Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Yacht Wedding Timeline....

Has anyone had or been to a yacht wedding? We could really use help forming a time line. The yacht is 3 stories so far the plan is to have the ceremony on the top floor (one hour long Hindu ceremony), we have to change clothes for cultural purposes so we are planning to have the cocktail hour on the second floor, then dinner on the first floor then reception and desert on the second floor. From ceremony to reception end is 4:30-11:00PM. I m really worried there is not going to be enough time for the reception. I would truly appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Re: Yacht Wedding Timeline....

• Options
    Will the yacht be at dock during the wedding, or out on the water?  I think if it's out on the water and you're getting back at 11PM, that is more than enough time. I know in my circle, many of the older attendees at a wedding will typically leave a little earlier, as 10PM or 11PM is often late for them. If your yacht is on the water, you aren't giving them the option to leave early, so wrapping up by 11AM would be completely fine.  It sounds like your wedding is a pretty typical length, although I am unfamiliar with typical Hindu traditions and receptions, so I may be wrong.
  • Options
    I am also curious about people wanting to leave earlier. If you are sailing, could there be a drop off around 8-9pm, then sail back out or something?
  • Options

I think this sounds like plenty of time.  Assuming you are not doing a baraat, here is a rough estimate of timeline:

4:30-6:00 ceremony (this leaves a little extra time if you start late, the ceremony goes long, at my Hindu ceremony EVERYBODY wanted to hug us under the mandap after so if that happens, you have extra time, etc)

6:00-7:00 cocktail hour

7:00-8:00 dinner

8:00-11:00 spotlight dances, cake cutting, etc. and dancing

Good luck!

• Options
    Keep in mind also, walking up and down stairs in formal clothing and for older people may not be the easiest thing.  A lot of times on yachts the walkways are narrow and fairly steep so just explore that also when you're thinking of having things on various levels.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 
      Visit The Knot!
  • Options

Thanks so much for all of the help. It really put my mind at ease.

• Options
    scribe95 said:

To me dinner is part of the reception. Under your timeline there will be hour for ceremony, hour for coktail hour and 4 1/2 hours for dinner/reception. That's plenty.

Yeah that's what originally thought too, but there is not a space on the yacht for dinner and dancing to take place on the same floor.
  • Options
    Keep in mind also, walking up and down stairs in formal clothing and for older people may not be the easiest thing.  A lot of times on yachts the walkways are narrow and fairly steep so just explore that also when you're thinking of having things on various levels.

Thank you for that reminder, the yacht does have elevators so I think that will be a big help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards