Chit Chat
Options

Caricaturist - A major hit

A few months ago somewhere there was a thread where someone asked what we thought about caricaturists. Several people said fun, a few said kids birthday party or carnival... I said that I went to an elegant wedding that had one and it was really fun and in no way kids birthday/carnival.

When our entertainment cancelled last minute for our wedding, we managed to find a caricaturist willing to come. Best.Decision.Ever. While I was originally bummed at the loss of what I had been planning, the caricaturist ended up making our wedding way more fun!!! We had people of all ages from 3 to 87 excited to get their drawing and people were walking around sharing them with each other.

She arrived after the meal and dances and cake cutting, 3 hours before the wedding's end.  $110/hour. She said she averages 16-18/hour. in black and white and she was dead on. We hired her for 2 hours with the option of adding time if there were still people who wanted to get theirs done. She ended up staying for all 3 hours. We had 60 guests, 50 left before she arrived and he did the portrait of everyone remain who wanted one. We think about 45 people at minimum.

People stayed until the very end of the wedding, it gave a lot of laughs and excitement and a lot of reasons for people to converse.

The only suggestion i have is for people to have a signup sheet so they don't have to wait in line. That was my original suggestion because it worked with my friend's wedding just fine. The artist said normally people just wait in line and are amused by watching the drawing. Well that was true, except that it caused people to stay in line instead of feeling free to dance when they wanted to for fear of losing their place in line. People started saving each other's spots but....still...if I had it to do over, I would've just been more adamant about a signup sheet. People could till gather if they wanted to.

All in all, Im so glad my original entertainment cancelled!
imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: Caricaturist - A major hit

• Options
    Sounds like a blast! Where are you out of? 
  • Options
    We booked one for our wedding!!!

I used this site to find one then did my own searching for reviews before booking : http://www.aboutfacesentertainment.com/

We are SO excited for this!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I live in NH.

I will say that the sites that you search for referrals are good to find someone, but I suggest trying to find their real contact information via google, rather than booking from those sites. I did this and saved about $30-40 an hour because that's the commission she would have had to pay for the referral.

She said that the benefit to booking through one of those sights is protection if the artist doesn't show and assistance finding a replacement. However, I was very comfortable with the quality of reviews left for her and I didn't pay her until the day of anyway so there was no deposit to lose.

Mallory you're in for a treat!
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So jealous! I wanted one but FI said no and he pretty much let me have everything else I wanted so we did the Photo Booth instead - more his speed.
    I knew it would be fan-freaking-tastic! So glad you enjoyed it!! And soooo jealous ;)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Mind sharing who you used?

• Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013

We are having one too. I am so glad that we are not alone. Ours uses an ipad and prints out the picture for the guests. The best part is he will also print out a second copy for the guest to sign and we will be putting in an album. I am hoping if we use it as a guestbook, it will encourage my guests to use him.

ETA- Muppet, did you post pictures of your wedding or a recap of your wedding?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    doh...double post somehow a day later :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    OMG this sounds like something I'd want since we are doing a "Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler" theme being that our wedding is the weekend before Mardi Gras and we are in South Louisiana. There's tons of caricature artists in NOLA and the French Quarter, especially during the Mardi Gras season. Hmmmm... I'll look into this!
  • Options
    Moemac I haven't but I will when I get a minute
    imageimageimage

• Options
    This may be a dumb question, but did she do only single drawings or could a couple go up together and get one done?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @redjacks25 Sorry, I didn't see your question.     She did singles and couples.
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards