Honeymoon Discussions
Options

French Polynesia and New Zealand - Costs? Timing? - NWR

(NWR, but if we can't get the time off needed to make it happen in 2014, this could instead be a strong honeymoon contender)

So I am a bit travel obsessed, and my BF is not.  We went to Italy this year, our first international trip together, and really enjoyed the experience of vacationing together.  That said, we learned that BF a) does not like walking around aimlessly discovering city side streets, hiking for a purpose is fine b) doesn't care too much for museums or culture c) likes being able to hang around and do nothing, preferably on a beach.

We got to talking about the next trip we would take (which could potentially be our honeymoon since we're hunkering down on spending and having more serious discussions about finances/family planning, so may not take another vacation if he does propose in the next year or so).  But anyway, he said he wanted to start in a beautiful place to eat, drink, snorkel, and maybe get into activities, and then he can do something more active/different.  I want adventure, great scenery, maybe a bit of a smaller urban experience.

We landed on a combination of French Polynesia and New Zealand.  Being that this is slightly long term planning, costs and such could change, but would love thoughts on the following questions:

• We're thinking 5-6 nights in French Polynesia to start.  Likely keep to just one island with the short time frame, with Bora Bora and Moorea as the leading choices.  Then follow that with 10-14 nights in New Zealand.  Does that sound like a fair itinerary.
  • The budget we've estimated is about $10,000 EXCLUDING airfare - I will very likely be able to get our flights as award redemptions through Delta (on Air France/Air Tahiti Nui)   Depending upon whether or not this is a 2014 or 2015 trip, I may also be able to get two or so nights free or upgraded at a Hilton resort from points.
  • Time of year:  so the best weather is very different for both places.  We were thinking October or November as the ideal time frame to go to both FP and NZ, and especially since we want to start in FP, the weather will hopefully improve slightly in NZ when we move on there.  Also thinking about going from the North Island to the South Island rather than vice versa, again to hope things get a bit warmer by time we visit that part of NZ.  Do you think these months work?  Is the likelihood of rain in FP really high at the beginning of November? 

Appreciate everyone's input, and thank you!!

Re: French Polynesia and New Zealand - Costs? Timing? - NWR

• Options
    @jells2dot0 a little help here?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We haven't booked yet but are looking at bora bora for our honeymoon. We've checked around and we are looking at a different time of year but the overwater bungalows at any hotel on the east side of the island (which is where the bay is) runs about 10k for 6 nights including breakfast and airport transfers but nothing else, airfare is another 3k or so from where we are. We really want to go there but keep being indecisive because it is just so much damn money compared to an upper end room at Sandals.
  • Options
    I'm in Tahiti right now on short internet time. Was in Moorea, currently in Taha'an, and heading to Bora Bora tomorrow. I'll be back next week and can add more :)

• Options
    Awesome Jells!  That will be great firsthand experience to consider.

Have an amazing time!!
  • Options
    I spent 2 weeks in NZ two falls ago. I would absolutely recommend mid to late November. I was there in late September and early October and it was pretty chilly  - even up in Auckland. I'd also recommend spending time in Rotarua and Wellington - the first has amaaaazing hot springs and views and Wellington is just a cool little town; great food, cool sights, lots of things to do. Obviously, if either you or your BF are into Lord of the Rings there are dozens of sights. Definitely stop in Marlborough area down on the south island if you're into wine - they have some of the best Sauvignon Blanc in the world (IMHO). And there's tons of more active pursuits available in Queenstown (bungee jumping, etc).

Also, DEFINITELY go zorbing! It's so much fun: essentially you get in a big inflatable ball, they throw a bucket of water in there with you, then push you down a hill with various tracks. SO much fun!

Hope everything goes well for you - it's an amazing place and I will definitely be returning with my fiance :)
  • Options
    Thanks Melly!

I'm a bit of an LOTR nut, but fortunately have a lot of interest in other things about NZ so I don't derail the whole trip with crazy exclamations about the falls of rauros or the valley of rivendell or anything.

We definitely want to spend time in a wine region, was thinking either Marlborough, Central Otago or Hawkes Bay.

Zorbing sounds awesome! Queenstown seems like a must for the scenery, adventure sports, and access to Milford and Doubtful Sounds.

So maybe I should look at going last week of October / first week of November to FP, and then I'll be in a better weather sweet spot for NZ. So excited!! Even if I can't get off the ground for next fall, I'd say this is the best honeymoon contender since we've both already expressed interest in the combination.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm still a bit short on internet time, but I'm just wrapping up my stay in Bora Bora. We've had mixed weather here, but for the most part, it's been nice.

I am also planning a trip to NZ around the same time next year. I'm staying with a friend for part of the trip and hoping to do 5-7 nights on each island. NZ has a lot to offer and you can plan the trip easily around your interests. Sounds like you already have done quite a bit of research. We're planning our trip to be a mix of light adventure (kayaking, hiking) and luxury (small boutique lodges.) As for Tahiti, I'm wrapping up my 6th stay in the islands. Having air covered will save a ton of money, however, assuming you only have $5k I know you'll get the most out of your budget in Moorea. Moorea is also the best island for a mix of relaxation and adventure. I did several cool tours like a ATV tour, jet skiing with a ray feeding, a jeep safari tour, and a lagoonarium tour (snorkeling coral gardens, dolphin watching.)

One major thing you'll need to do ASAP is secure the air. Tickets to NZ using miles go FAST. Also, I'm not sure how easy it is to get to NZ using Delta miles. I use United miles, which is partnered with Air NZ. Getting to Tahiti on Air France will be a little easier, though their flights are not as frequent as Air Tahiti Nui.

As for budget, I have not started pricing out my NZ itinerary yet, but i'm assuming the bulk of your $10k will have to go to that. That being said, Moorea should work for you, as you can take a ferry there from Papeete and then the resorts tend to be a little less expensive than Bora Bora. Each resort there has its own personality, but if you want the best snorkeling, check out Hilton or Sofitel. I can go on and on about FP/Tahiti since I've been so many times :) PM me if you have any specific questions!

• Options
    Thanks Jells!  That is very helpful.  Will definitely focus on Moorea as the island for FP, especially if we've got an opportunity to relax and do adventure-stuff there.

On the air part, I was looking at Delta after scouring some of those sites like milevalue and thepointsguy, and breaking down the points I currently have and all my Amex points, it seemed like Delta would be the best fit to get us to FP as a stopover, and then fly from Tahiti to NZ (Air Tahiti Nui does this three times per week, so we'll have to line up the dates).   It might be harder to fly out of NZ back to the US, but with Delta we can redeem on Virgin Australia and fly say Sydney to LAX (and then just worry about the cheaper flight between NZ and Sydney with cash).

I'm so excited, and very appreciative of all the advice!  Now to figure out what year this is happening :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards