Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Explaining delayed honeymoon?

We are getting married March 15, 2014, but are waiting until summer to do our honeymoon due to my daughter being in kindergarten. And I'm sure people will have plenty to say because it will be a very non traditional honeymoon, as we are going to Disney World. We will have someone along (a grandparent or aunt/uncle to my daughter) for her to stay with at night (at the same hotel), but we will be taking her to the parks during the day. I don't feel like explaining this to everyone and listening to criticism on my wedding day. Suggestions? thanks!

Re: Explaining delayed honeymoon?

• Options

Just say "we'll be going to Disney."  Don't say anything about when or with who & change the subject before dashing off to see another guest as you circulate around the room. 

• Options
    Yeah, just say where you are going. Delayed honeymoons are far from uncommon. If people really care, they have too much time on their hands. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I highly doubt anyone will be prying and judging. But you could say something like, "We've been so busy with the wedding planning that we wanted to take some time to relax before the honeymoon. This way, we get to celebrate twice - a few months apart!".
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I can't imagine why anyone would judge this; it seems pretty logical to me! Just say "we're going to Disney next summer." Do you have reason to believe people would be bothered?
  • Options
    FWIW, FI (active duty military) and I currently have no honeymoon plans. When people ask, we just say "We aren't really planning one until career and military stuff settles a bit more." No one seems to care. Usually we just get, "Bummer! Hope you guys can figure something out."
  • Options
    I don't think anyone will be judging you - and I really don't think random person would have the gall to criticize those plans to your face on your wedding day.

Delayed honeymoons are getting to be quite common - I have a good friend who took hers 6 months after her wedding because she's an attorney and her husband was in the army (he got out shortly after the wedding) - it was hard enough for them to find a day to get married when they could both guarantee not being called in to work. Finding a full week? Not a chance.
  • Options
    We were on a similar timeline as you.  We married on March 16th and didn't take our honeymoon until July 6th.  I have no problems getting time off from work, but my H was working a part time job at a school at the time.  He had maybe 4 vacations days?  So we waited until he was out for the summer to take our honeymoon.  It was still great!  And anyone who asked, we just said we were waiting until July due to H's work schedule.  No one thought that was weird.
  • Options
    You don't need to explain it to anyone at all.  And I have a six year old so I completely get why you are going where you're going.  But actually, Disney is one of the most popular honeymoon places in the world so there you go.   We're fortunate that DS's dad can take him for five days right after our wedding so we can go on a traditional honeymoon, but we'll be taking a family moon to San Diego  together over christmas break as well so that DS gets his celebration too.

You've got nothing to worry about here. Just have fun!
  • Options
    I love this idea....a familymoon.
  • Options

Q. Where are you going?

A. Disney

Q. When are you going

A. We're waiting until summer, it's easier to plan for vacations when our daughter isn't in school

• Options
    no need to explain.  Our honeymoon was 3 months after our wedding, no one even questioned it.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Our honeymoon was a few months after our wedding, no one questioned it.  I'd be shocked if anyone questioned you.  It's really nice that you're bringing your daughter along :)
  • Options
    They probably wont question it but even if they do it's none of their concern to begin with. My FI and I probably wont make it to what most would consider a real "honeymoon" until our first anniversary due in one part to time/work and another (more important) part to the fact we don't want to go anywhere really special because we don't want to feel obligated to leave our room unless we feel like it. If we went on a once in a life time trip we'd feel like we HAD to go see all that there was to see, instead of just enjoying the time together as man and wife. The whole point of a honeymoon to me, is to do what makes you and your husband comfortable and feel closer to one another as a couple. In your case if a trip that lets you all have fun and closer as a family unit is what you want to do, then it's a beautiful thing and you should not feel or let anyone make you feel ashamed of that.
  • Options
    Sembree1 said:
    We are getting married March 15, 2014, but are waiting until summer to do our honeymoon due to my daughter being in kindergarten. And I'm sure people will have plenty to say because it will be a very non traditional honeymoon, as we are going to Disney World. We will have someone along (a grandparent or aunt/uncle to my daughter) for her to stay with at night (at the same hotel), but we will be taking her to the parks during the day. I don't feel like explaining this to everyone and listening to criticism on my wedding day. Suggestions? thanks!
    We went to Disney, lots of people go to Disney.  Some of them wear bride and groom mouse ears.  

Lots of people delay their honeymoons for lots of reasons.  I know a couple that delayed theirs till their 5th anniversary.  

I would hope no one would criticize you for this but you know your crowd better than we do.  If someone asks where you are going say Disney and if they try to follow up with anything that seems like it could be offense excuse yourself to get another drink, check on an elderly relative, talk to the photographer, etc.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sembree1 said:
    I don't think anyone will say anything, and if they do don't let it bother you! We are delaying our honeymoon based on our work schedules and the fact that we had to move immediately following our wedding. The fact that you are spending your honeymoon with your husband and your daughter is special and nobody should judge you for wanting to include your daughter, who is clearly an important part of your family, in your honeymoon. We were married on October 5th and at this point haven't even planned/booked a honeymoon (we are looking to take one over Christmas when my husband gets leave) and I am really glad we delayed it for several reasons. I don't think we would've enjoyed it as much had we gone right after the craziness of the wedding and had thoughts of moving/thank you notes/etc hanging over us. And now we have something to look forward to where we can remember our wedding and celebrate :)
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
  • Options
    We were on the same timeline - Married end of March, HM July/Aug.  We didn't even plan our HM until May of that year, after the wedding.  No one questioned it, so I wouldn't worry about it.  If they do, just tell them it's easier with school schedules as PP have suggested.  I'm actually jealous, since I love going to Disney.  Have a great time!!

• Options
    We are going to Disneyland and everyone we tell says oh that will be fun or I love Disneyland. I don't think anybody should judge on where you are going. If anything, Disney is a fun option and I think most people realize that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards