Honeymoon Discussions

Europe or Hawaii?!

My amazing fiance gave me free reign with planning the honeymoon... only problem is I cant decide on where to go and he is just about as sure as I am! We cant decide on wether to go to Europe (if we go there we will probobly do Venice or Paris) or doing Hawaii. We are from the US but we are getting married in Scotland....Whats a girl to do?!

Re: Europe or Hawaii?!

• We're going to Hawaii, so that's why I voted for it haha!  Although, I wouldn't turn down a trip to Europe!  I feel like Hawaii might provide for some more honeymoon romance than Europe.  I'm sure lot's of people will disagree, but I feel like there are lots of things to see and do when you're in Europe. It might be a little more busy that we would like.  FI and I plan on just spending alone time together on our honeymoon, so a private beach condo was perfect for us!

The European vacation might be more fun when we don't want to leave our room ;)
    Photobucket
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2010
    Scotland to Hawaii is an awfully long flight.  I'd take advantage of already being in Europe and honeymoon there.  Also, why don't you hit up two (or all three) European cities? 

Since you were thinking going to Hawaii, I'm assuming you're planning on at least a week.  You could easily do 3-4 days each in Paris and Prague, and maybe a 2-day stopover in Venice...  I don't recommend more than 2 days in Venice.  Good luck ;)
  • marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2010
    I voted for Prague, and like expat said, Venice is good for one or two days, but it's touristy and expensive. If you are looking for somewhere else in Italy, I always recommend Assisi or Siena. They were beautiful without being crowded or too expensive.
  • I would definitely stay in Europe if I were you.  A European vacation doesn't have to be fast paced if you don't want it to be, and it's sooo romantic.  I agree with the pp's that you really don't need more than two days in Venice though.  There's not that much to do there. 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you! :)
  • Thank you! :) i appreciate your input!
  • I change my vote to a European trip. I didn't read that you were getting married in Scotland. (um amzing by the way!)

I have been to all 3 of the places you listed in Europe. Also look into Interlaken, Switzerland if you like doing adventure type things. I backpacked for 3 weeks 2 different times in Europe and Interlaken was one of my favorite places. We rented a scooter and drove all around through the Alps. Then we went canyoning. (canyoning is zipline, rappeling, clip jumping, sliding down waterfalls.)
  • I agree with PPs- if you're getting married in Scotland, unless you have your heart absolutely set on a beach vacation, it would make more sense to me to stay in Europe. 

The three places you've chosen are quite far away from each other, though- would you go to the all of them?  I have to say that Venice isn't worth more than two days of a visit, IMO.  Paris, probably combined with another place in France, Belgium, or Switzerland, gets my vote of the options above!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Interlaken gets my vote too!  We stopped there during our backpacking trip, and the scenery is so beautiful that words can't even describe it.  It's also the extreme sports capital of Europe so if you guys are into that sort of thing, you'd have a lot of fun in that area.  The highlight for me was our excursion to Jungfraujoch which is an observatory in the Alps.  You can see the longest glacier in Europe up there as well as the "ice palace", etc.  It was so much fun.   Brugges, Belgium is wonderful too and just a short train ride away from Paris.  There are some pictures in my planning bio toward the end.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • THANK you everyone! I think the sensible thing to do is stay in Europe. you all have been a great help!
  • I am going to Paris so I say you go there!

My thinking was that Hawaii is somewhere I can go with children in a few years, but touring through France would prove to be a little more difficult.
  • Europe all the way. I get the vibe that you are a hopeless romantic and i feel like europe just oozes classic romance!
  • I loved Prague when I visited there a few years ago. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. The food was excellent and there was a lot to do. I would agree about doing a few cities. When I went we did Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Poland. It was fairly inexpensive and it was a fantastic trip. Venice and Paris are really nice but my vote would be for Prague.
  • I say definately Europe, especially because you will already be there. Venice is absolutely beautiful and I've also heard Paris is amazing.
  • I have lived in Europe for four years and have traveled all over.

You are getting married in the most naturally beautiful locations I have ever been.

If you honeymoon in Prague, you will hit the city I have found most architecturally beautiful. Though, the city can easily be done in 3-4 days. If you go there, you should definitely spend a few days out in the country. Check out Carlsbad. It is a natural spa town, and the entirety is a UNESCO world heritage sight.

Paris is classic. I have been there four times, so I certainly enjoy it. I would recommend staying in the Marais.

Venice is also lovely. Make sure you spend some time on the islands and outside the crush of St. Marks. You can also take a day trip to Lake Como.
  • First, I'm jealous you're getting married in Scotland.  Congrats!

Second, do yourselves a favor and go to Venice.  It's less expensive to travel within Europe, so why not go while you're there?  It's a short plane ride, and there is no shortage of scenery!  If you two are looking for adventure and history, Venice is the place to go.  I absolutely loved going last summer, and can't wait to go back.  It doesn't smell as bad as some parts of Florence did, so don't let people tell you that's why you shouldn't go.  St. Mark's is COVERED in GOLD mosaics on the inside, and is an absolutely breathtaking monument.  Even if you're not religious you can still definitely appreciate the beauty.  Murano is not far off of Venice, and you can do some great shopping there as well as see the sights.  The seafood in Venice is sublime, and it's awesome to see the dstereotypical Gondolieres in their striped shirts and bandanas with their gondolas - it makes it seem like a surreal fairy tale.  Oh, and did I mention the masks?  In general, Venice is an amazing place.  You won't regret it.  You can always go to Hawaii, so why not honeymoon in Venice?
  • and to agree with maratea, if you don't want to stay in Venice for that long (there are ways to find inexpensive things there - my group was on a tight budget and the four of us did just fine), go to Siena.  If you think I loved Venice based on my previous post, I love Siena even more.  It's a completely gothic city within close proximity to both Florence and Rome, and it's really just so cool.  You won't be disappointed.  It's not hugely touristy, and it's a little quiet - both things I valued in my visits there.
  • Depending on the time of year you go, if you are interested in some sun and beaches, you could always consider someplace in the Mediterranean like Sardina or Malta or the Dalmatian Coast or Greek Isles. Also, if you do go to Prauge consider Budapest as well, as a plus for both, neither one of those countries are on the euro, so will be (relatively) cheaper than most euro area countries.
  • Prague is amazing. I'm going there again in April... so old and romantic. Think about the  jet lag too when considering Hawaii... not fun. Plus, if you're already in Scotland, why not stick around Europe?! Flights are so cheap on budget airlines like aer lingus, smartwings, easy jet and ryanair. You can hop from place to place for under approx $50 US!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards