Snarky Brides

The same thank you cards?

Is it rude to send out generalized thank you cards with the same message in each, instead of personalizing each one?

It was a very sweet message on the inside, I'm just wondering if this is socially acceptable. We are also going to include a professional picture of us.

Re: The same thank you cards?

• You should personalize each one. After all, they took time to personalize a gift for you - even if they bought it off the registry, they bought it because they thought/knew you'd like it. It's only right to take 2-3 minutes to acknowledge that.
  • Thank you for the reply :) Also, we had a couple of guests that left the reception very early on. These guests also didn't give a gift and left nothing in their cards. We are perfectly not bothered by it, we are just wondering what we would say in the thank you card? Would you even send one?
  • I would only send thank-you cards to people who gave you gifts and/or cash. Otherwise it can come across as passive-aggressive.
  • I would only send thank-you cards to people who gave you gifts and/or cash. Otherwise it can come across as passive-aggressive.

This. Gift=thank you note. Personalized and handwritten

The reception was the "thank you" for coming.
  • Is it rude to send out generalized thank you cards with the same message in each, instead of personalizing each one?

It was a very sweet message on the inside, I'm just wondering if this is socially acceptable. We are also going to include a professional picture of us.

My Little sis (Sorority) did something like this. It was a postcard type thing and was a beautiful general thank you card that had a picture of her and her new hubby which is now displayed on my fridge. BUT she also included a hand written card as well thanking me for the glasses I got her.  So to be technical she sent 2 thank you notes in the same envelope.

The Handwritten one means the most to me but I like having her wedding picture on my fridge.

• Unpersonalized thank you cards are beyond lazy. Don't be that couple.
    Also this. They took the time to give you a gift, you take the time to hand-write a real thank-you note.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Our photo card has a general "thank you for being part of our special day" on the front and then we are handwriting a personal message to each guest/couple on the back. I think it means more when it's personalized to each person. Though time-consuming I think people will definitely like that more than a generic message!
  • Is it rude to send out generalized thank you cards with the same message in each, instead of personalizing each one?

Yes it's rude, no it's not socially acceptable.

Thank you notes that aren't personalized show no gratitude whatsoever.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Unpersonalized thank you cards are beyond lazy. Don't be that couple.
    Ditto. And a personal story about that. I went to a christening party for one of my best friend's kids. This girl and I have been best friends since Kindergarten (28 years). I picked out a very nice gift and had it engraved. I got back a picture with a printed message. No hand written note. No mention of my gift. Just a general "Thanks for coming!". I was really put off by that, as was my mother who also sent a very nice gift.
  • Every.single.wedding I have attended in the last 2 years that I got a thank you card from, there was only a generic type message inside, or nothing at all. It pisses me off every time. I would almost rather not receive a card then just get the same one that gets sent to everyone.

I get junk mail all the time; I would consider something that wasn't personally directed towards me junk, as well. Hell, our apartment complex frequently sends us a generic "thank you" postcard, thanking us for being residents. I expect more from my friends and family.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am glad you asked for advice (and will hopefully take it) before doing something like that. Sadly, not everyone runs their bad decisions past fellow knotties first.
  • mbrooke2008mbrooke2008 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2013

Every.single.wedding I have attended in the last 2 years that I got a thank you card from, there was only a generic type message inside, or nothing at all. It pisses me off every time. I would almost rather not receive a card then just get the same one that gets sent to everyone.

I get junk mail all the time; I would consider something that wasn't personally directed towards me junk, as well. Hell, our apartment complex frequently sends us a generic "thank you" postcard, thanking us for being residents. I expect more from my friends and family.
    Not sure if I am understanding what a generic type message is. Does that mean it was typed into the actual stationery/card? Or that it was hand written and just seemed generic? I don't have a problem with template based, hand written thank yous that call out your name, the gift given, etc.
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n

• Every.single.wedding I have attended in the last 2 years that I got a thank you card from, there was only a generic type message inside, or nothing at all. It pisses me off every time. I would almost rather not receive a card then just get the same one that gets sent to everyone.

Not sure if I am understanding what a generic type message is. Does that mean it was typed into the actual stationery/card? Or that it was hand written and just seemed generic? I don't have a problem with template based, hand written thank yous that call out your name, the gift given, etc.
    Pretty much. The cards that say something like "Thank you for sharing in our special day!" or "Thanks for the gift!"

Though I can count on one hand the number I've received, I really think that a completely personalized, handwritten note on every individual card is the only proper way to do it.

Never heard of it, but using a template where you just fill in the name and gift sounds only marginally less lazy and marginally more demonstrative of appreciation than fully pre-printed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And I thought I was lazy for hand writing a similar opening line on each of my thank you notes! How does one just sign their name (if even) and call it a day???
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• wajohnson09wajohnson09 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    mimiphin said:

Is it rude to send out generalized thank you cards with the same message in each, instead of personalizing each one?

My Little sis (Sorority) did something like this. It was a postcard type thing and was a beautiful general thank you card that had a picture of her and her new hubby which is now displayed on my fridge. BUT she also included a hand written card as well thanking me for the glasses I got her.  So to be technical she sent 2 thank you notes in the same envelope.

The Handwritten one means the most to me but I like having her wedding picture on my fridge.

-----------------------------------------------------

My cousin did the same thing- note and a pic. I really like getting wedding picture from the couple, but it's so nice when someone takes the time to write an actual thank you note. It doesn't have to be much, I know your writing 200 of these but I appreciate the effort.

Everyone else complaining about generic thank you's- at least you got an acknowledgement. My childhood friend (since we were babies, 26 years !!!) got married three years ago. I sent gift for bridal shower, attended wedding and gave gift, and after she had baby sent gifts for not one but two baby showers. Have not received a thank you note for any of it! Not impressed.

ETA: rant continued.... I am however on friend's Christmas letter list. Yep, take the time to send me your annual brag letter but don't stamp and address a crappy card for all the stuff I've given you.

Ok, Sorry about the rant, I'm done folks
  • bunni727 said:

Every.single.wedding I have attended in the last 2 years that I got a thank you card from, there was only a generic type message inside, or nothing at all. It pisses me off every time. I would almost rather not receive a card then just get the same one that gets sent to everyone.

Pretty much. The cards that say something like "Thank you for sharing in our special day!" or "Thanks for the gift!"

Though I can count on one hand the number I've received, I really think that a completely personalized, handwritten note on every individual card is the only proper way to do it.

Never heard of it, but using a template where you just fill in the name and gift sounds only marginally less lazy and marginally more demonstrative of appreciation than fully pre-printed.
    I don't know I am too concerned about complete personalization. I have never received a thank you that wasn't 100% hand written, while they weren't extremely personalized (mentioned my husband and I, and mentioned the gift we gave them) it was fine by me. I think someone taking the time to hand write me that thank you, even though it may be template based, is good enough for me.

----------------------------------------------------- My cousin did the same thing- note and a pic. I really like getting wedding picture from the couple, but it's so nice when someone takes the time to write an actual thank you note. It doesn't have to be much, I know your writing 200 of these but I appreciate the effort. Everyone else complaining about generic thank you's- at least you got an acknowledgement. My childhood friend (since we were babies, 26 years !!!) got married three years ago. I sent gift for bridal shower, attended wedding and gave gift, and after she had baby sent gifts for not one but two baby showers. Have not received a thank you note for any of it! Not impressed. ETA: rant continued.... I am however on friend's Christmas letter list. Yep, take the time to send me your annual brag letter but don't stamp and address a crappy card for all the stuff I've given you. Ok, Sorry about the rant, I'm done folks
    THAT is one of my biggest pet peeves - the Christmas card that turns into a novel of accomplishments and brags! Ugh, I receive a few that I just can't help but laugh at.

----------------------------------------------------- My cousin did the same thing- note and a pic. I really like getting wedding picture from the couple, but it's so nice when someone takes the time to write an actual thank you note. It doesn't have to be much, I know your writing 200 of these but I appreciate the effort. Everyone else complaining about generic thank you's- at least you got an acknowledgement. My childhood friend (since we were babies, 26 years !!!) got married three years ago. I sent gift for bridal shower, attended wedding and gave gift, and after she had baby sent gifts for not one but two baby showers. Have not received a thank you note for any of it! Not impressed. ETA: rant continued.... I am however on friend's Christmas letter list. Yep, take the time to send me your annual brag letter but don't stamp and address a crappy card for all the stuff I've given you. Ok, Sorry about the rant, I'm done folks
    THAT is one of my biggest pet peeves - the Christmas card that turns into a novel of accomplishments and brags! Ugh, I receive a few that I just can't help but laugh at.
    DITTO! I hate the mass produced "look how awesome we are" Xmas letter. 
    Me - I send Xmas postcards from VistaPrint. You can see how awesome we are instead of us telling you all about in a letter you don't/won't want to read! (and it's cheaper postage) ;-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• RedJacks25RedJacks25 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2013

And I thought I was lazy for hand writing a similar opening line on each of my thank you notes! How does one just sign their name (if even) and call it a day???
    We got one recently that had a picture of the wedding cake on the front with a "Thanks!" underneath it. When you turned it over, the space on the postcard where you're supposed to write, was blank. WTF.

ETA: We apparently just know some very lazy, ungrateful people. FI and I have vowed to be as personalized as humanly possible when writing our thanks yous. Luckily it pisses him off as much as it does me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Christmas letters are the worst! I used to get one where the girl broke down each month. 
    January: We went bowling!

Um. No one cares. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards