May 2014 Weddings

hello, just hit our first snag...

Hello! Hate to have my first post be a debate, but my fi and I cannot agree on a bridal party. I had chosen my three best friends, my sister, cousin, and our dd as flower girl. He wants me to include his sisters, niece, and his best man's wife. That puts us at about 17 counting us, our guest list is about 130, and our location is our local drive in theater, where we met. He said that's huge, and Idk what to do, because he's asked his brothers to be groomsmen so leaving his sisters out would be rude, but I don't want to cut my girls either. Any advice?

Re: hello, just hit our first snag...

• I think that the bridal party should be who you are closest to. If you aren't close to his family and his best man's wife (wtf?) then don't have them in your bridal party. Keep in mind, that the smaller your bridal party is, the less potential drama you have to deal with AND the less bridal party gifts you have to buy.  My sisters are in my bridal party, but my fiance's sister is not and he is okay with that.
    Anniversary

• Keep in mind, that the smaller your bridal party is, the less potential drama you have to deal with AND the less bridal party gifts you have to buy.  
    This. Also, you don't have to include both halves of a couple if you don't want. You should have those closest to you on your side, and vice-versa. He shouldn't be pushing you to include his sisters just because he wants them to be part of the wedding. He could always have them stand on his side. If that doesn't work, maybe ask them to do a reading.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel ya girl! my bridal party is HUGE... 10 on each side plus us... but my family is really big and I am close with all of my sisters (4) plus FI has 3 sisters, who I did include just because I thought it would be a nice way to bond with them before entering the family...I just took them shopping for their bridesmaid dresses last weekend actually and it was an awesome time...we had a girls day and did lunch/nails afterwards. I don't know your situation but FI and I got engaged pretty quickly after meeting and I didn't get much of a chance to socialize with his family besides the holidays and that is really important to me. So just our sisters combined is 7! plus I have 3 of my best friends....we have not hit any crazy drama yet (knock on wood!) But ultimately it is your day so pick the people that make you happy! everyone else will get over it...  also I wouldn't include the best man's wife... that's a weird request unless you guys are like super close couple friends and do everything together.. idk.... good luck! :)

• There are other things you can ask his sisters/niece/best man's wife to do (like a reading).  Don't let anyone tell you who to ask to be in your bridal party - you're the bride :)  
  • My FI's middle brother got married 2 years ago (there are 4 brothers total), and he only chose one of his four brothers to be a groomsman, and his best friends made up the rest. The other two brothers were the emcees for the evening. When my best friend got married, her bridal party didn't include her husband's sisters. The point is that there are no rules when it comes to bridal parties -- it's all about what makes sense to you and what you're comfortable with. If your FI wants these people to have a special role in your day, there are other ways to do it (readings, ushers, emcees...). But you should never feel obligated to do anything you're not comfortable with.

• the best mans wife????thats weird.especially if you dont know her well or are close to her.have a heart to heart with him and explain your feelings.let him know you ar not picking his groomsmen and the bridesmaids are your choice.i would hope hell understand
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards