Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Bouquet toss with no single women at the wedding?

It has occurred to me that there will be no single women at our wedding.  All my friends are now married or engaged and so it all the family.  I already knew we wouldn't be doing a garter toss, but should I even bother with a making a toss bouquet?  Who would I toss it to?
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Bouquet toss with no single women at the wedding?

• Probably don't do it then?  One appropriate alternative might be a married couple dance where you give your "toss" bouquet to the couple who has been married the longest.  I've also seen people count engaged but not married women as "single" for the toss, but I always thought that was kind of weird.  But I guess if you really wanted to do the toss? 
  • I'm in the sme situation as you.  I have one single cousin who will be there, and the other single ladies are already engaged.   I'm not sure what I'll do with the bouquet.....

My sister did the "anniversary dance" at her wedding two years ago.  You know, where the DJ asks all married couples to dance, then asks people who have been married less than a day to sit down, then less than one year, etc, to see who has been married the longest.  It was my grandparents (63 years I think?), so she presented them her bouquet.   If I did this, it would still be the same grandparents....so maybe I'll just present the boquet to my mom?  Haven't decided yet.
    DSC_9275
  • We didn't bother with any tosses.  There were only a handful of singles at our wedding and we didn't want to call them out.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Skip it  - nobody will miss it, I promise. 
  • We'll have a fair number of singles at our wedding but we're not doing either toss anyway. No one will miss them!
    Lizzie
  • edited January 2012
    I am gifting my flowers to my birthmom to honour her in my wedding since shes an important part of my family and history but most people wont know who she is since she lives far away and isnt involved in my life on a regular basis.

You could gift your flowers to someone whos important to you, your parents or maybe your future in-laws, you could do an annaversy dance as mentioned, you could do nothing with your flowers, you could pass them on to the next engaged lady to be getting married, theres many options other then a toss if you dont have a lot of single friends there.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• We aren't doing it regardless of how many single people. I think its tacky and can get totally out of hand.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks for all the ideas and input.  I like the idea of gifting them, but I think I'll wait and see how I'm doing on flowers when I finish making my bouquet and all the decorations.   Thanks again! :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My bouquet is making it's way into the centerpiece of our sweetheart table...I honestly don't think any of our two single friends want to be singled out...
     LOL on second thought...
    Vacation White Knot
  • I would even suggest a toss if there are even a small number of single people at your wedding. I went to a wedding in Oct that myself, a bridesmaid, and 12 year old were the ONLY single women at the wedding. I made sure to be in the bathroom during the toss. I'll pass on being singled out like that.
  • For another perspective, my sisters are the only single women invited to my wedding, and they wanted a bouquet toss.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_bouquet-toss-single-women-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4bfba922-4145-4927-bc28-6544a157ef11Post:e6a15e8b-5dda-4ba7-96dd-93bd0e97abd3">Re: Bouquet toss with no single women at the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Probably don't do it then?  One appropriate alternative might be a married couple dance where you give your "toss" bouquet to the couple who has been married the longest. <strong> I've also seen people count engaged but not married women as "single" for the toss,</strong> but I always thought that was kind of weird.  But I guess if you really wanted to do the toss? 
    Posted by calliopeia2013[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah I've totally seen engaged people do the tosses, as well as people who were dating. One time at a friend's wedding, the guy who caught the garter put it on the girl who caught the bouquet. His girlfriend was pissed. We're doing the tosses, but not that aspect. </div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • I have heard of people throwing it for the bridesmaids and stuffing a Gc or cash in it for whoever catches it
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • If you really want to do the bouquet toss, invite all the ladies onto the dance floor and offer a gift card to the person who catches the bouquet.  FI and I just went to a wedding where the bride and groom did this for the bouquet (Target) and garter (Best Buy) tosses.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I didn't want to single out the few single women at our wedding so we called ALL women to the dance floor and the toss bouquet had a bunch of lottery tickets incorporated into it. We didn't do a garter toss.
  • Skip it! Seriously... who really likes the bouquet toss?  Even when I was single I refused to participate.  It's a silly , demeaning tradition that will hopefully go the way of the cake smuoosh into your new spouses face thing. 
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_bouquet-toss-single-women-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4bfba922-4145-4927-bc28-6544a157ef11Post:e6a15e8b-5dda-4ba7-96dd-93bd0e97abd3">Re: Bouquet toss with no single women at the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Probably don't do it then?  O<strong>ne appropriate alternative might be a married couple dance where you give your "toss" bouquet to the couple who has been married the longest.</strong>  I've also seen people count engaged but not married women as "single" for the toss, but I always thought that was kind of weird.  But I guess if you really wanted to do the toss? 
    Posted by calliopeia2013[/QUOTE]

Love this idea!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have the same issue -- three single women, one is my mom. We're skipping it and the garter. Fill that very short day with things most important to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards