Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

What to gift family photographer?

Hi guys. My cousin is a professional wedding photographer and is gifting me her photography services for my wedding. I'm beyond psyched about this because for starters, her photography is amazing and if we weren't related I would be booking her anyway, and because I am a bride on a budget and having my photography gifted to me is incredible. I want to gift her something as a thank you. I don't want to give her just money because she made it clear she will not charge me a penny, and even me thanking her with cash might be refused. Or she'd be insulted because what I consider a thank-you gift wouldn't come close to touching her normal prices. Any suggestions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What to gift family photographer?

• Options
    erika610 said:
    Hi guys. My cousin is a professional wedding photographer and is gifting me her photography services for my wedding. I'm beyond psyched about this because for starters, her photography is amazing and if we weren't related I would be booking her anyway, and because I am a bride on a budget and having my photography gifted to me is incredible. I want to gift her something as a thank you. I don't want to give her just money because she made it clear she will not charge me a penny, and even me thanking her with cash might be refused. Or she'd be insulted because what I consider a thank-you gift wouldn't come close to touching her normal prices. Any suggestions?
    It's a shame that your own family member won't be able to enjoy your wedding as a guest.  This, among other reasons, is why I would never hire a family member.   Most people are on a budget of some sort and that's where proper planning comes into play.

That said, I'd give a gift card to her favorite store.
  • Options
    As a photographer, I always take photos at my family weddings. Im not a wedding photographer so i insist on them hiring someone, but if i did it full-time i would gift it to my closest peeps bc I'm going to do it anyway. I actually give them the photos and consider them part of my gift. So i don't think there is anything wrong with her gifting you this. Photogs rarely/ never attend a wedding or big event as merely a guest. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    As a photographer, I always take photos at my family weddings. Im not a wedding photographer so i insist on them hiring someone, but if i did it full-time i would gift it to my closest peeps bc I'm going to do it anyway. I actually give them the photos and consider them part of my gift. So i don't think there is anything wrong with her gifting you this. Photogs rarely/ never attend a wedding or big event as merely a guest. GL!
    The difference is, as a guest who is into photography, you can sit back when you want to and enjoy a drink (or two or three!).  Or cut loose on the dance floor.  Mingle around the cocktail hour.

The reason I would hire someone not related is because I don't want them doing any of that.  They should be working the ENTIRE time.  There is no downtime.  

Now, if you are not my hired photographer and are a family member that just wants to take pictures, have at it.  But I would feel too bad having you work the entire night and not enjoying yourself if you were a family member.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    The difference is, as a guest who is into photography, you can sit back when you want to and enjoy a drink (or two or three!).  Or cut loose on the dance floor.  Mingle around the cocktail hour.

The reason I would hire someone not related is because I don't want them doing any of that.  They should be working the ENTIRE time.  There is no downtime.  

Now, if you are not my hired photographer and are a family member that just wants to take pictures, have at it.  But I would feel too bad having you work the entire night and not enjoying yourself if you were a family member.
    I understand that, but she offered her services as a gift, so I don't see any problem with it. She wants to do it and the OP shouldn't feel bad about accepting. The photog is well aware what she offered and what it means. I actually find it very hard to just be a guest, especially when a loved one has a bad photog. I end up "working" all night so they have good images. She offered, she wants to do it, it's her decision and the OP just took her up on the generous offer. IMHO :)

• Options
    To answer your question OP, I would give her gift cards to dinner - or maybe to photo equipment shop. She won't be insulted if you give her a gift that isn't close to her prices. She is counting it as your wedding gift. She wants to do it for you bc she loves you, not bc she wants a gift.

• Options
    That's lovely, and I see no reason not to accept your cousin's gift. I'd give her a gift certificate for a day at the spa with some wording about thanking her lending her your talent for the day, you want to thank her by letting her put her feet up another day.
  • Options
    I am a professional wedding photographer, and I LOVE doing weddings for family.  I LOVE working all day.  I get to be with the bride and groom more than anyone else, be helpful, and have a large hand in making their day perfect.  I don't want downtime, I want to create amazing photos for the people I love.  If she offered, I'm assuming she feels the same.

I'd say give her anything that is thoughtful and from the heart.  I'd much rather get something personal, like a nice card and a gift card for my favorite place, or something hand made, than a photo company gift card.
    Thank you all for your suggestions!! A gift card and a heartfelt thank-you note sound perfect. I do think she feels the same as you do- she truly loves photographing weddings. I'm certain she completely thought it out before offering her services, and she approached me so I know she's completely okay with the idea. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards