Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Response Card Wording

We are having an adults only reception (minus nieces & nephews in wedding) - however will not put that on anything of course (invites, websites, response cards, etc).

We plan on using the: 'You have ___ seats reserved in your honor.' on the response card as I've heard this is ok etiquette wise. My only questions in regards to this, is how to I actually word the response card to put this in?

Example below:

We have reserved 2 seats in your honor.
M___________________________
____ Accept with pleasure
____ Decline with regret
Please respond by February 1, 2014

If you have a better / more fun way of wording that - all suggestions are welcome.

Second question:  I assume if the two seats reserved are for 'single person and guest' that if only one name is put on the response card, then you now only have to reserve one seat at the wedding correct?

Re: Response Card Wording

• Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2013
    LakeR2014 said:
    We are having an adults only reception (minus nieces & nephews in wedding) - however will not put that on anything of course (invites, websites, response cards, etc).

We plan on using the: 'You have ___ seats reserved in your honor.' on the response card as I've heard this is ok etiquette wise. My only questions in regards to this, is how to I actually word the response card to put this in?

Example below:

We have reserved 2 seats in your honor.
    M___________________________
    ____ Accept with pleasure
    ____ Decline with regret
    Please respond by February 1, 2014

If you have a better / more fun way of wording that - all suggestions are welcome.

Second question:  I assume if the two seats reserved are for 'single person and guest' that if only one name is put on the response card, then you now only have to reserve one seat at the wedding correct?

Gah, this is why I don't like this format. What if the person wants to bring someone but doesn't know who yet? If I got this in the mail for me and FI I would put our names in the top line then put 2 accept with pleasure

or

1 accept with pleasure
    1 decline with regret

so it's clear, but honestly, with that wording, you never know what people might do. They might just check mark it.

ETA: Your example is fine, but you might have to call people to double check if they're bringing a guest or not. Others will know better than me as I'm not using this format.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I had a kid-free wedding. I worded my RSVP cards like this:

"We look forward to celebrating with you!
    Name(s)______________________
    ___ # attending
    ___ decline with regret"

If anyone responded with names and/or numbers that didn't match up with who was actually invited, we would follow up. We had almost no issues at all. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

___ # attending
    ___ decline with regret"

If anyone responded with names and/or numbers that didn't match up with who was actually invited, we would follow up. We had almost no issues at all.

I love this!! I knew someone would have better.. You can also include We have ____ seats reserved for you. (BTW- why are you including this? Do you think your guests will RSVP with kids even though they won't be listed on the outside?)
  • Options
    @melbelleup It was recommended by a friend who had a wedding last year.  And although, she had the invite addressed to Mr. & Mrs. John Doe, she got a lot of responses with 4 or 6 guests coming (one even had 10!).   She stated she received an invite to a wedding afterwards that had the "We have ___ seats reserved for you." and wish she had that stated on her invites.
  • Options
    LakeR2014 said:
    @melbelleup It was recommended by a friend who had a wedding last year.  And although, she had the invite addressed to Mr. & Mrs. John Doe, she got a lot of responses with 4 or 6 guests coming (one even had 10!).   She stated she received an invite to a wedding afterwards that had the "We have ___ seats reserved for you." and wish she had that stated on her invites.
    Gotcha. I assumed it was something like that. We're having a sit down dinner so I have 4 lines for people to write their names and select their meals. The biggest amount of guests on my list are 4 people so at least people can only add 2 more people then I'll call ;) (everyone is getting a plus one or SO)
  • Options

We actually printed our response cards with the guests names on them, so there was no confusion.  For guests we invited with a plus one whose name we didn't already know, we left them a space to write it in:

2 seats have been reserved in your honor:

Guest 1. Jane Doe

Guest 2. John Doe

__Accept__Decline

2 seats have been reserved in your honor:

Guest 1. Jane Doe

Guest 2. ___________

__Accept__Decline

• Options
    I'm not having kids at my wedding - I invited people (using the outer envelope, adding "And Guest" when appropriate)

This way, if they brought a guest, I'd have their name and, bonus, if they RSVP'd for extra people, I could say "oh, no, sorry... so and so is not invited" 

M________________________

[ ] Wouldn't miss it for the world.
         __________would like beef
         __________would like chicken
         __________ has a special dietary request: 

[ ] Will celebrate from afar. 

• Options

___ # attending
    ___ decline with regret"

I love this!! I knew someone would have better.. You can also include We have ____ seats reserved for you. (BTW- why are you including this? Do you think your guests will RSVP with kids even though they won't be listed on the outside?)

I like that one!  I was having trouble with this too and I don't have tons of room on my RSVP cards as I also have to include the meal selection options.  I like just using ___# attending as that will simplify add on's. 

Also *thread jack* I have to know the meal choices people want. If put two people on the RSVP card what is the best way to have them respond for both people w/o writting it out? (I don't need to know what Jane has versus John, just a total number of chicken/beef and the table they are at) Thanks!

• Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2013

___ # attending
    ___ decline with regret"

I like that one!  I was having trouble with this too and I don't have tons of room on my RSVP cards as I also have to include the meal selection options.  I like just using ___# attending as that will simplify add on's. 

Also *thread jack* I have to know the meal choices people want. If put two people on the RSVP card what is the best way to have them respond for both people w/o writting it out? (I don't need to know what Jane has versus John, just a total number of chicken/beef and the table they are at) Thanks!

You could do the initial by which choice you would like, but it won't work if john and jane are married....

I'm doing mine this way:

Please Respond by May 28, 2014

Names:                                                                                              A      B    C

A- Chicken Cordon Bleu                 B- Stuffed Salmon with Crabmeat

C- Chicken Tenders (under 10)

Regrettably unable to attend

ETA: I have no idea why this is wacko.

• Options

@melbellup that might just work...and both my parents and my FI's are married and share the same first inital (Also oddly both of our moms are Janet's and his father is Joesph while mine is John (Joseph!) LOL)

• Options

@melbellup that might just work...and both my parents and my FI's are married and share the same first inital (Also oddly both of our moms are Janet's and his father is Joesph while mine is John (Joseph!) LOL)

I hear you. We have a lot of Jrs and Srs in my family. Heck, so does my FI. Him and his dad have the same 1st and last name but different middle names. My cousin and my uncle are like that too. I'll be numbering my envelopes so I know who is who just in case!
  • Options

There are a lot of wording choices you can do if you want to make it more fun.  Do a search on google for "fun RSVP wording" and you will find many options. I'm having destination wedding on a cruise ship but here's what we did:

John and Jane,

___  We love cruises, beaches & weddings!  We will be there for wedding & cruise!  ____ # attending

___  We love weddings, but sunburn easy.  We will join for wedding but can't cruise.  ___ # attending

___  Sadly, we can't attend, but will be celebrating and sending best wishes from afar.

On outer envelopes we did the formal "Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Family" then wrote informal first names or each guest "John, Jane, and Joe" on the RSVP.   That leaves it pretty clear about who is included in the invite.  A lot people won't do more than check a box or answer simple question.  If you leave blank for them to write their names, that leaves a lot of options for them to add more people or whatever.  Or to not write any name and then you have no idea who the RSVP is from.  I heard so many horror stories about getting RSVP's returned and not knowing who from or tricks to number them with invisible ink, that I figured why not juste write their names on it myself.  Of course that is more work for you.  Luckily, I printed mine myself and had a small guest list. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards