Honeymoon Discussions

st lucia?

me and my fiance have changed our minds and are going to st lucia for our honeymoon.

PROS AND CONS of st lucia

my main concern is it safe to travel off the resort and into the island or is it better not to? 

Re: st lucia?

• edited October 2013
    Don't even worry for a second about the safety. It's totally safe!
    We just got back last weekend from a week there! 
    We stayed at Sandals Halcyon and hopped around to the other to. We also hiked the Pitons, walked through the market, and did ziplining. The people were wonderful, they all speak perfect English(you will learn that they speak a slang form of their own creole inspired language called Patwa, but English is their official language therefore they learn it in school), the food is great (bananas, mango, coconut, etc are all native there so soo much fresh produce!) 

If you're staying at a Sandals, you can easily buddy up with the people that work there and they are more than happy to go out on the town with you if you're worried about it, but you really don't need to be. 
  • Agree with pp, perfectly safe. We stayed at Sandals Grande (Gros Islet) and walked into Rodney Bay village. The locals are very friendly.
  • ooo good!! Im so happy to hear that I know some island are stay on resort kind of places and my fiance would not follow that rule for more than a second so I just wanted to check. 

We are going to stay at sandals which do you recommend? I am sure they are all about the same right meaning they all include the same and can bounce around from the other two. 
  • Me and my fiancé are planning on Sandals in St Luica, and I was going to ask about the resorts there and looks like I found my answer. I was also worried about traveling over there and the being safe.

• It totally depends on what you want to do. The Grand is the BIG one so you will find a lot more younger couples there and will undoubtedly find new friends to buddy up with. You will also be in more of a hotel style room (not on a ground floor, etc). It's more of the party place, so if you feel you need a lot going on at all times, this might be the place for you. They had the best pool area (although all places have sweet swim up bars!)

La Toc is the medium sized place that has the main spa and golf course. It has the least amount of people on the beach haggling you. (the beach part is technically public, so no matter where you stay, there will be a few guys trying to sell your their merchandise of bracelets and things. THey are really all super sweet guys! Promise! Totally safe and kind, but this can get annoying at places like the Grande, a little annoying at Halcyon, but La Toc is the most secluded so they don't have nearly the amount of guys there. 

We loved the halcyon because we could get a cottage walk out room that had the best view of the water, was quiet during the evenings, had an AMAZING hibachi place (la toc has one as well, but I heard it's not as good), and it was more mellow so it was ALWAYS super easy to get water sport stuff. We had a mix of older and younger crowd there, but it's just the smaller place overall so you never have to wait for anything. We hopped on the catamaran, kayaks, paddleboards, water skis, etc without having to wait for anyone to finish. 
    The other bonus to Halcyon is that it's the middle resort, so it's 12 minutes or so to get to either of the other resorts (they have shuttles running for you to just hop on!) So if you were to stay at La Toc, it would take a half hour to get to the Grande. Staying at Halcyon made it super hopskipjump to either. We liked this. 

Here are a few pictures! 

I genuinely believe that you can't go wrong no matter which place you choose. I would consider what you liek out of a hotel. We really wanted to be on the ground floor with a little sitting area out front and we wanted to be able to just a couple steps from the sand. THat's why we chose Halcyon. But we said multiple times that had we chosen one of the other two, we would have been just has happy. The staff was wonderful, the food was great, the drinks were great (and they fully stock your in-hotel room bar for you to always have booze :P ), the beach was gorgeous. We couldn't have asked for a better trip. 
  • We've been to the Grande twice. Reviews and pics in link above my siggy pic.
  • I am SO happy I stumbled on these posts - my husband and I will be traveling to St Lucia - Sandals Halcyon in May 2014 & I just wanted to say thank you ladies for posting all the information and pics above - this was very helpful and now I am even more excited about our trip :)

Anniversary

Vacation
  • Yeah I agree with Smitthen2012!!! I think we are going to go with haclyon in Sandals. I can not wait to go! 

When in May are you going! I am going then as well! 
  • Aaaaah thats so amazing @clanager03 :) I am sooo excited to finally have a trip to look forward too! All the reviews I read have been amazing & we will be traveling May 10 - May 15 :) Are those similar dates that you guys will be there?
    Anniversary

Vacation
  • yeah I know me and my hubby have only had one vacation since we have been together (6 years!! ) and that was over night to hershey park lol! I can not wait to go! 

Ahh man we will be there the following week the wedding is the 16 so we are leaving the 18 i think 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards