Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Catholic Churches in Minneapolis/St Paul

My fiance and I live in colorado but want to get married back in the twin cities closer to our families- I'm having trouble finding a catholic church close to downtown Minneapolis or St Paul that marries people that aren't members there. Anybody know of any churches where people from out of town can get married?

Re: Catholic Churches in Minneapolis/St Paul

• Options
    In the last couple years, a couple of Knotties mentioned a Catholic Church in NE Minneapolis that performed weddings for non-members. But I don't remember which one. NE is very close to downtown Minneapolis, so that would be in the area you are looking for. If nobody else responds to this post, maybe you could google the churches in NE and give them a call to figure out which one it was, and to see if they are willing.
  • Options

In downtown St. Paul, try Assumption. Also in St. Paul but not quite downtown is St. Stan's.

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Robert Fulghum<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Options
    I just went through this - it was so stressful! We're getting married at St. Kate's. My mom is an alum, and even then I had to write a letter requesting permission to get married in the chapel. I have many family members that are alums of the University of St. Thomas, and we were told that UST doesn't make exceptions to allow non-alums to get married in their chapel.

I called Assumption, and they told me that I would have to write a letter to the priest asking for permission and explaining my dilemma. My uncle is a parishioner there and says that the priest is fairly liberal, so I don't think that it would be a problem. 

I also looked into the Cathedral - again, you have to write a letter asking for permission, and if they say yes, it's twice as expensive to get married there as a non-parishioner (it was somewhere around $2000).

I think that the church in Minneapolis that people are referencing is Our Lady of Lourdes - I didn't look into that one, but I've been told that they allow non-members.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! My mom is also an alum of St Kate's so maybe I can try what you did. We also found a church in St Paul, St Thomas More that allows non-parishioners to get married there.
  • Options
    Check out St Frances Cabrini and St Albert the Great. We're getting married at St Albert's - and I might actually wind up being a parishoner, they are so lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards