Chit Chat

*Name Change!!*

JMalettasJMalettas member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited October 2013 in Chit Chat
 So after like 3 hours, & a *bunch* of driving around, I am now *legally* under my married name! Super exciting, and a *huge* relief! (We'd booked a trip in my maiden name, to find out that the country we're going to, only accepts passports that are valid more than 6 months from the departure date). I had booked in my maiden name, & if nothing had come in by the end of Dec, I'd have had to get a new passport in my maiden name, then would have had to re-apply after our trip! (Boo)! Anyways, our marriage license came in yesterday, & I managed to get *all* of my ID switched into my married name by today! Super excited to be Mrs. J, ******!!!! ;);) Ya ya!

Happy news of the week!! ;)

*J

Re: *Name Change!!*

• Awesome!!! I can't wait for that day!!!!
  • Hooray!!! I look forward to that day too. Even though I tease my fiance about my new name being twice as long and harder to spell and pronounce.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am sufficiently jealous.

I spent three hours yesterday waiting at various government offices -- Social Security, DMV -- in an effort to change my name.

At SSA, I was like, "I need to change my name, because I got married." The nice man behind the counter asked me what I wanted my name to be, and I said, "HisGirl Maiden HisLast," because I dropped my middle name and kept my maiden name as my middle name. He said no problem, printed off my documents, and bam, done.

I went to PennDOT (I hate PennDOT), where the very bored and not at all helpful jerkface behind the counter said I couldn't drop my middle for my maiden without: a valid passport, social security card, voter ID card, bank statement, tax document, quart of human blood, and my first-born child.

So that will be next week's fun project. I've updated my social security card, and I'll be able to get a statement from my bank with my married name on it, and then I can update my voter ID card, and that SHOULD BE good enough for PennDOT. Mother-effers.

Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I did that yesterday too! SS office for 3 1/2 hours! I have to wait until I get my new card though before I can change my DL. It's going to feel great when everything is taken care of!
  • When I went to social security, the smoking thing in front of the building was on fire and a group of people were standing around watching it emotionlessly. I said 'well, that's something' and one of them, a toothless redneck man, informed me that 'it's on fire'.

Then someone brought a sleeping bag in and laid down behind a row of chairs.

Then an old rasta man wearing a Mountain Dew NASCAR jacket over a dashiki walked in and sat in front of me.

Social security was interesting.

• I am sufficiently jealous.

I spent three hours yesterday waiting at various government offices -- Social Security, DMV -- in an effort to change my name.

At SSA, I was like, "I need to change my name, because I got married." The nice man behind the counter asked me what I wanted my name to be, and I said, "HisGirl Maiden HisLast," because I dropped my middle name and kept my maiden name as my middle name. He said no problem, printed off my documents, and bam, done.

I went to PennDOT (I hate PennDOT), where the very bored and not at all helpful jerkface behind the counter said I couldn't drop my middle for my maiden without: a valid passport, social security card, voter ID card, bank statement, tax document, quart of human blood, and my first-born child.

So that will be next week's fun project. I've updated my social security card, and I'll be able to get a statement from my bank with my married name on it, and then I can update my voter ID card, and that SHOULD BE good enough for PennDOT. Mother-effers.

Did the social security office give you a paper that shows they have made the change? That is how I got mine changed...I've changed my name 4 times (Dont ask LOL) and never had a problem. 
  •  It definitely sounds like it's a lot harder to change your name, where ever you all are, than it is here! Once I had the marriage certificate, I just brought that around with ID, and they quickly changed it wherever I went. I think in total, it took around 3 hours to change absolutely everything. (Which was mostly because I had to drive place to place). I think the most difficult thing to change was my name on my credit card account. They wanted 2 pieces of ID in my maiden name, & then 2 pieces in my new name, plus a fax of the marriage certificate. 

Regardless of the work to do it though, it's super exciting to see your new last name, officially on paper! :)

Congrats to you all too!

*J
  • I mailed my change of name application into SSA with the marriage license, got license back then the card a few days later.  Took myself off to the DMV, tag agency, bank, library, etc. on my next day off.  The next day at work I handled all the hr stuff.  It was nice to get all that fixed up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards