Catholic Weddings
Options

Pre cana question?

hyechica81hyechica81 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
edited October 2013 in Catholic Weddings
my fi is catholic, me i was baptised catholic in my dads church but then when i was 5 my mom wanted to go back to her church armenian orthodox i have been raised in the christian church all my life. my fi really wanted to get married in his church so i  agreed. he went to set up the stuff with the secretary and she informed him that the cut off for a saturday wedding is 1pm. our reception time starts at 7 and there was no way we would be able to have a 1pm wedding end at 2 and then a reception at 7 that would put out our guests and making it a supper long day for them. the out of staters would have to go back to the hotel and the locals would have to drive home then drive back later didn't want that.

at first my fi did not understand why i did not want them to wait, but then after us going to a wedding this past summer and things not starting on time and us having to wait for the ceremony to start and then head over to the reception he realized waiting even for a hour for things to finally start was not fun.

he ran into hs godmother at church and was telling her how the priest wont budge for a later ceremony which would have to start at 530 last mass ends at 5 he was afraid people would be upset that he chose another church and his godmother said no one will get mad i understand and she agreed that the church should bend a little bit and not make it hard for couples who choose to have evening weddings.

most places here the day weddings start at 12-5 for reception and evenings start at 630-7  very few places have earlier start times like 3pm but they are also out of our budget.

so i talked to him about my church and how its very similar to the catholic wedding ceremony we have the option to have the service all in english with only 4 minutes of it being in armenian or we could have the whole thing in armenian. we are going to do the english. plus we have no cut off or start time restrictions we could do a service at 430 to end at 530 receaving line till about 545-6 pictures close by and then our guest would have a 20 minute drive to the reception place by the time they get there get parked would be around 620 not a huge gap to wait plus everyone would congregate to the parking lot anyways to talk 

anyways he still wants to go through the pre cana classes because he feels it would be go for us. 

do we still need to do them ? he wants to invite his priest to my church would we need to have the classes if his priest is coming? in my church we have no such classes you meet with the priest and talk over details and such.. 

if we really don't need to do them i would be fine with it but he really wants to do them. 

Re: Pre cana question?

• Options
    You need to involve his priest, and you might be expected to complete pre-cana.  A Catholic is bound by proper form to be married in a Catholic church.  He will need to get a dispensation to marry in your church, which he can only get by talking to the priest.

At this point it is important to make a very big decision: what church will you, as a family, attend?  In which church will you raise your children?  I get that you are inconvenienced by the available times and I'm very sorry for that, but your wedding is a single day, and your marriage is life-long.  The choice of church shouldn't be about what time you can get married -- it should be about involving God in your marriage.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I found them really wonderful.  My FI and I agree on all the big stuff , but it was nice to really reflect about the meaning of the sacrament.  It brought up a few things we hadn't talked through.  If your FI wants to do it, I'd go for it, if I were you.  I don't think it can do any harm and you'll probably benefit from it.
  • Options
    church is very important in my life and his we have decided to raise any children if we have any in my church. but we will be bringing them to the catholic church on special ocassions. i had no clue about the dispensation i have known plenty of catholic people get married in a non catholic church and they did not have to get any kind of dispensation.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2013
    In order for a Catholic to marry validly, they must promise to raise their children Catholic. As well as marry in the Catholic church (unless receiving a dispensation from form). 

Even if the form is given a dispensation, allowing you to marry in another church, the prescription for a valid marriage must still be there in the other ways, including raising children catholic. You will have to attend marriage preparation. 
  • Options
    you shouldnt make your decision of where to get married based on where you can have the most convenient wedding time!

Your FI needs to talk to a Catholic priest to find out what will be expected of him, if he wants to remain a practicing/active Catholic.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards