Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is it rude to invite people who live far from the wedding?

FI, myself and our families agreed (or so I thought) that the wedding should be in FI's hometown because it made the most sense for the most amount of people. Most of my family and all of his family lives near his hometown, but my parents moved away, so they do not. However, they understood why we wanted it to be there and, despite being a bit disappointed, still offered to contributed to our budget. Their gift was very generous, and I repeatedly told them that if they were upset about the location, I understood if they didn't want to pay for any of wedding. They insisted, saying that I was their only daughter and they were honored to help pay for my wedding, etc.

Everything was going swimmingly, until we started nailing down the guest list. When I got my parents, a ton of their friends were missing. When I asked my mom about this, she said "Well it would be terribly rude to invite our friends and imply that we expected them to travel all that way!" (It's about a 17 hour drive, so pretty much requires a flight). I told her I didn't think it would be rude at all and that she should invite her friends and if they chose not to travel, that was fine and their decision. I said if anything, their close friends may be hurt to not get an invite and the opportunity to choose to go. She got irritated and said that to invite people who lived so far from the wedding would be like saying "I know you can't come but you should send a check."

I don't see it like this at all. Ultimately, if they don't want to invite their friends it's their business, but is what she's saying true at all? I think it's crazy. I'm inviting friends who are far away and don't expect them to feel obligated to come or send anything ... I just want to give them the heads up I appreciate them and would love them there. 

Is my mom being crazy, or am I out of line?

Re: Is it rude to invite people who live far from the wedding?

• Options
    It is not rude to invite someone.  If they don't want to travel all that way then they simply RSVP no.  
  • Options
    An invitation is not a summons that requires someone to spend their life savings to attend no matter what. They can choose to decline it.  There is no reason you can't invite guests from anywhere. 
  • Options
    I don't think it's rude but I would also be unlikely to invite quite as many people if the wedding were far away.  My mom had a whole table full of her church friends...and another of high school classmates of hers who she's friends with.  Of those, I would probably only invite 4 of those as they're long time dear friends of my mom's...the rest wouldn't get an invite.  I don't blame your mom for tapering the guest list down.  There comes a point where it seems gift grabby.
  • Options
    We invited all of DH's family from Chile, and friends from England. We knew none of them were going to make it, but we wanted to offer them the opportunity to attend if their plans changed.  We also wanted them to know that we were thinking of them and would have loved for them to join us.  

We also had friends of my parents who said they couldn't come to our DW.  We sent them an invite anyway, and they changed their minds and made the trip.  You never know who will make the trip, so invite them if you truly want them there.  

• Options
    Your wedding is not an obligation. If you invite someone who can't afford to come, then they don't have to come!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    It better not be. About 80-85% of my guest list is people who live at least 100 miles away. Our wedding is local for us & our parents, but ALL of our extended families will have to travel. That's just the way it is for a lot of folks--people move so much nowadays!

Invite who you like. Your guests are perfectly free to say no if the trip is too much. I'm inviting my great-grandmother. I know it is *highly* unlikely that she could make the 550-mile trip, but I feel wrong not at least acknowledging her!
  • Options
    No, it isn't rude to invite people regardless of where they live. If someone from far away wants to come and can, there's no reason not to invite them if you really want them there.

Invitations are not invoices for gifts. Your mother is wrong about that.
  • Options
    If it is rude, than I'm being rude to my entire guest list. As PPs have said, an invite isn't a summons to come but just what if says, an invitation. It they can/want to attend, they will, otherwise they will decline.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    I don't think it is rude to invite people who live far away. But i think in yiur case you should honor your mother's feelings. They are her friends and it could be a "know your crowd " situation. Perhaps she and her friends feel this way and it has been discussed among them previously. Either way, they are her friends and if she prefers you not invite them i wouldn't. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I agree with @photokitty.  It's not rude to invite them, but let your mom decide whether or not to invite her own friends.
  • Options
    It's not rude to invite them. Your mother is wrong. I also wouldn't want her friends to feel slighted by not being invited. They can make the decision to travel or not.
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
      WonderRed said:
    An invitation is not a summons that requires someone to spend their life savings to attend no matter what. They can choose to decline it.  There is no reason you can't invite guests from anywhere. 

Ding, ding, ding! This.

• Options
    Not rude. They have the ability, power, and right to decline if they don't want to travel.
  • Options
    If that is rude then I'm being rude to 95% of my guest list.  I don't think there is anything wrong with inviting people from far away.  As it has been covered already, an invitation =/= a summons.  From what I've heard at family functions a lot of our family is excited to travel the little ways (NY to PA) to see our wedding.  One of my uncles joking calls a DW all the time!
  • Options
    I dont think it is rude.  However if you are having a very short reception and not serving a meal... aka cake and punch reception for an hour... I would definately make it clear.  I would be disapointed if I traveled 17 hours to only attend a 1 hour party. 
  • Options
    I don't think it's rude. My FI are having a private ceremony, and not many people know about it. We're inviting all of his family, if for nothing else to let them know we're getting married. He said we shouldn't invite a lot of them (his family lives all over, so we chose to have our wedding near our home town, most of my family lives there.) because they live so far away. But I said nonsense, our wedding is short notice and during the holidays, so I don't expect any of them to show up, but maybe an aunt that he didn't think would want to come would be really hurt if she didn't at least get an invitation. I told him worst case scenario, she RSVPs no. And we aren't even asking for gifts. We understand that we are getting married during the holidays, and not giving people much notice to make travel plans. If people show up that is their gift to us.
  • Options
    It isn't rude to invite your Mom's friends, but I would consider how "close" they are before issuing the invite since it is a long distance.

Are these people your Mom's "bestest" friends who are almost like family?  Invite them.  

Are they "just" friends from your mom's crafting group that only see each other once a month?  Maybe you can cut those. 
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    This would not be something I'd push with your mom, were I in your position.  You've stated your opinion and she's told you how she feels.  Perhaps she knows her friends better and knows they would feel obligated to send something and would see it as rude?  There were maybe 5 people (out of 180) who were local to where hubby and I got married.  I invited who I wanted to because I wanted everyone there, but I'd assume that it wouldn't be worth it to cause tension with your mom over her friends.
  • Options
    This is the first I've ever heard of? I agree with everyone in here, I don't think it's rude at all. I agree that it would be the opposite, that they would be hurt if they didn't receive anything. 

Putting your registry in your invites seems greedy, but not this at all. My side of the guest list is all on the other side of the country. 

What kitty8403 said about her grandmother, there's going to be people that you already know is going to RSVP "No" but letting them know that you would of wanted them there means a lot to some people. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lauralee1723lauralee1723 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013

For my wedding, we invited certain people who lived far away but knew they wouldn't be able to come, like my grandmother, because I knew it would hurt her feelings to not be invited. In fact, when she received her invitation, she sent me a text to let me know she was thrilled to have been invited, but that she probably wouldn't make it. So I know it made her feel good that we thought of her.

On the other hand, when it came time to give a guest list to the person who hosted my shower, I only invited local people who I was pretty sure would be able to make it. When my mom asked me if I had invited some people who live out of state, I told her I hadn't because I knew they wouldn't be able to make it. My mom asked me if I thought I should have invited them anyway so they wouldn't feel left out, but I told her that I felt like that would seem too gift-grabby, since the purpose of a shower is to give a gift, and she said that was a good point.

All this to say, I don't think it's rude to invite someone who lives far away to the wedding, but I would probably not invite them to other wedding events, especially any showers or other gift-giving parties.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Right, like I said at the end of my post, I know that it's ultimately my mother's friends and her decision. I'm just frustrated/confused that she's excluding some people who are very close to her just because she doesn't want to "obligate" them to come. Is this worth pushing? Should I keep trying to convince her it's not rude, or just let it go? I just don't want my mom to unintentionally offend her close friends by not inviting them. 
  • Options
    Right, like I said at the end of my post, I know that it's ultimately my mother's friends and her decision. I'm just frustrated/confused that she's excluding some people who are very close to her just because she doesn't want to "obligate" them to come. Is this worth pushing? Should I keep trying to convince her it's not rude, or just let it go? I just don't want my mom to unintentionally offend her close friends by not inviting them. 
    I wouldn't push this too far.  In my opinion it sounds like her mind is made up.  If you have told her more than once its not rude, and its okay and she still won't listen then Iw ould just let her be.  I know you don't want to look bad because your mom didn't invite these people, but your mom may know how they would react better than you.  I wouldn't make a mountain out of a mole hill KWIM?
  • Options
    I wouldn't push this too far.  In my opinion it sounds like her mind is made up.  If you have told her more than once its not rude, and its okay and she still won't listen then Iw ould just let her be.  I know you don't want to look bad because your mom didn't invite these people, but your mom may know how they would react better than you.  I wouldn't make a mountain out of a mole hill KWIM?
    Yeah. I just feel bad, like I really think some of the people she left off would love to come and could afford and be very willing/excited to make the trip. But I guess you have to choose your battles ...
  • Options
    Your mom should, however, be prepared for people to ask. If these people are truly close friends, chances are they are expecting to be extended an invitation. Your mom might want to develop some sort of answer for those questions...a polite one of course.
  • Options
    Agree with the above- not rude to invite people to a wedding from out of town. Also not rude for the guest to decline. Not expected of declined guest to send a gift. 

FI and I now live out of province from where we grew up, and are having the wedding where we grew up where most of the family is, but most of our friends live where we live now. We also have some friends who have moved abroad (one couple moved to Austrialia- we invited them, they declined, NBD). My FI also has some extended family who lives in Europe that we invited- they unfortunately are unable to attend as well but were happy to receive the invitation none the less. 

But, if your moms mind is made up, likely not much you can do about it, unless she should bring up the conversation again. 
  • Options
    You're correct that it is not rude to invite out of town guests.  They're not obligated to attend.
  • Options

I think a lot of brides' (and families') hesitation on this issue stems from the fact that inviting people to a wedding whom you know cannot attend is often seen as a gift grab. I don't necessarily agree, but I get where people are coming from.

It sounds like your mom's mind is made up, but you might want to reiterate once again that inviting those far away friends to the wedding will be seen as an honor, not an obligation, and will more than likely be most appreciated.

• Options
    They will feel obligated to send a check though.  Your mom is right about that.  And some of them will say " she knows we cant afford to travel that far, guess she just wants a gift" . 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards