Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridal Shower Hostess Gift

Hi Everyone, I tried to search for similar threads but mostly found bridal shower complaints, questions about the guest list, gifts, etc. Anyways, my cousin and sister (MOH) are hosting a small luncheon/shower for me with all of our female relatives that are invited to the wedding.

What would be an appropriate gift for the hosts? I really appreciate them doing something because they absolutely do not have to and I know everyone has lots going on in their lives. I want to thank them for thinking of me and hosting something during such a meaningful time in my life. 

Any suggestions? What have others done? If any of you have hosted bridal showers, was there a gift you got from the bride that you loved?

Re: Bridal Shower Hostess Gift

• Options
    I think it really depends on their personality. Like a BM gift, get them something personal that you know they would like such as concert tickets for a music lover, some great wine for the vino lover, jewellery for the girly girl etc. You know your friends, and get them something that you would for their birthday. And, as always, a prompt thoughtful handwritten thank you note as well.

It is refreshing on these boards to hear a proper etiquette question and not about a bride complaining that she cannot host her own shower :)
  • Options
    The minimum I would suggest is a heartfelt thank you card. For throwing showers I have always received a nice card and that really meant the most to me. On top of that it has usually been something small and along the lines of hostess gifts you would give for any reason - wine, fancy bath products, etc. If you can pick something small and personal I'm sure the receiver will be happy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think it needs to be over the top. I had two showers and I got one a bottle of wine & candle she likes and the other a Alex & Ani bracelet since she's into them. I spent around $30 each, but there isn't a wrong or right number. 
  • Options
    Consider her personality and likes that you know about, and then go from there.

If you know that she really likes a certain store or restaurant, you might purchase something for her from that store, take her out for a meal at that restaurant, or get her a gift card. 

If there's a movie or show you know she'd like to see, you might purchase her a ticket.

If she does a hobby, maybe something in keeping with that hobby.

It really depends on her.

Best of luck!

• Options
    Personally I like a nice umbrella. It goes with the shower theme and is something everyone needs but hates to buy.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I have helped host a bridal shower before, but I didn't receive anything for it (I wasn't expecting anything though)...

I did, however, once host a baby shower for a very dear friend at work.  A few days later, she handed me a card and inside she wrote the sweetest message- made me cry!  I'm a sucker for handwritten letters and cards, so that was enough for me!

• Options
    Thanks everyone. Well from what I gather a hand written note is a must and I will make sure to do that. I am glad to see that some cute/small gift is appropriate. All the "shower" theme stuff like the umbrella sounds kinda fun.

My sister is a huge craft beer lover so maybe I can figure out something with that. Or I know jewelry or makeup is always a huge hit with her. She is very girly! 
  • Options
    Craft beer lover! That's easy!

Go to your biggest local liquor store and get her a 22 oz bottle of an exciting beer. Pick any label that appeals to you, looks exciting, etc. When in doubt, you can't go wrong with something from Belgium.

Enjoy your shower!
  • Options
    Booze is always nice!

I had never heard of shower host gifts until coming here, but so glad I did. My bms threw me a shower so I got them a little bag of shower gel and bath salts and had a tag saying something like, "thank you for showering me, here is a little something for your shower!"....though that isn't the exact wording and sounds a little creepy! Lol. You get the point!

• Options
    thkeweddingthkewedding member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2013
    I was recently a bridesmaid in a wedding. The bride gifted us with these soy candles that have a ring in them, and it's a chance to have a ring worth $10, $100, $1000, or $5000 in them. I was excited about it just to see if I won a diamond ring worth $1000 lol. (I only got the $10 one) The candles smell really nice as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    For my first shower I got these cute little bathtubs with Bath and Bodyworks stuff in them and put a card in that said from my shower to yours. For my other I went with more personal gifts. One girl I got a Vera Bradley planner that she had been eyeing and the other shatterproof wine tumblers so they could drink wine safely in their new hot tub. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I plan to go shopping this weekend and see what I can find :)
  • Options
    sthorne91 said:
    I was recently a bridesmaid in a wedding. The bride gifted us with these soy candles that have a ring in them, and it's a chance to have a ring worth $10, $100, $1000, or $5000 in them. I was excited about it just to see if I won a diamond ring worth $1000 lol. (I only got the $10 one) The candles smell really nice as well. 
    Any idea where she got them? They sound neat.
  • Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2013
    sthorne91 said:
    Any idea where she got them? They sound neat.
    It's diamond candles. They smell AMAZING.http://www.diamondcandles.com/

ETA: that's such a good idea and I might steal it to use for my MOH, mom, FMIL and FAIL(aunt) who are hosting my showers. such a good idea. There's not a store though, it's all online.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Thanks! I am so poaching these I think! ^__^
  • Options
    Thanks! I am so poaching these I think! ^__^
    Haha. I love them. I digged my ring out though. The candles burn forever too because they're huge. FI got me one for my birthday this year. Shipping is steep, but you can find free shipping deals too.
  • Options
    Someone needs to suggest to them to make a "Rain" scented one (Shower!) but there are several that look like they will smell good enough to eat! O_o 
  • Options
    hmmm I thought they did... they switch out candles often though. Usually by seasons.
  • Options
    I decided to buy one of those soy candles...I got the Caramel Apple Cider one. I will probably get something else small to go with it. Thanks everyone! 
  • Options

That's a kind sentiment!  I wrote my two sisters (who were co-MOHs and threw my shower) heartfelt thank you cards a few days after my shower.  I didn't think to get them specific presents for that though.  I did keep their work on the shower in mind when I gave them bridesmaid gifts on my wedding day (pashmina shawl and $300 in gift cards to their favorite stores and restaurants).  Since you'll be giving them bridesmaid gifts on or near your wedding day, I'd say a smaller token of appreciation immediately following the shower.

I went all out for my sister's shower a couple months ago, and was touched to receive a sweet thank you card from her.  There wasn't also a gift, but I hadn't been expecting one.  The card was more than enough, since I'd been so happy and excited planning and throwing her shower.

• Options
    Yeah, it's just diamondcandles.com. They're really awesome, you can find videos of girls getting diamond rings! I think you might be able to find them on Amazon too.The website offers occasion ones, I'm not sure if they have ones for Bridal showers though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards