Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Gratuity for all-inclusive venue

Hi ladies,

I've seen some recommendations for gratuity for caterers, usually 15-20% of your total bill to be distributed amongst the wait staff. I'm getting married at an all-inclusive venue where there is a simple event minimum we had to hit ($20K), gratuity is not included in any of the charges.

Is tipping expected at this sort of place, and if so, any idea on how much to give? Food & Beverage totals just over $18K, so 15% tip would be $2700 which seems extremely high to me, given how much we're already paying this venue.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Re: Gratuity for all-inclusive venue

• Options
    If gratuity or a sevice charge is not included in the price, then yes...a tip is proper.
  • Options
    octnites said:
    Hi ladies,

I've seen some recommendations for gratuity for caterers, usually 15-20% of your total bill to be distributed amongst the wait staff. I'm getting married at an all-inclusive venue where there is a simple event minimum we had to hit ($20K), gratuity is not included in any of the charges.

Is tipping expected at this sort of place, and if so, any idea on how much to give? Food & Beverage totals just over $18K, so 15% tip would be $2700 which seems extremely high to me, given how much we're already paying this venue.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks!
    If a gratuity isn't included in your total.  I would call the venue to make sure that gratuity isn't already worked into your total.  If it is not, yes that tip amount is appropriate, however for something like a big wedding - I think a 20% gratuity is more appropriate as more before/after work is probably performed for a wedding.  It will be distributed to all employees of your event.
  • Options
    I am paying at 20% service fee to our venue. This added about $3200 to our costs, so what you are saying seems about right to me. It seems like a lot but it's a lot of money but it gets split up and goes to several people. Plus, I am not sure where you are going but I can be pretty confident that a lot of the staff probably makes most of their living off tips/gratuity since they are in the hospitality industry. 
  • Options
    Ask your contact at the venue how this works. Is it a non-tipping club or resort? How are the server paid by the venue? Do they have service fee of some type that actually pays them? How many will there be? How many bartenders? How does it break down food vs alcohol? It seems high to me too, but if you have 8 severs and 2 bartenders it suddenly doesn't seem that high if they are making minim wage or server's wage from your venue. Have a frank, blunt conversation with the venue and they you can make an informed decision. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    We got married at an AI, and our wedding coordinator let us know that there were no fees above the fixed rate, which they considered to include gratuity (as they do with all of the other meals served while staying at the resort).   If we had added it onto our resort fee, it would have gone directly to the Miami-based HQ, not any of the folks who worked the event in Mexico.  So we brought a lot of cash and gave very large tips to each server, bartender, musician, and our coordinator. 
  • Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2013
    Yup that sounds right. We are spending approximately that much, depending on how many people come, on food and drink and that is what our gratuity is.  Ours is added on by the venue though, so we have no choice, but that's what you should at least tip. I mean your already spending almost 20K whats a few more? If you thought it was too much you should have found a different venue. 
    If you have to hit 20K, but your food and beverage is at 18, where is the extra 2k going? 

ETA: my computer stinks!

• Options
    Nov182015Nov182015 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2013
    Most of the places that I've gotten quotes from are 18% and 20%, and it's not a suggestion, it's mandatory, already tacked onto your bill.... I agree with OOmom, make sure you call the venue and make sure it's not already in your contract!

Best of luck!
  • Options
    Nov182015Nov182015 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I did contact my venue who assured me the wait staff weren't paid on tips, but paid through the admin charge they charged us; however, we did tip them $20 each anyway and I'm glad we did because they gave us amazing service. Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Also I don't really appreciate the "you should have booked another venue" comment.... please, there's no need to rude. When you're spending a lot of money, it's perfectly normal to try want to manage it as best you can!
  • Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2013
    octnites said:
    Also I don't really appreciate the "you should have booked another venue" comment.... please, there's no need to rude. When you're spending a lot of money, it's perfectly normal to try want to manage it as best you can!
    I was not being rude. It's an honest comment, and you should have checked before you booked them.  Luckily it's not a problem for you because it's included in the admin charge. Like I said, I'm spending the same amount you are, and it's added on.  I was just saying I would never pay a 20% service charge that wasn't gratuity for the staff. Then you'd have to spend another 20% or so on top of that, which I find ridiculous.  I made sure to ask that question before I picked my venue; that's being smart.

• Options
    What's the point of you saying "you should have done this" when I'm obviously well past that point and can't change anything? Anyway, Congratulations that you're so smart. Too bad that you're a bit rude.
  • Options
    I understand it was past your ability to do anything about it, but what were you going to do if gratuity wasn't included, not tip?  You asked a question, you got some helpful answers, just because you didn't like my comment didn't mean it was rude. It might help someone else who isn't as far along in the process.  They should think or ask about all the charges at the beginning before signing any venue contract.   I'm glad everything worked out for you; good luck in your marriage.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards