May 2014 Weddings
Options

Newbie needing help with colors

Hi All, 

My fiance and I are getting married May 17, 2014 but we have NO idea what colors we want to use. I know I want my flowers to be bright but that is all. My fiance will either be wearing a black or dark gray suit. I am thinking purple but not sure. Any suggestions?

Re: Newbie needing help with colors

• Options
    Best advice I've heard from a florist: Don't make your bouquet too bright, unless it's a loose bouquet. Otherwise it will look like you are carrying a basketball down the aisle.

I loved a purple and grey combination, but we ended up going with bright blue and Tuscan yellow. If you do purple, lilacs might be in season, depending on your area.
  • Options
    Do you know where you're getting married? If you aren't set on colors sometimes you can take your color cues from that. Also, what kind of a feel are you going for? Do you want romantic, fun, playful, etc.? Some colors help set the tone better than others.
  • Options
    Congratulations!! We're date twins :)

I agree with PPs, the setting and the theme can really help set the tone.  Plus the season might dictate which blooms are in season and might be a better bang for your buck.  

Is there a special flower that holds significance to you?  Or just one you think is pretty?  Maybe that will help you decide. 

Keep us posted on what you decide!
  • Options

Hi there! We are getting married May 31st. I really love bright colors too (I feel it really represents both our personalities). After much looking around (and at one point wanting every color combination out there)... we decided our main color will be fuschia pink with some yellow and mango accents thrown in :)

This picture was the main inspiration for my colors....

• Options
    kellibastienkellibastien member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    I can tell you from personal experience, shy away from mint and peach/blush/rose. I can tell you this because they are my colors and 172972349759797900000 others colors too, haha. Try not to go on trend with the colors if you want something unique.

• Options
    I too am doing a dark purple with light grey.  I knew for sure I wanted grey because my FI would look so incredibly handsome in grey as opposed to black.  I also liked grey because it gives it a slightly less formal look to the wedding without it being too casual.  As for the purple, well, I love purple, and I think purple and grey are just awesome together. :D  Good luck, and you'll find what colors match you and your FI's personality soon.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My colors are peach and silver. Our wedding ceremony will be outdoors in a rustic setting. My peach will be rich to complement the silver, not too light. And my silver will not be too shiny. The colors are more important to the reception site than the ceremony, we're gonna pretty much let nature speak for itself at the outside ceremony (:
    -anjo (aka the future mrs miley :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm getting married May 17th too!

We're using several different shades of pink.

This is my bouquet.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm getting married May 17th too!

We're using several different shades of pink.

This is my bouquet.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our colors are whites and metallics with a lot of mercury glass and silver.  I ended up buying this crazy brooch bouquet on etsy, which I wasn't originally planning on, but I saw it and it fit so well with the color scheme, I just had to.  Don't judge me on the price- I know that it's insane. http://www.etsy.com/listing/150748285/diamond-wedding-brooch-bouquet-deposit?ref=shop_home_active

If you haven't met with a florist yet, it might be worth going to talk to one just to get an idea of your options- they can help point you in the right direction if you're feeling lost.
  • Options

@ohxhi That is so gorgeous! If we had the budget for it... I would be doing something along those lines as well! I've seem some really unique ones out there that I just love!

• Options
    Oh my goodness, that's beautiful @ohxhi ! We're going for warm pinks (nothing TOO dark or bright), corals, peach, ivory, a little lavender (FI's fave colour is purple), and a lot of greenery to keep it fresh. I'm just hoping we can keep it looking modern and not like a girly tea party or a little girl's birthday!

• Options

I'm going with gray and purple.  The bridesmaids are picking out their own dresses in shades of gray and then for color I am doing purple flowers. 

• Options
    I'm getting married May 4th 2014 and our colors are dark purple and light gray. The bridesmaids are going to be in a deep plum purple with my groom in a light gray suit. My bouquet is going to be mostly purple lilacs with a few tulips in between. I'm also adding rosemary for greenery. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards