Second Weddings

Wedding after Civil Ceremony- ideas

Hey there, My husband and I got married at his family home last year. Because I am from New Zealand and he, Canada, we had to have a civil ceremony due finances and familyfar away. We decided that we will have a big 'wedding renewal' next summer, with all my family and friends. Our civil ceremony only consisted of us and 3 witnesses. My question is, what sort of wedding 'structure' should we be looking at. Because we are already married, it does not feel right to do the entire wedding thing- cut the cake, walk down the isle with my father, long speeches etc. I do not want our gueststo think we are trying to hard to make it a traditional event as it is really our renewal. What sort of things can we incorporate into the day, how would the ceremony take place, speeches etc? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, B

Re: Wedding after Civil Ceremony- ideas

• You're right- it shouldn't feel right to do all traditional things of a wedding. You already had a wedding, you are already legally married, so you should not be trying to re-create anything. I highly recommend having a celebration that is a really big party. Dress up in a cocktail dress, have a plated dinner, have dancing, and you can even have speeches, but do not wear a wedding dress, do not have a shower or any bachelor/ette parties, and do expect gifts. There is nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate your marriage with others after a more private wedding, but it should be a celebratory party rather than trying to redo a wedding.

• Thanks for the reply. I do not want to have a huge white dress, but was thinking of a very simple ivory dresses. I have seen people wear those for anniversary/renewals. You suggest that is not fitting? I really appreciate your suggestions :)
  • My suggestion it to treat this as an anniversary party with those who could not be at your wedding.  If you want to wear an ivory colored dress (long or short) you can do that it just shouldn't be reminiscent of a wedding dress. You had a small intimate wedding, which many on this board have chosen to do, therefore you are married.  

Have a big party, the plated dinner, dancing and speeches about your new lives as a family now.  Leave out the word wedding (plus it won't cost as much). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards