Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Where to fit in a prayer?

We are having a short, casual, non denominational wedding outdoors. While the vows and ceremony itslef will be non religious, I would like my cousin, who is in my bridal party, to say a prayer during the ceremony. (Our officiant would if we asked, but I would much prefer if it were my cousin). When would be the appropriate time to do this? Or do we need to do it later on at the reception? Our reception will be a little different as we are having guests go ahead and eat while we are taking pictures due to it being a dry venue and no cocktail hour. We decided they may as well eat and not have to stand around and wait while we do pictures. Therefore, it wouldn't be possible for him to do it before everyone eats. I would prefer it be done during the ceremony.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

Re: Where to fit in a prayer?

• You can insert it anytime during the ceremony.  What type of prayers is it?  Prayer will often be used to "open" and welcome a congregation.  A prayer blessing the couple just prior to or after saying vows would make sense.  A concluding prayer offering thanksgiving for the couple, family, and friends would also be appropriate.  Select the prayer first and let the words of the prayer lead you to the proper time of the ceremony.
  • Ask the officiant where it would be most appropriately slipped in.

• mobkaz said:
    You can insert it anytime during the ceremony.  What type of prayers is it?  Prayer will often be used to "open" and welcome a congregation.  A prayer blessing the couple just prior to or after saying vows would make sense.  A concluding prayer offering thanksgiving for the couple, family, and friends would also be appropriate.  Select the prayer first and let the words of the prayer lead you to the proper time of the ceremony.
    This.
    Anniversary
  • No one else finds it weird that guests will be eating dinner without the couple present?!

• itzMS said:
    No one else finds it weird that guests will be eating dinner without the couple present?!

This!

• manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, wait - you need to be there while people are eating! Feeding them is your thank you to them for attending your wedding. You need to be there to thank them. 

You can have a dry cocktail hour! Just call it a refreshment hour or something. Just serve punch and light appetizers while you take pictures. 

I agree with mobkaz on the prayer. 

ETA: Also, just do as many pictures as possible before your ceremony. As long as you aren't traveling around, other pictures shouldn't take more than 45 minutes or so. 
  • Sembree1 said:
    We are having a short, casual, non denominational wedding outdoors. While the vows and ceremony itslef will be non religious, I would like my cousin, who is in my bridal party, to say a prayer during the ceremony. (Our officiant would if we asked, but I would much prefer if it were my cousin). When would be the appropriate time to do this? Or do we need to do it later on at the reception? Our reception will be a little different as we are having guests go ahead and eat while we are taking pictures due to it being a dry venue and no cocktail hour. We decided they may as well eat and not have to stand around and wait while we do pictures. Therefore, it wouldn't be possible for him to do it before everyone eats. I would prefer it be done during the ceremony.
    Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

Agree with mobaz on the prayer, it can be anywhere in the ceremony.  Also, I would advise having a "cocktail" hour while you are taking pictures.  I think guests would be uncomfortable eating dinner without the bride & groom present.  Also, when you get back from pictures, everyone will have finished eating, which will have you & FI pulled in many different directions.  It may prevent you from eating dinner yourselves.

You don't have to have alcohol at a cocktail hour.  Just offer some non-alcholic drinks and some appetizers.

• IloveshanejIloveshanej member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    Our ceremony is pretty non religious but we are having an opening prayer. Also, I would serve punch and appetizers while you take pictures. Your guests eating without you seems very odd.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There are lots of places you could have a prayer during your ceremony.

Our officiant suggested to have a prayer (if we wanted one) after the declaration of marriage and kiss, but before the signing of the register. 

As said you could also do it as part of the "welcome" to open the ceremony or as part of the closing before the B&G are announced as husband and wife. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards