Wedding Party

How could I ask friends to be my bridesmaids?

What are some cute ideas for asking my sisters and girlfriends to be my Bridesmaids? Nothing super fancy or expensive, this is going to be a Texas DIY wedding on a budget! I have 4 sisters to ask & 3-5 girlfriends to ask. All but two of them live out of state.

Re: How could I ask friends to be my bridesmaids?

• RedJacks25RedJacks25 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2013
    When it comes time to ask my girls, the ones who are local I'm just going to take them out to dinner separately and ask them. The one who's out of state I'm going to hopefully be able to have a long catch-up chat with her on the phone, and ask her then. Nothing glamorous, but hopefully meaningful.

Edited for clarification.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In my excitement of engagement, I just kinda blurted it out to them randomly.... I think I even texted one of them, lol. Looking back on it, I wish I had done something nicer or more creative.
  • I LOVE giving gifts and doing stuff over the top.  I did not talk to any of my friends before to let them know I wanted them to be my bridesmaids because I wanted it to be a complete surprise.  My sister and maid of honor was the only one who knew that something was up.  She works at an Italian restaurant and rented out a small party room for us.  I had asked each of my bridesmaids to meet me for dinner there, each one not knowing that other people would be there.  I had found these adorable tote bags for $1 each, and I filled them up with little stuff and had there initials monogrammed on the bags.  Inside I had a pen and small agenda with all of the important dates marked and phone numbers of everyone in there, paper weight engagement rings with a note that said "Now it's my turn to ask...will you be my bridesmaid?", cookies in the shape of dresses, and a picture frame with a picture of me with the bridesmaid.  They absolutely LOVED them! It did take some time because I found everything on sale so that it wouldn't be expensive.  Each bag cost about $7 each, and I have 6 bridesmaids! It really got all of them super excited for the wedding and they are still talking about it, 6 months later!

• Having been asked, it's nice to just be called up. Local? Coffee goes over really well.
  • I've been in a lot of weddings. My favorite way I've ever been asked was face to face on a friend-date. Just the bride and I. I've seen/heard of people doing the ring pop, or other Pinterest inspired cutesy stuff, but I personally don't like it. If a bride asked me in that way, I'd feel super obligated and awkward, especially if I had to/wanted to say no for some reason.

I would encourage you to ask each person privately and face to face if possible. Or over the phone if not possible. It might seem "lame" or whatever but it's a lot more special than getting a ring pop.
    *********************************************************************************

• Thank you everyone for your input! Love the dinner/coffee ideas and the personalized bags idea!

I have kind of hinted to a few of them that they would be so they already have an idea. and Im not worried about anyone saying no just because of the relationship I have with each of them. Was thinking of doing something crafty, maybe like a picture postcard with an RSVP on the back? just something crafty and cute!

• Just ask them.  You're asking them to take on a major expense and perform an important service for you-and depending on when and where your wedding is and whatever might be going on in their lives, they may have to say no.  So don't be "crafty" or "cute" about asking them.  Save the "crafts" and "cuteness" for after they have accepted-if they have.  That's when they'll appreciate it.
  • just ask--call them up personally or send a nice card or yes do a friend date if you live close enough, but don't waste money of trinkets and gifts for people they may never use.  No one wants stuff that says bridesmaid and whatnot on it, so you would be wasting your money IMO (I dunno you know your friends so your call).  I made cute personalized cards on etsy and wrote each person a nice note (only one lived near me so I gave hers face to face; I sent the others).  It was cute, to the point and if they threw it away I was out $10 total.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards