Wedding Reception Forum

Moving Geusts Post-Dinner

Is asking guests to move after dinner crazy? My venue space is small, and I cannot fit both a dance floor and all of my guests seated at the same time. My caterer proposed simply taking down three or four tables after dinner and distributing those chairs about the room leaving space in the middle for a dance floor. Is this going to ruffle feathers or is it totally fine? Please don't suggest changing venues we've already put down the deposit and it's perfect for us, thematically. Looking for input, thanks in advance! 

Re: Moving Geusts Post-Dinner

• I would be seriously annoyed if I had to get up to move.  My table is my home base at events like a wedding and sitting at a chair by itself is not the same thing as having a table where I can set things down.  I hate having to balance things on my lap while in a chair.  IMO, very bad idea.  Does your venue have a bigger room you can move to? I realize you don't want to hear this, but that's a pretty major detail that you should have thought about before booking the space.
  • vanklema said:
    Is asking guests to move after dinner crazy? My venue space is small, and I cannot fit both a dance floor and all of my guests seated at the same time. My caterer proposed simply taking down three or four tables after dinner and distributing those chairs about the room leaving space in the middle for a dance floor. Is this going to ruffle feathers or is it totally fine? Please don't suggest changing venues we've already put down the deposit and it's perfect for us, thematically. Looking for input, thanks in advance! 
    It obviously isn't perfect if it can't accommodate your guests...  It is very rude to remove people's tables and chairs so that others can dance.  I refer you to a similar post: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/996035/tearing-down-tables-to-dance
  • Havana2014Havana2014 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2013
    WonderRed said:
    I would be seriously annoyed if I had to get up to move.  My table is my home base at events like a wedding and sitting at a chair by itself is not the same thing as having a table where I can set things down.  I hate having to balance things on my lap while in a chair.  IMO, very bad idea.  Does your venue have a bigger room you can move to? I realize you don't want to hear this, but that's a pretty major detail that you should have thought about before booking the space.
    I assume that the chairs will be distributed to existing tables - I doubt anyone will be left on a chair in the middle of the room holding their drink on their lap.
  • I see nothing wrong with moving your table.
  • If the theme is more important to you than the comfort of your guests, then you need to cut your guest list so it will fit this venue-not make your guests give up their tables.
  • WonderRed said:
    I would be seriously annoyed if I had to get up to move.  My table is my home base at events like a wedding and sitting at a chair by itself is not the same thing as having a table where I can set things down.  I hate having to balance things on my lap while in a chair.  IMO, very bad idea.  Does your venue have a bigger room you can move to? I realize you don't want to hear this, but that's a pretty major detail that you should have thought about before booking the space.
    I assume that the chairs will be distributed to existing tables - I doubt anyone will be left on a chair in the middle of the room holding their drink on their lap.
    That won't work.  Tables are usually 8 or 10 person rounders.  If those tables are already full there is no space to comfortably fit more chairs at them.  You might possibly fit one more chair but then all the chairs would be touching each other and it would very difficult for people to get in and out of their seats and couples/families would be split up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What type of head table are you having? If you are having the traditional "bridal party" only table, that would be the most logical table(s) to tear down. Typically, once those guests finish dinner and their obligatory seating, they scatter to the four winds to reunite with their SO's. Could you use some rectangular tables that would fit better alongside walls in lieu of some round tables? Then those tables might be able to remain.
  • If it can't be just you and the groom giving up your seats I'd rethink the seating arrangement.

FWIW, our venue said that they sometimes move the head table to make room for the dance floor.   We said no way to that and made sure we were seated by the window with our BP at two tables on each side of our sweetheart table.    No one moved and there was plenty of space for dancing.

Can you ask them for photos of how previous weddings were set up? 
  • Yeah, I'd be unhappy about this.  Where am I supposed to put my purse?  My camera (I don't always use my phone, I have a nice camera)?  Where do I sit while I eat cake?  Where do I put my cake? If the people I was seated with want to have a glass of wine together after some dancing where do we sit?  Where do I put my wine?

It isn't the perfect venue if you can't comfortably fit your guests and dance floor in there.  Please rethink this one.
  • I wouldn't like it if I were at one of the tables being forced to move.  not everyone likes to dance all night, id want a place to return to sit, leave my stuff, etc.  does the venue have larger tables to use? or maybe come up with a different table arrangement to allow more dance floor room?  
  • vanklema said:
    That's great you found a venue perfect for you, but it's obviously not perfect for your guests.  The reception is your way of thanking your guests.  Taking away their tables is not nice.  People like to leave their belongings at the table, have drinks, chat, and have a place to sit and eat cake and drink coffee, etc.

You really should have thought about this BEFORE booking the venue.   Is the theme/venue  more important than your guests?
  • mysticl said:

WonderRed said:

That won't work.  Tables are usually 8 or 10 person rounders.  If those tables are already full there is no space to comfortably fit more chairs at them.  You might possibly fit one more chair but then all the chairs would be touching each other and it would very difficult for people to get in and out of their seats and couples/families would be split up.

Once the meal is finished tables will accommodate more people and with people moving around, at the bar, up dancing etc it can work. It's nearly always done at weddings here and never causes issues. I don't think I've ever ended a wedding at the same table I started. After the meal things become more fluid, chairs become vacant, people move to sit beside friends etc.

• I personally would be PO if my table was cleared away for a dance floor.  I don't really like to dance and neither does my FI so crashing someone elses table so we could sit togethter doesn't make much sense to me. However there are still two options that come to mind without removing tables or changing venues.

1: Cut the guest list down and remove the need for extra tables.

2: Use rectangular tables along the edges of the venue to fit more people with less wasted space.

• WonderRed said:
    Once the meal is finished tables will accommodate more people and with people moving around, at the bar, up dancing etc it can work. It's nearly always done at weddings here and never causes issues. I don't think I've ever ended a wedding at the same table I started. After the meal things become more fluid, chairs become vacant, people move to sit beside friends etc.
    Only if you take some of the chairs away otherwise the chairs will be touching each other and that makes it very awkward for people to get in and out of their seats.   Yes, not everyone will be sitting down and people may move around to talk but they still need to have enough seating for everyone to sit down and have a "home base".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would be pissed if you got rid of my table.

• vanklema said:
    Answer: Yes, it is a bit crazy. Removing centerpieces, china, utensils, place cards, chairs and even the table itself in the middle of an event can be chaotic. It may alienate guests that prefer not to groove whether it be by choice or due to a medical issue (such as any elder guests). I know groups of friends who prefer to talk, eat, and drink all night to catch up with each other instead of dance. Perhaps you could do an hors d'oeuvre type wedding set up and then have cocktail tables instead? If you cannot do that I would suggest a smaller guest list to completely correct the issue without having to change venues.
  • I love to dance and do for most of the after dinner portion of weddings, but I would still prefer to have a home base at a table. Where would I put my purse? It wouldn't bother me though if the tables got pushed closer together to make room for the dance floor.

I've also seen weddings done where the dining area is different than the dancing area. This was done really well at a wedding I went to where the dinner was indoors and there was french doors leading outside to a tented dancing area. Can you use outdoor space to your advantage?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards