Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Is a hair/makeup trial necessary?

I'm super psyched about the salon where my bridesmaids and I will be going for the wedding, but my budget is a bit tight. I've had my hair done many times in an updo for past school dances and proms, to varying degrees of success at different salons, and I had my makeup done once before. The salon that we are using for my wedding is not a place that I have ever been before, but they have great reviews and photos on facebook, and I got to tour the facility.

The problem is, the hair and makeup test will cost me over $150. I have photos of what I'd like, I know the makeup color family that I typically use... plus, my bridesmaids won't be having trials before the big day. I'm really not too picky, my hair is straight/wavy/long and not terribly difficult to work with, and my ceremony doesn't start until 5 so I have hours that I'm able to spend at the salon before the photographer shows up just in case the appointment takes longer than expected ... will I regret it if I don't get the trial, and save some money instead?

I'm just going to wash off the makeup and take down my hair after the trial anyway. Too fancy for me on a normal day!

Re: Is a hair/makeup trial necessary?

• I, personally, would suggest a trial run to test out the salon if you have never been there. But I understand not wanting to spend the money.
  • I'm having my hair and make up done at the salon that I've gone to for years by the same girl that always does my hair. I'm still having a trial before the wedding. I think I know what I want for my hair, but I want to see what it actually looks like and how it will look with my dress and veil.

Also, just because you have hours doesn't mean that the salon does. They are going to have other clients that day and you will have an allotted time. If you don't like your hair they might be able to re-do it once, but I'm going to assume that after that your time is going to be up. That's the main reason that they want you to schedule a trial. That will give you more time to figure out what you like and play with your hair.

• Get the trial. I'd understand if you were going to your regular stylist but you don't know these people or their work.

We went to a beauty school for one wedding. I was a bridesmaid and my hair took more than 2 hours because it was so thick--more work than the bride's! It's a good thing we had an early appointment, because getting everyone done without a trial threw us off schedule for the rest of the day.
  • If it's not your normal go-to stylist, a trial is worth it. It'll help you realize what you do and don't like on yourself and give you one less thing to worry about on your wedding day. 

Could you try to squeeze the trial in on an occasion day? Another wedding, a fancy date night with fiance?
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    Definitely splurge for the trial.  It will be one of the most important and photographed days of your life!  Cut your budget somewhere else, but do not leave this to chance. 

FWIW, I did a makeup trial and HATED my first one.  I actually went and found a new makeup artist.  I spent money on TWO trials, but had I just booked the first, I would've been so upset the day of my wedding.  I can't imagine going into my wedding day not knowing what to expect.

Another thing to keep in mind.....the day flies by.  You may think you have hours, but it's going to go by in a blink of an eye.  If you don't have things nailed down, you're going to get stressed quickly.  I was at the hair salon at 7am, traveled to the hotel, had makeup, lunch, got dressed, first look, photos and only had an hour to spare before the ceremony started at 6pm.
  • I'm definitely doing a trial. I'm using a salon I go to regularly, but have not had an formal style done there.  In past for formal event's I have never been crazy about the end result and I want to make sure I like the style I pick before the actual day. 
  • I did my own makeup, but hired someone to do my hair. I went with the trial because I wanted to be sure she could do the style I wanted and that it would look good. Plus, we learned that I needed extra bobby pins and hairspray to make it stay in place. And my style on the wedding day looked better than the trial because she'd already practiced it. So I really think it's worth it to splurge on the trial.
  • I did a trial with my regular stylist. I had brought my veil with me too so we could play around with the placement of the veil so there would be no issues on my big day (took the veil out before I left the salon after trial). I was very glad that I did a trial on the makeup because I ended up being allergic to the brand the salon uses/sells and my face broke out within hours of having the makeup applied. I still had the same person do my makeup, but due to my reaction they allowed me to bring in my own makeup for her to use. It would have been horrible using their makeup on the day of my wedding & by time I got to the reception being all broken out. I would have cried.
  • I did a hair trial, but not make up trial. 

The make up I'm going to go with is pretty neutral, so I'm less worried about the stylist screwing that up. Though if I had an unlimited budget, I would've gotten it done as well. But, hair is a lot pickier. Even though I showed the stylist a picture, my hair came out a bit different than I wanted- still lovely, but not quite the look I was going for. At the same time, the stylist also tried some things (like pieces hanging in the front) that I didn't think I wanted but after seeing them, I decided I liked them. So now I know what I want and I have pictures of my ideal hair style as well as the trial style, so I can let the stylist know what I'd like different. 

If you've never been to this stylist before, I'd do a trial. 
  • Depending on when you wedding is, is it possible to ask for GC for birthday / Holiday gift?  I had my hair done at a salon I went to for years, but we still went thru 3  styles until we got it right.  And if you can, go try your dress on with it done, see what the total effect was.   I was glad I did make up trial because I am very fair and they had issues with foundation.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards