November 2013 Weddings
Options

What Kind of Unity Ceremony Will You Have?

I have seen all kinds of ceremonies and am just curious what everyone picked, if they are doing one. I've seen the unity sand, cross-within-a-cross, knot-tying (literally), unity candle, etc.

Fiance and I have chosen to do a tree-planting ceremony, which we will keep in a pot until we buy our house together this spring and then plant in our yard. My daddy is giving us a very young fruit tree for the ceremony, and I found a lovely speech to accompany it.

Your turn! :) 

Re: What Kind of Unity Ceremony Will You Have?

• Options
    How cool...I've never seen a tree planting ceremony.

We are having a full Catholic mass and are incorporating the unity candle, lasso and arras (last two are traditional to the Mexican culture).
  • Options
    We're doing a tree planting as well! We're trying to decide between a citrus tree and rosemary bush, as we both love to cook. Our officiant is also blessing some seeds just in case. FI and I have a major case of the black thumb. Cactus is about the only thing we ever manage to keep alive. 
  • Options
    @MeganStates - would you mind PMing me the reading you found to go with it? Our officiant is writing one, although she's open to our suggestions. 
  • Options
    @MeganStates - would you mind PMing me the reading you found to go with it? Our officiant is writing one, although she's open to our suggestions. 
    Yes ma'am, one moment!
  • Options
    We're doing a family sand ceremony.
  • Options
    We are doing the unity candle. I wanted the sand ceremony, but my FI didn't so we're compromising he gets the unity candle ceremony and then while we are signing our marriage certificate we will also sign a document that we come up with. I don't know if anyone has seen the movie courageous, but what we sign will be a similar idea to what the men in that movie signed. Then we will frame it and hang it in our home, as I don't want to keep our candles from the wedding sitting out, as I've heard stories of other people lighting them, not knowing that they were from the couples wedding, and them melting away. We haven't come up with the wording yet, but will get on it soon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker:)

• Options
    We are doing the unity candle. I wanted the sand ceremony, but my FI didn't so we're compromising he gets the unity candle ceremony and then while we are signing our marriage certificate we will also sign a document that we come up with. I don't know if anyone has seen the movie courageous, but what we sign will be a similar idea to what the men in that movie signed. Then we will frame it and hang it in our home, as I don't want to keep our candles from the wedding sitting out, as I've heard stories of other people lighting them, not knowing that they were from the couples wedding, and them melting away. We haven't come up with the wording yet, but will get on it soon.
    You could just tell them " Let me light that " -- I would be offended if someone just came in and did whatever they wanted. 
    ~~~~~~~~

We did the unity candle at our wedding but we are doing a Foot Washing at the renewal. 
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• Options
    No unity thing- the ceremony is uniting us enough.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    You could just tell them " Let me light that " -- I would be offended if someone just came in and did whatever they wanted. 
    ~~~~~~~~

We did the unity candle at our wedding but we are doing a Foot Washing at the renewal. 
    I was thinking more like if we had a house sitter,  or years down the road and we have kids, either they or their friends light them. So I'd rather keep them put away with the rest of the momentums from our wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker:)

• Options
    No unity thing- the ceremony is uniting us enough.
    This.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 
      Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    We are using soil instead of sand because we are farmers and the soil is more meaningful to us. My dad is writing the unity part of the ceremony and I won't know what it says until the rehearsal. It should be very meaningful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards