Catholic Weddings

Priests, Nuns, etc in your family?

Do you have any relatives in religious orders, priests, deacons, nun, etc? Do you have a good relationship with them? Any interesting stories from their experiences?

Re: Priests, Nuns, etc in your family?

• My FIL's brother is an ex-priest, married to an ex-nun. (lol. but not really.)
    Apparently MIL occasionally keeps in email contact with his wife, and they were planning on coming to our wedding, but I guess FIL's brother is just really weird, and they cancelled at the last minute. MIL thinks that the wife wanted to come, but he didnt. So, yeah... I guess you could say that isn't really a good relationship!
    Anniversary
  • Hubby has an uncle that is a priest serving in Nicaragua. I forget what order he is with. It's a very tough area - he doesn't have hot water, and the crime is intense. But his little church is like the safe haven for children. He's such a humble, reserved man - it's amazing to speak with him and hear the amazing things he is doing for this little community. He doesn't get home (to Ireland) that often - maybe once every few years. And he actually feels uncomfortable when he is home - because life is so different.

When my father was really ill, he said mass for him and the children prayed with him for my father's recovery. My father did recover - unexpectedly and miraculously. I know those prayers helped!
  • No priests or nuns in our family. But we do have a close family friend who was just ordained a deacon this past November.
  • My great uncle is a priest.  He's retired now, and in very poor health.  He celebrated the wedding ceremonies for my parents and my siblings, but wasn't able to make the trip for mine :(  He loves clothes.  The man owns more black shirts than anyone I know lol!  Oh, and he's a little bossy...my Nana always said it's because no one ever says no to priests, so he just can't fathom not getting his way lol!  Their relationship was always really cute/funny to me.  They talked every.single.day until my Nana passed away.

• My former MIL's sister was a nun.  She was very bossy and always told my MIL how to raise her kids.  But she would just die laughing when I would bring my infant son to visit.  A side story - their great uncle had a trust that paid out interest and dividends to them and their 4 other siblings every year after he died.  The trust stated that when one of the siblings died, the income was to be divided up among the remaining siblings (not their children).  So, one by one they died until it was just my MIL and the nun.  They had a bet who was going to live the longest (the nun being the second oldest and my MIL being the second youngest).  My MIL lost and all of the income for the final years went to the convent.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Both of my parents had an aunt that was a nun.  I only have fond memories of them.  Both have passed away, but the one is some of my earliest memories and we still tell joking stories about her among family members.  I've been very fortunate growing up, my family is devote Catholic, and I never had the the horrible nun experiences, in fact my one aunt was pretty kick butt.
  • I've heard that one of my family members from my maternal grandfather's side - not sure exactly who, if it was one of his siblings, or a cousin, something like that - went into the convent when she was young.  Apparently it was a situation where the father in the family was abusive and the mother kind of pushed her into it to get her out of the home.  She ended up leaving before taking her final vows to actually become a nun.  I think she even ended  up writing a book/memoir of some kind about her experience, I'll have to ask my mom about that and see if I can find it.
  • my birth mother was in the convent in her early 20s for a couple years before she had me.
  • Two of my great Aunts were nuns.  Both super nice and very funny :o)  My Grandma (their younger sister) went to go into the convent but they told her that wasn't her calling lol.  Thank goodness though or I wouldn't be here today!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My mom's cousin is a nun and her brother is the priest that married DH and me.

We had a very good relationship with the brother but we fear that he's plagued by some form of mental illness and he has hurled awful insults to my family members  - including my 96 year old grandmother who is one of the most wonderful Catholics I know.   Since then, we have lost touch with the brother but his sister is around all the time and is an absolute joy.

• I have a second cousin who is a priest. Ive never met him. But, one of my closest friends is a nun. I must tell you, I envy her sometimes. She's just so dang happy. Her community has a blog that they update regularly with what's going on at the convent, and in every picture she is beaming. It's really obvious that this is truly her vocation. She was made for it. I have two close male friends in seminary too. One is going to be dual-ordained Roman and Maronite, which is pretty cool. The other is going to be a Franciscan. I saw him at a wedding about a year after he entered seminary and he looks so funny with a beard! Before seminary he was a very straight laced guy with a good job in finance, so to see him ditch the three pier suits for robes and a scraggly beard has been fun.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have lots of religious in my family. My favorite uncle (now deceased) was a Jesuit priest, I have an aunt who is a nun with Our Lady of Victory Missionary Sisters (age 94), I have a cousin who is a Franciscan priest, and a cousin of my mother's is a parish priest. Oh, and my grandmother was a Third Order Carmelite. We're debating asking my cousin to concelebrate our wedding. But I remember my uncle saying he preferred being simply invited to weddings rather than having to "work" them all the time. I have more stories from him than I can include here!

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Robert Fulghum<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• My aunt is a nun.  She was a teacher for a long time and actually taught Brett Favre's daughter.  Never got to meet him though.  Apparently he wasn't horribly involved in his kids' schooling.

My uncle (brother of nun) was in the seminary to be a Priest.  Then he met his wife lol.
  • My uncle is a priest. His lives part time in Haiti and the United States. It would actually be cool to have him involved but I don't know how to approach the subject with our priest.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards