Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Shower Gifts ? re: need to bring shipped gifts to shower?

All,

My in-law's are throwing us a couples shower in about 2 weeks.  There have been a few guests who have said they are coming but will be late, or may not be able to make it but will try.  Some of these guests have sent us gifts to our home.  We live in a different city than the shower location (6 hours away).  Do we need to bring the gifts that were shipped to us from the guests that may be there late or may not be able to make it to open at the shower?  In other words, should the gift be at the shower even though it was sent to us at home?  Any advice would be very helpful.  Thank you!! 

Bride-to-be

Re: Shower Gifts ? re: need to bring shipped gifts to shower?

• Options
    I wouldn't bring them to the shower. I think it's unnecessary. I would just make sure you remember to include them on the list of who bought you what so that you don't forget to write them a thank you note!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would make a little announcement when they are there (if they make it) of "Oh, and it's at home already, but Aunt Sue purchased us two ofour china settings! Thanks Aunt Sue!" And of course, send the handwritten, personalized, thank you note afterwards.
  • Options
    When my SIL had a shower in the same town I shipped her gift to her house because she announced she wouldn't be opening gifts at the shower, but rather, invited certain people back to the house to watch her open the gifts. So I figured why bother taking it to the shower so it could be loaded in a van and carted off to be opened elsewhere!
  • Options
    Can you bring photos of the gifts with you to the shower and circulate them while you're there?
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Can you bring photos of the gifts with you to the shower and circulate them while you're there?
    I think this would seem gift grabby. I would just thank them for the excellent gift in person (and send TY cards as soon as you get them)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    I think this would seem gift grabby. I would just thank them for the excellent gift in person (and send TY cards as soon as you get them)
    How would it seem gift grabby at a shower, which is by definition a party where one receives gifts?  These would be gifts from people who were invited to attend the shower to begin with.
  • Options
    This is exactly why I send shower gifts to the shower hostess instead of the bride.  It's awkward and inconvenient for the bride to bring them.  I think it's fine for you to leave them at home and just send a prompt thank you note.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards