Honeymoon Discussions

Destination Qualms

Hello fellow Knots! I'm hoping I can get some ideas that I haven't come up with, which is going to be a difficult task as I've got some extreme parameters =/

My husband-to-be and I are getting married July 2014. We've come up with and have shot down every idea we and our family/friends have come up with.

Here's the thing: Just like most young people, we're pretty broke. We're looking at a total budget of $2,500 for our honeymoon. That includes travel and lodging expenses, dining and activities, and any souvenirs we plan to get. Doesn't leave a lot of options, especially since we want to take a trip lasting at least 7 days.

Other factors: We live in Florida, and want to avoid at all possible costs anything that involves the beach, the ocean, or the hot sun. We also do not and will not have passports by the time we are married, so we HAVE to stay in the USA and a cruise is out of the running.

Originally we had wanted to stay in a lodge in WA, until I realized that in was in a pine forest (I am severely allergic to pine trees- any type, so any place involving those is out). After that we had considered staying in a B&B in the New England area and visiting the surrounding areas, but in all reality we know we'll never get up before 9am, and that's when B&Bs stop serving breakfast (usually) so what's the point in spending $100/night+ if you don't get to enjoy all the amenities?

Neither one of us drink alcohol, so it doesn't make sense to go to somewhere like Napa Valley or Martha's Vineyard where the main attraction is the wineries.

We want to avoid children at all costs on our honeymoon. I understand that unless you can shell out $450/night for an adult-only resort it's virtually impossible to avoid children as they live everywhere... But one can hope, eh?

We don't eat seafood, so why go somewhere that's essentially a fishing town? We also already live in a hustle-bustle area and are not interested in places like DC or NYC or LA or Las Vegas.

I'm originally from a small southern town and have less than no interest in going somewhere like Charleston. We've been to the midwest and have no interest in going back.

Additionally, we do not want to stay in a hotel/motel. We like the idea of a B&B but unfortunately we are not morning people and don't want to have to wake up early on our honeymoon just to get the breakfast that is included in our nightly rate. We'd like to find a romantic and out-of-the-way secluded lodge/resort that we could actually afford.

I know, we have unrealistic expectations and too many parameters. You've got to give a little to get a little. Blah blah blah. I'm not looking for someone to judge us on our expectations or be negative Nellies, so please be nice. We're willing to be flexible if we fall in love with an idea that meets 99% of our wants (but please, no kids and no beaches... We just can't stand either of them, and we want to actually enjoy our honeymoon).

We're willing to drive 1,500 miles one way for our trip, after that we'll have to fly and that can get costly (not to mention you always run the risk of losing your luggage or having your mementos break... and children).

Me, I want to be as far away from everything as possible. I want to be waited on, I want to relax, I want to see beautiful things all around me. The man, he'll go for just about anything. He'll want to be able to try new things (activities, not food- he is not the most adventurous when it comes to food).

So... Help?

Re: Destination Qualms

• The Poconos? Upstate New York? Vermont? That's all I'm coming up with.
  • Hotel with a nice spa in Arizona? You could visit the Grand Canyon, go horse back riding, visit old Navajo villages, etc.
  • You might get some really great ideas by checking out the escapes on LivingSocial or Groupon.  They can give you ideas of places to stay and they also have some really great deals that could stretch your budget.

We have a timeshare and our latest magazine from them showed one of their properties in Peroria Springs, CO.  It looked awesome.  They had hot springs and you could also make day trips to AZ, Denver, and some other places.  It's now on our list of places to see.  I have no idea if this area has been effected by any of the recent flooding or not.  I also don't know what the cost would be.
  • Have you considered delaying your honeymoon until the fall when kids are back in school?  If you go in July, you'll run into them even more no matter where you go with summer vacations.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Have you considered delaying your honeymoon until the fall when kids are back in school?  If you go in July, you'll run into them even more no matter where you go with summer vacations.

This is a great idea.  Mid-September is the best time to travel anywhere in the US if you're trying to avoid children.  Most people will not take their kids on vacation within a few weeks of school starting up again.  I was just in Orlando at Universal Studios last weekend, and it was as child-free of any theme park I have ever seen.  Obviously there were still children there, but not nearly as many as there would normally be.

Arizona would be a good idea, especially if you enjoy outdoor activities, but perhaps not in July - it will be VERY hot then.  If you're really set on July have you considered Wyoming or something similar?  A lot of places that have skiing in the winter offer great hiking and outdoor activities in the summer, and nice lodges are available.  You would have to fly though.  The mountains of Tennessee or western NC might also be nice (though again, potentially hot in July - though probably not as hot as FL in July at least...and you could drive there).

• You are entitled to want the HM you want.

FWIW you have plenty of time to get passports so don't count that out on time alone. . . cost maybe but again, that's a different issue.

Would you consider a city HM?  Maybe some place like New Orleans, NYC, Philly or DC?  In places like that you will get better deals on hotels rather than B&Bs but there may still be some out there. There will also be hotels that have the charm you seek.

Outside of a city in the Northeast you are going to encounter pine trees.

• The southwest US was my initial thought as well but it will be very hot at that time of year.  You could do a mini road trip...  Fly into Phoenix or Las Vegas and then visit the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and maybe Scottsdale.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I absolutely adore new Mexico. Check out ojo caliente mineral spring spa. You could visit Taos and Santa fe.
  • FLDiverFLDiver member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2013
    I just went to a wedding in Highlands, NC.  It is an adorable little town with shopping and lots of small B&B/cabins; we stayed in an adorable little cottage here.   It is surrounded by the Nantahala National Forest, and we spent several days driving around seeing the waterfalls, etc.  It's about an hour and a half from Asheville, NC, which is also a great town with tons of artists, etc for exploring.  Asheville is the home of the Biltmore Estate, which would make a great day trip.  You can also take a trip on the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad--they even do a zip-line excursion.
    It's also at a high enough elevation that the heat is much less intense than usual in July.
    And, it's within 2 hours from Atlanta airport or Asheville airport, both which ranged about $350/ticket for flights; fairly reasonable.

Good luck; you can definitely find something that works!
  • AZ would probably fit a lot of your requirements, but definitely DO NOT come in July if you are looking to escape the heat (though you'd probably get great airfare/hotel rates that time of year).  Just last week it was still 106, this week is cooler, at 95.  If you are willing to delay your HM, late October/early November is usually great weather.

Even then though, I think $2500 might get a little tight with flights/hotel/rental car plus all your food and activities.  Ideally, I think you'll get more for your money if you find somewhere within driving distance.  Have you considered New Orleans?  I know there's still ocean there, but it's also an interesting city, so you don't have to center your activities around that stuff.  You'd probably still be better off postponing until the fall to avoid the heat & kids, but it could work.
  • DaniBelle15DaniBelle15 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2013
    I appreciate the input from everyone. So far there are bits and pieces but nothing that has all (or most of) the elements we are looking for.

Postponing the HM was something we considered when we first started planning everything but due to circumstances it's a "now or never" sort of thing. We have to take it immediately after. Being that it is during summer vacation we know we're going to run into kids at some point if we leave our room. I do know that there are adult-only resorts but those are out of our price range. There are some B&Bs that we've come across that don't allow children but location and price squashed that.

Our first pick was a place called Salish Lodge in Snoqualmie, WA. We nixed that because of both price and pine trees. Quite frankly my heart is still set on it, but I know it can't happen. If I could find a place like it (a spa resort that was atop or adjacent to a waterfall/body of water) on the East Coast that's nestled in isolation, I'd be ecstatic- if we could afford it.

The reason we don't want to go somewhere like the Howard Johnson is because we're looking for a more special experience. That's why we were interested in a B&B the second time around. We'd picked a place that's far away from everything but still close to where we'd want to go. We were going to take a road trip up the coast and stop at little towns along the way, then do a tour of the New England area and visit little wineries and museums and what-have-you. But this lone B&B is already booked for our travel dates, and the others in the area we can't afford to stay at.

You know the show Once Upon A Time? If I could find a place like Storybrooke to honeymoon in, oh man, we'd be in paradise. We don't want to go to some worn out spot that everyone knows about. We want a hidden gem (where we can get stellar massages, champagne and truffles delivered to our room each night, and a whirlpool jacuzzi tub).

We've still got a few months to go before we HAVE to settle on something. Picking some destination because it's a bargain but in an area we have no interest in being in is not what we want to have to do.

Here's to hoping =/
  • Have you looked at discount sites like Groupon or Living Social?  Sometimes their travel deals are for cute little B&Bs in less popular towns.  Even if you don't end up buying one of those deals, it might be a place to watch to get ideas for places to go.
  • Oops, I missed the "July" part of this equation - that definitely does knock out my Arizona suggestion.

OP - look into B&Bs in Virginia. There are a lot in the western part of the state as well as around Charlottesville. Lots of them appear on LivingSocial and you can get some pretty great deals. DH and I used to live in the area - last summer we found a LivingSocial coupon that gave us 2 nights in a great B&B including a packed lunch one day, a bottle of wine for our room, and some other perks for a reasonable rate (just over $200).

I recommend Charlottesville because it is a GREAT small city with a fun downtown mall you can explore and stroll along, free live music on Friday nights during the summer, and it's got a ton of great wineries in the area. Cville is a college town, but during the summer there are hardly any students there - it's actually the best time to visit. Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home) is nearby and is definitely worth an afternoon. About 30 minutes to the west of town is Skyline Drive, which has some beautiful views of the countryside. There are also some great places to go hiking - Crab Tree Falls and Humpback Rock are two local favorites. It does get a bit warm in the summer there, but August is the really bad month - July isn't too horrible, especially since you're used to FL weather.

If Charlottesville isn't the right place for you, there are plenty of charming little towns in the western part of the state - the B&B DH and I stayed at was in Lexington (local activities include a visit to Natural Bridge and a safari park).
  • A Rocky Mountain state?  Maybe Wyoming or Colorado?  There are some gorgeous places in that area of the country.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited September 2013
    Unless you have all of the time in the world or a completely unlimited budget, it's going to be very hard to find something that ticks all of the boxes of any list. I think some great suggestions have been made and I think you need to sit down with your FI and prioritize those items that you want. There are plenty of brides that don't get to HM at all and any trip that you take as a new married couple will be special, regardless of where it is.

• My step dad is from West Virginia and he clued us in on this place : http://newrivergorgecvb.com

We've been wanting to go but haven't been able to get there yet,so,I can't attest to what it's like.
  • My step dad is from West Virginia and he clued us in on this place : http://newrivergorgecvb.com

We've been wanting to go but haven't been able to get there yet,so,I can't attest to what it's like.

This is a great suggestion. I've rafted on the New River a bunch of times. I always stay at Class VI.

• What about Oregon?  We went to Eugene and traveled down to Bandon Dunes.  It was gorgeous, economical and had lots of outdoorsy stuff to do.  It was kind of rural/rugged but the people were fantastic and the food was great.  It would be nice there in July. 
  • WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    Colorado has more options than I can post here.   Have you considered doing a VRBO instead of a hotel?  You can save a ton on food if you are able to make a grocery store run and do most of your meals yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards