Wedding Reception Forum

Open Bar for Cocktail Hour...Limited Bar after Dinner

We are have an open bar for cocktail hour and then after dinner only beer and wine are included. I want to put signs on both bars but am having a hard time coming up with a cute saying to explain. Any ideas???

Re: Open Bar for Cocktail Hour...Limited Bar after Dinner

• Cute sayings do not necessarily prevent confusion.  Why not just host a limited bar from cocktail hour through the end of the reception?  I often base my drink choice on what is available at an event.  If I start with a cocktail, I don't necessarily want to switch to beer or wine later in the evening.  But if I know my choices are limited to beer, wine, and a signature drink, I can choose accordingly.
  • How about a limited bar the whole time and offer a signature drink at cocktail hour?
  • Just offer a limited bar for the whole time.  By offering up liquor in the beginning and then taking it away will lead to confusion and possibly irritation on your guests part.

When I go to weddings (or even out at a bar) I pick one drink and stick with it.  So if I have 2 rum and cokes at the cocktail hour and then go back to the bar during dinner to get another only to be told either by the bartender or "cute sign" that rum is no longer available I would be a bit miffed.

• Just offer a limited bar for the whole time.  By offering up liquor in the beginning and then taking it away will lead to confusion and possibly irritation on your guests part.

When I go to weddings (or even out at a bar) I pick one drink and stick with it.  So if I have 2 rum and cokes at the cocktail hour and then go back to the bar during dinner to get another only to be told either by the bartender or "cute sign" that rum is no longer available I would be a bit miffed.
    This. Many times, people try to stick to one type of alcohol the whole night. I would just do a limited bar the whole time. You'll save money, you won't need any signage, and no one will be confused.

FWIW, cute signs don't make any sense to me. I'd rather just know what you're trying to say. In other words, I understand much more clearly this:

"only beer and wine will be served after 9:00pm"

versus this:

"If you drink liquor, keep your eye on the ticker -
    because after 9, it's just beer and wine."

I don't do well with riddles and the latter is like "um, wtf?" Guaranteed it'll cause more confusion than clarity.
    *********************************************************************************

• Definitely keep it simple and stick to the beer & wine the whole time for all of the reasons everyone has already stated.
  • ugh that's so confusing.

just have a limited bar the whole time.

• Host what you can afford the ENTIRE night.  Don't tease people with an open bar during cocktail hour and then scale it back.  Keep it limited bar the entire event and you'll be fine.

• Limited bar the whole time, please. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I've only been to one wedding where the couple did this, and they spread it word of mouth via their bridal party and had signs during cocktail hour saying that only beer and wine would be available after.  Being consistent all evening would be better, but at least this let people know when they ordered their first drink so if they wanted to stick with one kind they could choose beer or wine from the get-go.
  • I'd forget about the signs and spread the word by word of mouth.  I think it's fine to have an open bar for cocktail hour and go limited after dinner.  Your guests aren't 5!  How confused could they get?  LOL.  But I think it is a good idea to let them know ahead of time.  That way people who don't want to mix alcohol will know ahead of time.  What's that saying, mixing liquor makes you sicker?  hahaha
  • If you do this you will have tables where people are stockpile hard liquor drinks for later. Or people slamming as many as the can before the open bar closes. Just saying - I've seen it happen both way and it looks tacky. :(
    You are better off having the same bar service through the entire evening.
    GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'd forget about the signs and spread the word by word of mouth.  I think it's fine to have an open bar for cocktail hour and go limited after dinner.  Your guests aren't 5!  How confused could they get?  LOL.  But I think it is a good idea to let them know ahead of time.  That way people who don't want to mix alcohol will know ahead of time.  What's that saying, mixing liquor makes you sicker?  hahaha

The OP mentioned that only beer and wine would be included as complimentary beverages after dinner.  I am hoping that those are the only beverages available after dinner as well.  What becomes confusing, embarrassing, and impolite, is when the pre-dinner beverages are still available, but for a price.  
  • I attended a wedding like this.  There were no signs and people were just told by the bartender.  I never gave it two thoughts other than "at least they didn't make me pay for drinks after cocktail hour."  I agree though, no cutsie signs please.
  • You should only serve what you can afford and serve it for the whole night. It's never a good idea to put something in front of people that they can't have! If there was a full bar for cocktail hour, and then limited later, I'd be thinking "man, that's cheap. couldn't they have saved some money elsewhere?". It's like making a special point to show people what they can't have. But if it was just limited bar all night? I'd be perfectly happy with that!

I'd think for the price of open bar for an hour and limited bar for 4 hours, you could do limited bar and one signature drink for the full 5 hours. And remember, if your signature drink is some kind of vodka martini, for example, people can still have vodka with any other mixer available if they'd prefer. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards