Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Mason Jars Instead Of Glass Cups?

We are having a vintage carnival theme, our colors are turquoise/aqua and red. If it helps our venue is at an art museum with the main color being white in the venue. Now we were thinking of using mason jars with white and red stripped straws like the ones below, instead of your traditional glass water cup. But not sure if it would come off as "cheesy tacky" instead of "vintage cute". Would really like to hear your opinions? :)

Re: Mason Jars Instead Of Glass Cups?

• Options

We are having a vintage carnival theme, our colors are turquoise/aqua and red. If it helps our venue is at an art museum with the main color being white in the venue. Now we were thinking of using mason jars with white and red stripped straws like the ones below, instead of your traditional glass water cup. But not sure if it would come off as "cheesy tacky" instead of "vintage cute". Would really like to hear your opinions? :)

I'm over mason jars to be honest. I feel like I almost expect them at weddings I go to now - it's kind of sad. I love the straws for a pop of color, but can you find something else other than mason jars? What about these:

*********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'm not a fan, and I don't enjoy drinking out of them.

• Options
    They're too large for my hand...so no.
  • Options
    Yuck, so over mason jars. Pinterest killed this. Plus they are heavy and hard to drink from.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Cheesy tacky.  And are the guests supposed to use the same glass all night, or would you buy hundreds of Mason jars?

Just say no.  Regular cups are fine.  Plastic is better than Mason jars.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just wanted to add - I like the straws.  I think that's a cute detail.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like the straws but not the mason jars as drinking glasses.  It is a fad, IMO, and overly used.  I blame Pinterest.
  • Options
    kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    Mason jars are surprisingly expensive. Unless you have a ton left over from canning, you don't really save much. Also, ever lug a few cases of those bad boys around? No thank you.
    I have a few jelly sized ones lying around my kitchen that people occasionally use as drinking glasses and big ones that get swiped once in awhile for mixed drinks, but as a rule, I don't think canning jars are the best to drink from--heavy, awkward to hold, easy to smack your teeth, and overdone as a fake "vintage" or "rustic" trend.
  • Options
    I think mason jars work better as a "rustic" or "country", not something I'd automatically put with carnival, esp. if it's in an art museum. I'd say do plain glasses, and use the straws. Get an aqua straw and red straws, that will add more pop and tie in your colors better.

FI and I went to a wedding last year that had mason jars with chalkboard labels as the placecard/water glass, it was cute, but I agree they are terribly overdone (I even had this talk with my wedding coordinator, cute but everyone does them) If you absolutely love love love mason jars and must have them, get the ones with handles.

Anniversary
  • Options
    My cousin had them, and apparently we're really behind here in OK, because people couldn't stop raving about how cute it was.  Yes, people were expected to use the same one all night, and she included tags on string so you could mark your glass.  She didn't have an open bar, though, and it was a fairly casual event.  Beverages were lemonade, tea, water, keg beer, and champagne, serve yourself everything other than the beer (which our other cousin manned).
  • Options

My cousin had them, and apparently we're really behind here in OK, because people couldn't stop raving about how cute it was.  Yes, people were expected to use the same one all night, and she included tags on string so you could mark your glass.  She didn't have an open bar, though, and it was a fairly casual event.  Beverages were lemonade, tea, water, keg beer, and champagne, serve yourself everything other than the beer (which our other cousin manned).

So if I want a lemonade with dinner and a beer after that, and champagne with dessert...I have to go wash out my mason jar in the bathroom or something?

No...just no.
  • Options
    I got the paper straws for my wedding SOOOO cute...BUT no one used them. I have hundreds left. Unless you are serving non-alcoholic beverages they won't get used a lot.If you use them in the water glasses they will get used a little more. But people don't drink a ton of water with dinner if beer and wine are available. 
    I think you could time in the carnival theme in other cheaper ways than the mason jars. Rent a popcorn and cotton candy machine instead! Yum! Snow cones would be awesome too, but messy. Cute theme! GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Are they paper straws? Try using some before committing to buying a bunch of them. I tried using one at my friends rehearsal dinner. It was a really cute but horrible as an actual straw. I gave up on it pretty quickly. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards