look more formal than the other two.

• You're over thinking this. You told them to get whatever they want in a particular color. Now you're changing your mind. They will be lovely. Relax.
  • I agree with Maggie0829.  They will look different against each other, in person, and in photographs.  I think you should just pick one of the fabrics.
  • Most brides pick a fabric as well as a length and color when they tell their girls to pick dresses for just this reason. However, I don't think it will really make a difference in the end. Yes, the dresses will probably be a little different in color and will photograph a bit differently, but since you're already having them in different styles I don't think that will look odd in the least - I actually think it may look a bit better personally.
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    You're over thinking this. You told them to get whatever they want in a particular color. Now you're changing your mind. They will be lovely. Relax.
    Well, yes, I'm changing my mind but in the reverse way. I told everyone satin then my MOH pinned a bunch of chiffon dresses. I'm sure if it would be a problem or if I should et her and my other sister break the fabric rule.
  • Satin and chiffon is 2 different fabrics, their dye time is done differently as well. The fabric itself texture is completely different as one has shine, the other doesn't. Chiffon gives a more romantic feels and satin gives a more formal feel. Since you are the bride, I think you have to make the final call. Last thing you want is regret after the wedding. 
  • rainyelel said:
    Satin and chiffon is 2 different fabrics, their dye time is done differently as well. The fabric itself texture is completely different as one has shine, the other doesn't. Chiffon gives a more romantic feels and satin gives a more formal feel. Since you are the bride, I think you have to make the final call. Last thing you want is regret after the wedding. 
    I like the romance of chiffon, but I don't like the styling of most chiffon dresses. I think the satin designers are nicer. So really... I don't think I have a preference. Especially since our wedding is both romantic (garden ceremony) and formal (elegant hall reception). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards