Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

DJ... Play This....NOT That

So now that I have finally booked my DJ (yay) I am starting my list of music...

I must pick the following :
processional
recessional
ceremony
--
bridal party intro
first dance
b&g first dance
b&d (times 2)
g&m
cake
bouquet toss
garter toss
last dance

along with a list of MUST plays and DO NOT PLAYS 

so far for my do NOT play list I have cha cha slide, wobble, cupid shuffle...

What are some of y'alls song choices for those... also I would love to know favs/hates
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DJ... Play This....NOT That

• Options
    You Make Me Wanna (Shout) was such a huge hit at my friend's wedding that FI and I are definitely having it played. Even the oldest guests put their hands up for that one!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    YMCA by the Village People is on my do not play list. I work for the Y and cannot stand that song any more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    Hopefully your DJ will have an understanding of wedding music, and only play radio-edit music and nothing with profanity, BUT at one of my friend's wedding, the first song the DJ played was the unedited version of "Thrift Shop". 
  • Options
    I attended a wedding about a year ago where the DJ blasted Sir Mix A Lot's "I Like Big Butts." Uh, so inappropriate! Definitely going on my do not play list.
  • Options
    DH and I love dancing to the ukulele version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow at weddings.  
  • Options
    I had a strange list of must plays - but I danced my butt off to al of them!

Must play:
    Beauty and the Beat - Justin Beiber
    Yeah - Usher
    Party in the USA - Miley Cyrus
    Crazy in Love - Beyonce
    Dance Dance - Fall Out Boy
    Any classic Justin Timberlake
    Ludacris/Biggie (that was FIs)
    In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins (this ended up being our intro song - also FIs choice lol)

My do not play list:
    Rhianna, U2, polka/chicken dance, Love Shack - B-52s
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• Options
    We had the Chicken Dance, Electric Slide, YMCA, Macarena and Hokey Pokey on the do not play list.    Basically, we were anti line dances since we knew a good DJ would get people on the floor without resorting to group dances.

The must play list included 
    #41 - DMB
    You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
    anything by the Irish Tenors for cocktail hour

We also got to pick the last song of the night and chose Paul Simon's Late In The Evening. 
  • Options

So, not for a wedding (thank goodness), but the DJ for my work's Christmas party a few years ago was ATROCIOUS.  Really, though, he was so bad it just made people laugh and smile. He was the butt of many a joke around the office for months.

First, he put an Anne Murray CD in during dinner and just let it play.  That's right.  No mixing up the music, just Anne Murray all through dinner.  Incredibly lazy, IMO. Then, after dinner when it was time for some dancing, he kept playing all these old slow songs/elevator music.  We immediately asked him to play more upbeat, recent music and even told him some specific songs we wanted.  The very next song?  "Carribean Queen" by Billy Ocean.  I kid you not, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree no line dances! I guess a lot of DJ's must think it will get people on the dance floor, but the people who don't know those dances aren't going to get on the floor. I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and they played 5 or 6 line dances in a row so I just stood there the whole time with nothing to do. I would much rather dance the way I want (however bad it may be) than try to follow along what everyone else is doing.
  • Options

Must play:
    Yeah - Usher
    Crazy in Love - Beyonce
    In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins (this ended up being our intro song - also FIs choice lol)

My do not play list:
    LOL. That just made feel old. What is considered classic Justin Timberlake? When he was on the Disney channel? 

I won't be having any line/organized danced: electric slide, macarena, etc. 
  • Options

Must play:
    Yeah - Usher
    Crazy in Love - Beyonce

My do not play list:
    LOL. That just made feel old. What is considered classic Justin Timberlake? When he was on the Disney channel? 

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Dont Stop Believin' by Journey, along with the standard electric slide, chicken dance etc, were on our do not play. H thinks Journey is overplayed and beatin to beat.

Must play was Werewolves of London for H, my dad and , FIL. They all love the song. I made the band learn it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The only do not play we had was anything sad or vulgar. We went cheesy & did all the line dances, all the popular stuff. I had requested the Chicken Dance (I thought it would be fun for the little kids) but DJ forgot to play it and by time I realized it, kids were gone. I personally love line dances and so do lots of my friends. Our music ranged from One Direction to Def Lepard. So I guess it really depends on your personal taste. As long as you and your guests are having fun, that's all that matters.
  • Options

Must play:
    Yeah - Usher
    Crazy in Love - Beyonce

My do not play list:

Don't feel old! 

By 'classic' I meant not his new cd, because i'm not crazy about it. More like Sexy Back kind of stuff. :-)
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• Options
    I'd never heard of the Cupid Shuffle or the other song...the one where it's like 5 jumps...now cha cha.. or whatever and the guy taught the dances to us at the wedding, they were really fun to do, even though I'm delayed on them all.

YMCA ended up being the grooms dance with his party.

We actually requested the chicken dance as a compromise to the dollar dance but he didnt play it. Didnt see the harm in it.

My Must Plays:
    Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie)
    Do you Love Me? (Guster)
    Thriller (Michael Jackson - BEST REQUEST EVER, I have awesome photos)
    Jackson (Johnny Cash...hmm he forgot to play that one too)
    Paradise by the Dashboard light ( meatloaf. I request this at all weddings).
    Shout (Isley Bros, also something I request at all weddings)
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    We had a song list a mile long that we made at the request of our DJ. I think he only played three or four songs from it all night and the night still turned out perfect! I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • Options
    line dance songs- cha cha slide, cupid shuffle etc- are da bomb, not sure what you ladies are thinking!
  • Options

Love Shack is on our play list because it's my mom's favorite song. Whenever we go to a wedding together and it comes on, we have to dance to it! I am looking forward to dancing with her to it.

• Options
    I hate Macerana, so that was out.   

All the other special dance type were by request only.  Fact is they are popular with my family/friends, they do fill the dance floor in our social circle. I  didn't see a reason to ban them altogether.  If people requested them fine, if they weren't requested the DJ wouldn't play them. 

The songs last 4 mins tops,  if I didn't want participate there were people to see or the bathroom to use.   NBD

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Bonzo2011Bonzo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2013
    Our do not play list included Justin Bieber and line dances. We had a bunch of 7-12 girls there, so specifically banning Justin Bieber was necessary. What we didn't count on was a special request from two nieces...the DJ even prefaced it by saying "I'm not sure how you dance to this, it's not even a song I would normally play at a wedding, but when you get a request from two cute kids..." It was Somebody That I Used to Know. Odd as it was, it turned into a fun interpretive dance with all the kiddos...and DH and I are probably the only couple who fondly think of their wedding when that song comes on!

As for the other songs you're trying to find, we did:
     Processional - All I Ask of You (Phantom of the Opera, instrumental version) 
    Recessional - Life's a Happy Song (The Muppets, instrumental version) 
    First dance - Come Away With Me (Norah Jones) 
    Father daughter - Unforgettable (duet version of Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole) 
    Mother son - I hope You Dance
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards