Chit Chat

NWR: Best friend lunch, shock

So my best friend called me to go with her to lunch today.  I could tell by her voice that she needed to talk.  First part of the conversation was all about an argument she had with this guy she's been dating on and off for a few months. Not a big deal. Then we started to eat and she basically has her mind made up to get gastric bypass surgery done Thanksgiving week in Mexico.  I understand her reasoning for wanting the surgery (she's been overweight her entire life, too) but she'd be going by herself.  I work for a school district in the benefits department.  We see so many people come back with infections.  I told her I understood why she wanted to, but to put it off until someone can go with her.  She's been losing a ton of weight the last few years and I don't think she needs it.  I just don't know what else to say.

Re: NWR: Best friend lunch, shock

• I'm assuming she's doing it in Mexico just to save money?

It's pretty common nowadays...
  • There's not much else you can do besides offer to go with her or tell her you strongly suggest she has someone go with her. Ultimately she will do what she wants and then all you can do is be there for her when she gets back.
  • That's what I did, hlvonb, just needed to let it out here since I was sworn to secrecy.  I can't afford to go with her but suggested she gets a family member to go with her (her mom is freaking out) and see her local doctor to make sure he'll treat her after.  We see many cases here where doctor's will not see patients that have surgery in other countries then have complications.  I don't think she will, though, because she knows he'll tell her she doesn't even qualify to have the surgery here in the US (not 100lbs over ideal weight, no disease) and will try to talk her out of it. 

Thanks for listening.
  • Sorry to hear that. It sounds to me like she's fed up being over weight and wants a quick fix without considering the risks associated with this. She should talk to her doctor about what she's planning and get his/her professional opinion. Tell her to get a second or third opinion if she wants. She may want this really badly but mg guess is that any medical professional she talks to will advise against it. Perhaps she should consider that...
    *********************************************************************************

• I really hope she reconsiders this. My brother's ex's mother had a gastric bypass in Texas about 7 years ago, she was in hospital with infection after infection, for about 6 months,before she passed away. She never left the hospital. I know how frustrating it is to struggle with weight, I struggle with it too. Good luck with your friend!
  • Getting a surgery in Mexico?  I wouldn't even vacation there...  Can she get a deal in Canada?
  • I'd be really concerned about her having this surgery in Mexico. 
  • Update:  Just saw her at work after her yelling at me last night when I told her follow-up care with complications will not be covered under our insurance (at least I kept my cool).  She seems to be reconsidering it but saw an advertisement for weight loss pills.  I told her if she's going to do that, at least do the one that's FDA approved but still see her doctor with her concerns.

She seems really depressed over the argument with the guy she's dating.  He's not talking to her now.  She goes through so many highs and lows, I think she needs medication to help her mood but she wont seek that kind of help.  She was seeing a counselor but I think she stopped.

Thanks again, everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards