Honeymoon Discussions

Check In! What are your plans?

Tell us about what you have planned or are trying to plan!

Where are you going?
For how long?
How soon after the wedding?
What are you most excited about (keep it clean ;) )?
Anything else you'd like to share!

Re: Check In! What are your plans?

• I'll start.

We're going to England, Scotland & Wales

We're going for 11 days.

We're going about 5 months after wedding. We both work at schools, so we're leaving the week after our Seniors graduate.

Most excited about showing her where I studied abroad in college!
  • edited September 2013
    I'm an old married lady!

I've actually been married twice. First time, I went to French Polynesia for 10 days (Tahiti, Taha'a, Bora Bora.) we left two days after the wedding. This time, I went to Australia for 2.5 weeks. I also got married there, so my HM started the second my vows were over :)

As for my next trip, i'm heading to French Polynesia again for a week next month.

ETA: i'm looking forward to being back in paradise!

• This post is so appropriate for a Friday :) 

We are going to Bora Bora for 8 days, then 1 night in Tahiti and one night in LA on our trip back to NY

We are leaving the Tuesday after the wedding (4 days later) once our friends and family have all left

I am most excited about finally traveling where i get to just RELAX and not work. I travel a lot for work, but It's been two years since our last real vacation :)

Wedding is 3 weeks from today!!!!!!
  • We went to Cabo for a week for our HM, left the day after the wedding.  I was the most excited about the resort we stayed at because it was brand new and looked beautiful in the pictures (they didn't exaggerate).  

• Where are you going?  Kauai
    For how long? A week
    How soon after the wedding? Next Day
    What are you most excited about (keep it clean ;) )?  Relaxing with the Fiance.  He's in the AF so I don't get to see him much right now.
    Anything else you'd like to share!  Future MIL works for Starwood hotels so we get to stay at the St. Regis with a Westin budget!
  • We're heading to Costa Rica one week after the wedding for a week. Currently toying with the idea of taking another week-long trip to London and Paris 2 months after the wedding too!
  • We went to Jamaica for a week. Left the Tuesday after the wedding, so that we could unwind for two days before leaving. I also managed to get out all of my thank you notes before we left, which made me really happy. Before going, I was most looking forward to the fact that it would be the first time DH and I ever flew together - we'd never travelled such a long distance together before so had only ever driven places.
  • Where are you going?  We went to Key West for 6 days and Miami Beach for 2 days

For how long?  8 days

How soon after the wedding?  We left the Monday after our Saturday wedding
    What are you most excited about (keep it clean ;) )?  We were most excited for some needed relaxation and to also spend time together.  We hardly ever go on vacations where it is just the two of us so we were excited to finally have some one on one time.

Anything else you'd like to share!  I found out that my ocean loving husband who spend hours out in the surf up here in MD was completely freaked out about snorkeling while I, who hates going into the ocean, was completely in love with the warmth and clearness of the water in KW.

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    We went to French Polynesia.  We were supposed to leave a week after the wedding but we had to reschedule our wedding with Hurricane Sandy so we ended up going on our honeymoon a month before the wedding.  I desperately want to go back.  :)
  • We did a cruise through the Eastern Med, starting in Venice and ending in Athens.  We hit Greece, Italy, Israel, Egypt and Turkey.  We then flew to Istanbul for 3 days before coming home.  I think we were gone about 3 weeks total.  

We got married in March 2012 in Hawaii, but decided that since family and friends were there, it didn't feel like much of a HM, so we booked this one and went in July/Aug 2012.

It was our first cruise, but we were both most excited about Israel and Egypt.  We got 2 days in each country.  Istanbul was also high on our list.  We thought the cruise would be perfect if it hit Istanbul, but it didn't and flights from Athens were cheap.  So glad we did, cos it was one of my favourite places.  

• WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    Where are you going?  - New Orleans

For how long? - Five days 

How soon after the wedding? -  We'll leave the Monday morning after the wedding because our family will still be in town on Sunday.  We're coming back the following Saturday night so DS has a full day back with us before going back to the school routine.

What are you most excited about (keep it clean ;) )?  The awesome music and food

Picking the honeymoon location was the hardest part of planning the wedding. We aren't beachy people so that eliminated a bunch of locations.  We didn't want to travel more than 3-4 hours and many of the other cities we wanted to go to (Seattle for one)  are kind of gross in early November.  November is also too early for good skiing.

ETA:  My 6 year old DS is fairly upset  over the idea of us going on a fun trip without him.  We're also going to do a 3 day familymoon to San Diego with him over his winter break and take him to the zoo and Sea World.
  • This post is so appropriate for a Friday :) 

We are going to Bora Bora for 8 days, then 1 night in Tahiti and one night in LA on our trip back to NY

We are leaving the Tuesday after the wedding (4 days later) once our friends and family have all left

I am most excited about finally traveling where i get to just RELAX and not work. I travel a lot for work, but It's been two years since our last real vacation :)

Wedding is 3 weeks from today!!!!!!
    I think we might be in Bora Bora at the same time! I'm actually be doing a bit of island hopping, though. Where are you staying?

• Where are you going?  We went to Kauai, HI
    For how long? a week
    How soon after the wedding? Married June 7th 2013, Honeymoon was Aug 31-Sept 7
    What are you most excited about (keep it clean ;) )? We are new business owners so it was our first vacation in 2 YEARS!!  and our business ran itself while we were gone, so we actually made money even while we were on vacation.  That and it was just awesome to be ALONE (we are living with MIL while we house hunt).
    Anything else you'd like to share! Kauai was beautiful, but if we go again we would want to island hop I think.  We enjoyed it but after 4 days we wanted something new to explore.  Still enjoyed every minute of it though.  We had a blast zip-lining, snorkeled in a variety of spots and just enjoyed exploring the island.

Anniversary
  • @jells2dot0 we are staying at the Four Seasons while in Bora Bora, not sure where he booked in Tahiti
  • @WinstonsGirl - what cruise line did you use?  H and I would love to see Italy and Greece and other Mediterranean locales and it seems like a cruise is a great way to go about it.

• @kmc- I'll be over at the Sofitel Private Island. Have fun at the Four Seasons! It's amazing.

• Where are you going? We're spending 1.5 days in San Juan before our cruise to the Southern Caribbean.
    For how long?  In total, 10 days away.
    How soon after the wedding? We're leaving the Thursday after our wedding (we're getting married on a Sunday).
    What are you most excited about (keep it clean ;) )?  Probably introducing my soon-to-be hubby to my favorite way to vacation (since you get to see many different places).  (And I like how the OP had to put a footnote for this one.  :) )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tell us about what you have planned or are trying to plan!

Where are you going? Virginia Beach, VA (w00t!)
    For how long? Monday to Sunday
    How soon after the wedding? Week after the wedding (because the week of is 4th of July... I'd rather save money on hotels for activities)
    What are you most excited about (keep it clean ;) )? Doing two (yes, TWO!!) Capt. Jack's Pirate Ship Adventures The first one is for adults only party scene and the other is a Parrot Head Party for 21 and over of relaxation and some good country drinking music :)
    Although I live 45 minutes from VA beach (and go OFTEN) I'm uber excited about just waking up and hanging out in the ocean. Also can't wait for good eats and partying it up with my hubby!!! (and also no dogs interrupting us...)

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Where are you going? South Africa, Zambia, and Mauritius
    For how long?  14 nights on the ground, plus two overnight flights (boo)
    How soon after the wedding? We leave the Friday after the wedding - so almost a week later
    What are you most excited about (keep it clean ;) )? The vacation! i'm a huge international traveler, but i was forced to forego my normal two-week trip in 2013 so i could save up for the honeymoon.  Aside from a quick 4 nights in St. Lucia in December for a wedding, I won't even leave the country in 2013!  I'm super excited for the safari, and super-not-excited for the extremely long coach class flights (i'm out of points and can't upgrade us both.  sad face).
  • delujm0 said:
    Where are you going? South Africa, Zambia, and Mauritius
    For how long?  14 nights on the ground, plus two overnight flights (boo)
    How soon after the wedding? We leave the Friday after the wedding - so almost a week later
    What are you most excited about (keep it clean ;) )? The vacation! i'm a huge international traveler, but i was forced to forego my normal two-week trip in 2013 so i could save up for the honeymoon.  Aside from a quick 4 nights in St. Lucia in December for a wedding, I won't even leave the country in 2013!  I'm super excited for the safari, and super-not-excited for the extremely long coach class flights (i'm out of points and can't upgrade us both.  sad face).

Are you flying direct to SA or do you have a layover? We flew through London so, we had the 10 hours to London and then 10 hours to SA. It was the longest trip I've done to date. We had these ridiculously long layovers as well. Thankfully, we did use our miles for biz class, because I needed a shower in between flights.

• @Maggie0829 We used Princess.  We felt a lot safer going into Israel and Egypt (especially Egypt) as part of a cruise tour group versus backpacking it on our own.  We did the Holy Lands tour on the Pacific Princess, which is a much smaller ship (about 650 people??)  

• Tell us about what you have planned or are trying to plan!

Where are you going?ARUBA!!!
    For how long?7 days and 7 nights
    How soon after the wedding?5 days after because my FI wanted to be with his family for Christmas (we're getting married Dec 21)
    What are you most excited about (keep it clean ;) )?Open air massages on the Marriott private island with a bottle of champagne.
    Anything else you'd like to share!We're going skydiving!  All my friends and family think I'm nuts, but I say that if I'm brave enough to get married, I should be brave enough to jump out of a plane!  It's like a trust fall... from REALLY HIGH UP!

• Are you flying direct to SA or do you have a layover? We flew through London so, we had the 10 hours to London and then 10 hours to SA. It was the longest trip I've done to date. We had these ridiculously long layovers as well. Thankfully, we did use our miles for biz class, because I needed a shower in between flights.

I considered a layover that i saw in Paris, but that would basically mean a second overnight flight - and we'd rather just blitzkrieg the flights and get it over with.  We're getting to Johannesburg from JFK - 17 hours in coach.  If we can make it through that, we can make it through anything!  FI "doesn't read" and has trouble sleeping on flights, so i'm going to have to entertain him like one would entertain a small child, at least until the movies start up.  i'm thinking he can work on his thank you notes perhaps.  that threat might actually cause him to take up reading. :-)

This doens't count how we're getting to JFK (either that morning or the night before via Charlotte where we live - my family is in NJ so we may go up the night before), or the fact that we're not staying in Johannesburg at all, so will have a connection on the back end to Kruger - that one is short at least.

• That is one brutal flight!!! My DH did not sleep for more than 1-2 hours on each flight. So, by the time we got to Mauritius (we didn't stay the night in J'burg- we went straight on), he was barely moving. We went to bed around 8pm that night and he didn't wake up until 2:30pm the next day. And that was only because I finally woke him up to make sure he was alive!  

• I've had decent success with OTC Unisom and a glass of wine on every overnight flight I've ever been on but all but one of those was in business class...and the one that wasn't was only from Hawaii to Phoenix, so only about 5-6 hours.  I'm hoping that combo has the same effect in coach.  We'll see in June i guess!

On the way back we are doing Mauritius to Jo'burg to JFK to Charlotte all in one fell swoop.  Should be interesting.  i pray for a decent movie selection on South African Airways.

• @jells Thanks!! We are so excited
  • We are cruising (driving) the California Coast.  7 Days.

We will fly in to LA the day after our wedding and stay there over night.  We've rented a luxury convertible and will drive from LA up the Coast to San Fran staying in various places along the way. 

• Where are you going? Rivera Maya
    For how long? 8 Nights 9 Days (early flight there and late flight back)
    How soon after the wedding? Monday after
    What are you most excited about ? Going somewhere new with the then "Husband" :)  
    Anything else you'd like to share! Each year we travel somewhere and do something new, this time I am taking him scuba diving so I am thrilled about that!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am doing a very small, family-only destination wedding in Oahu, Hawaii...so to escape the family and have our own time we are leaving the day after our wedding (which will be Christmas day) and flying to the big island. We are only staying for 5 days but we will be in Oahu a few days before the wedding so that sort of counts too haha. I am most excited about going to the volcano because I think that will be super cool! Also I am very excited because it will be the first time we have gone on vacation just the two of us. We have gone on a couple of cruises with his family before but that is it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards