June 2014 Weddings

Fi and I can't agree...

When he first popped the question he said he wanted to elope in Las Vegas. I told him that I didn't really like that idea. I thought we could have a destination wedding in Georgia where his family lives. They are about an hour from the coast, and I thought a beach wedding would be fabulous.
Since then we have determined that we do not have the budget for the type of wedding and reception we were originally planning, and things just keep getting worse.
In both families, mine and his, we are the people with the highest incomes and the ones that help out when family needs it. We have come to realize that family and friends may have a difficult time getting to our wedding even with a years notice. If we get married as originally planned, in Georgia, my family will not be there, unless we pay to get them there and for lodging while they are there. If we get married in Kentucky/Indiana where my family lives, then his family will not be able to attend. If we get married in Kansas City where we live, our friends will be there but none of our extended families will be able to attend.
After explaining this to FI last week he developed this solution:
We should get married in GA, and have a reception for his family there.
Then we should travel to IN and have a party with my family.
Then upon returning home we should host another party for all of our friends here.
I think this is WAY to complicated, and just do not have time to plan a wedding and reception 800 miles away, a party 550 miles from home and a party at home.
Does anyone have any suggestions beside eloping, because I am really not fond of that either.
Sorry this is so long Thanks!

Re: Fi and I can't agree...

• Oh my! That really sucks that you both are from different states. I honestly have no suggestions other than elope, party in one state and party in the next. I'd skip the friends party tbh unless you want it. BUT the parties could just be a BBQ in someone's back yard with good eats and music on an ipod/laptop
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• I agree with @melbelleup, you don't need to have a friend's party.

However, if you do maybe your friends would be nice enough to plan it themselves as a wedding gift to you and your new husband! That way, you don't have to plan 3 events yourself.

I would plan the wedding in Georgia and then have a party in Indiana with your family. 

Or you could go to a resort in the Bahamas and get married there then go visit family afterward and celebrate.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards