North Carolina
Options

Lake Gaston, NC

I am helping my sister plan her destination wedding in Lake Gaston, NC (which apparently is in the middle of nowhere) and we are coming up empty on wedding vendors and resources.  Mainly looking for make-up, hair, rentals, djs, and flowers.  Any help is appreciated! 
photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg

Re: Lake Gaston, NC

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Hey there!  I am getting married in Lake Gaston, also!  I will be happy to help you with vendor recommendations, if you'd like!  What is the guest count(or approximation), budget and wedding date?

Venues: Consider renting a lake house, a few are set up specifically for events like this and I can give you recommendations for that.  We are renting one that is awesome and regularly has weddings there.  It can sleep 24 people, I think, so you can put your wedding party or family up there.  We plan on having around 150 guests, which the house will easily accomodate.  It's even better for smaller weddings.

There's also a local "country club" type thing but it's horribly outdated(80s) and has a bunch of water stains on the ceiling tiles.  They wanted to charge us almost $12,000 to have people there from 4pm-10pm, which included food, booze and a DJ.  However, the club is located on an RV/camping type of park so they invite the campers in to share your DJ at 9pm and give them access to the bar.  We didn't want a bunch of random people coming in so we said no to that option.  

Flowers: Lake Gaston Flower Shop, Terri is AWESOME!

Photography: Les Atkins Photography, I just did my bridal portrait with him and I was extremely comfortable the whole time.  He offers reasonable packages and will customize for you.

Cake: Shannon at Simply Divine Cakes by Design.  She doesn't have a website but her Facebook page is Bakery and Simply Divine Cakes.  We loved the tasting and her prices are very good.

Hair: Darrin at Renaissance Spa and Salon in Roanoke Rapids...he will travel to the site for an extra fee.

Catering: The 1020 Restaurant in Roanoke Rapids.

Tent/Equipment Rentals:  For Your Occasion Party Rentals in Henderson, NC.  They have been to our venue multiple times so they know what size tent, etc to recommend if they've gone to a site before.

Makeup: There are Mary Kay consultants in the area but none were available for my wedding so I'm just doing it myself.  

Without knowing more about the event, that's about as specific as I can get.  Feel free to PM me for more info or my email address if that's easier for you :-)
  • Options
    PS tell them their April 27th bride referred you ;-)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help!

It's going to be a very DIY/friend-or heavy day -- our friends have a lake house, which is why my sister and her fiance chose Lake Gaston, and we were lucky enough to be able to rent two houses next door for guests. The friend who owns the house is an amateur photographer, a friend is getting ordained to officiate, and i'm making the cake.  It's going to be fairly small .. 50 people max, with the ceremony on the dock at the house (we're working on a plan B for rain), and the reception is going to be at Water's View across the lake.

They are keeping their wedding very low-key, but we'll still need flowers, hair, and rentals, so I am definitely going to start looking into your suggestions above.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Okay, be careful with Watersview.  We looked into having ours there but we've heard a lot of recent reports about food poisoning :-/  There was even a rumor that they were closing but I think that's just a rumor since I drove by a few days again and they were still up and running :-)

I hear ya on the friend/DIY thing...I'm usting the vendors I listed plus a day-of wedding coordinator that is coming in from Raleigh.  I'm going to need our wedding party to help decorate the house :-)
  • Options
    Oh yea, our DJ is Chuck Edwards from Soco Entertainment, $100/hr.
  • Options
    My sister's fiance is dead set on Watersview -- apparently they have a good beer selection.  But good to know that info!  We have a wedding venue up here in PA that's been threatening to go out of business for years and has some questionable food inspections and they are still booked for weddings 2 years out!
  • Options
    Good luck!  
  • Options
    Hi! I am recently engaged and would like to get married in the Lake Gaston area. I am aware of one large house on the lake - maybe where you are getting married - but would you be able to recommend any others? I love the one you selected, but is far from my parents' home.

Thanks so much! and Congratulations!

In Response to <a href="http://gay.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_lake-gaston-nc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:c52596be-bbcf-4522-a2cc-531195ed85f0Post:0f1be4e0-c6e9-481e-9bfd-8535a5c2dbae">Re: Lake Gaston, NC</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey there!  I am getting married in Lake Gaston, also!  I will be happy to help you with vendor recommendations, if you'd like!  What is the guest count(or approximation), budget and wedding date? Venues: Consider renting a lake house, a few are set up specifically for events like this and I can give you recommendations for that.  We are renting one that is awesome and regularly has weddings there.  It can sleep 24 people, I think, so you can put your wedding party or family up there.  We plan on having around 150 guests, which the house will easily accomodate.  It's even better for smaller weddings. There's also a local "country club" type thing but it's horribly outdated(80s) and has a bunch of water stains on the ceiling tiles.  They wanted to charge us almost $12,000 to have people there from 4pm-10pm, which included food, booze and a DJ.  However, the club is located on an RV/camping type of park so they invite the campers in to share your DJ at 9pm and give them access to the bar.  We didn't want a bunch of random people coming in so we said no to that option.   Flowers: Lake Gaston Flower Shop, Terri is AWESOME! Photography: Les Atkins Photography, I just did my bridal portrait with him and I was extremely comfortable the whole time.  He offers reasonable packages and will customize for you. Cake: Shannon at Simply Divine Cakes by Design.  She doesn't have a website but her Facebook page is Bakery and Simply Divine Cakes.  We loved the tasting and her prices are very good. Hair: Darrin at Renaissance Spa and Salon in Roanoke Rapids...he will travel to the site for an extra fee. Catering: The 1020 Restaurant in Roanoke Rapids. Tent/Equipment Rentals:  For Your Occasion Party Rentals in Henderson, NC.  They have been to our venue multiple times so they know what size tent, etc to recommend if they've gone to a site before. Makeup: There are Mary Kay consultants in the area but none were available for my wedding so I'm just doing it myself.   Without knowing more about the event, that's about as specific as I can get.  Feel free to PM me for more info or my email address if that's easier for you :-)
    Posted by lch0708[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Hi, I would like to get the information from you about the houses for rent for weddings. 
  • Options
    Hello,
    I am recently engaged and we are hoping to get married at Lake Gaston, NC. We would like to rent a lake house and have ea more of a DIY, layed back wedding. Does anyone have any suggestions for lake houses to rent that are able to accommodate a wedding?
    Thank you in advance for the information,
    Julia
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards