Wedding Party
Options

Groomsmen gifts

Probably the wrong place for this but... my FI is stuck on what to do for groomsmen gifts. He was thinking of doing sort of what I did with the bridesmaids which was to get each of them an identical item memento type gift plus an individualized type gift as well. The individualized is easy, not sure what to do for the memento type gift.

challenge: The groomsmen do not drink or smoke: so no flasks, mugs, cigar holders or lighters... and my FI is a knife enthusiast so the idea of a cheap knife with personalized engraving doesn't sit well with him (and he can't afford "proper" knives for them all.)

Any suggestions?

Re: Groomsmen gifts

• Options
    There is really no point in spending money on an 'identical memento' that no one's going to use. Individual gifts are quite sufficient and preferable.
  • Options
    Shaving kit/toiletry bag, wallet, money holder, tie clip, cuff links, pocket watch, compass, multipurpose tool (like a Swiss army knife), "catch all" tray, valet, personalized fishing lure, nice mug, coasters, framed picture of the groom and each groomsman or all of them as a group, fancy pen or one that has their name/initials on it, luggage tag, or watch case.
  • Options
    My FI found this shop on etsy that makes t shirts with a cartoon image of the groom and GM and he is planning to get that for his men. I love that idea!!! The guys are going to wear that tshirt under their suit and then take a pic of them like showing the t shirt.
  • Options

I shopped for my bridesmaids as if it was their birthday or Christmas- no matching gifts, nothing they had to wear on wedding day, etc.  Gifts included gift cards to their favorite restaurants, a pair of boots one had been eyeing, a gift certificate to a spa for a massage/facial for another, season of another's favorite TV series on DVD, etc.  I shared this advice with hubby and he had an easy time doing gift cards, certificates for a day of golf, a box of another favorite cigars, etc.  Assuming your fiancé's groomsmen are his nearest and dearest, just advise him to focus on their interests and take it from there. Good luck!

• Options
    My DH decided to get his GMs Invicta pro diver watches with a navy blue face (our colors were navy and ivory). Yes it was "jewelry". Yes they were all identical. No, he didn't ask them to wear them the day of. 

I didn't really argue with him and tell him to shop like it was their birthday. I guess I could have, but it wasn't really a battle I cared about.

*********************************************************************************

• Options

I found a shop on etsy that prints out vector images of each GM's family crest.  I then framed it in a nice frame from Ikea.  I bought the frames first and the esty shop owner was able to adjust the size of the image to fit the frames I purchased.  They came out really nice and 2 of the 3 GM have it hanging in their homes.  I'm not sure of the 3rd GM, H hardly goes over to his house and I have never been.

• Options
    GrrArghGrrArgh member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013

I found a shop on etsy that prints out vector images of each GM's family crest.  I then framed it in a nice frame from Ikea.  I bought the frames first and the esty shop owner was able to adjust the size of the image to fit the frames I purchased.  They came out really nice and 2 of the 3 GM have it hanging in their homes.  I'm not sure of the 3rd GM, H hardly goes over to his house and I have never been.

Oh that's a brilliant idea, do you remember who you went through on Etsy? This would be somewhat over kill  in an unintentionally themed sort of way but still I think very nice (so will do something else to go along with it so as not to be hokey) seeing as how we got all the boys involved, 4 boys ranging from ages 9yo-2yo some type of knight sword set varying by age. All of the GM are family members, actually the entire wedding party is save for one BM this has just sort of been the tradition in both our families. It has actually worked out sadly well, my fiance was in the army for around a decade and pretty much all of his close friends are either deployed or no longer with us. :-( 
  • Options
    I don't understand why the individual gift isn't enough of a memento. They don't need your names and wedding date on the item to remember your wedding.
  • Options
    I never said it would have our name or wedding date on it. As a matter of fact, if you read the above idea it wont have anything to do with us. Why are people so irritated by the idea of an individual and group inspired gift being given? 
  • Options
    I never said it would have our name or wedding date on it. As a matter of fact, if you read the above idea it wont have anything to do with us. Why are people so irritated by the idea of an individual and group inspired gift being given? 
    I apologize if I jumped to conclusions. I don't think anyone's irritated by a "group inspired" gift so much as some of us wonder why. Usually, when brides come here to ask about that type of thing, they want their name and wedding date on the item as a way for the recipient to "remember the day". As you said, the individual gifts were easy. In my opinion, they are most appropriate. If nothing immediately comes to mind, it's probably best to skip it.
  • Options
    I guess the confusion comes in as I'm not asking if he should or should not. He has said he wants to just as I have done for my BMs, just looking for gift ideas not acceptance.
  • Options
    I think Doeydo gave you some great options. You're going to have to be kind of generic with these since they are supposed to be for everyone. 

Does FI have a "thing" with the group of them (e.g. a boys night, favorite sports team, common hobby)?

Also - relax. People just think it's odd (myself included) - that doesn't mean they are accepting or rejecting you. 
  • Options
    PDKH said:
    Also - relax.. 
    Fair enough, I'm probably more tightly wound tonight than I realize. :-/ And unfortunately no, he doesn't really have a thing with any of them beyond being blood related. Which is why I think doing the family crest thing OliveOilsmom suggested would be nice seeing as how everyone is related to either him or me. (Thankfully not both! We aren't that far south!!)
  • Options
    Here is a link to one of his etsy pages, clicky.  He made a special listing just for me that included all 3 family crests that I needed.  So I would convo him first.  He will also need to know which country the last name is from.  For example, one of the last names I needed was Meade, which has both English and Irish connections - and each coat of arm is different.  And I would make sure you buy the frames first, so he knows how big to print out the coat of arms.
  • Options
    katieg520 said:
    My FI found this shop on etsy that makes t shirts with a cartoon image of the groom and GM and he is planning to get that for his men. I love that idea!!! The guys are going to wear that tshirt under their suit and then take a pic of them like showing the t shirt.

Do you think the GMs will ever wear those shirts again? My bet is that they will use them to clean their cars.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards