Michigan-Lansing

Craigslist, trust?

IzzJonesIzzJones member
First Comment Name Dropper
edited October 2013 in Michigan-Lansing
I like to look on craigslist for furniture or whatever sometimes, and I've noticed how many vendors advertise on craigslist, particularly photographers.  Most of the time I look at their stuff, and I know instantly that they are not worth my time.  Photography is so important!  Every once in awhile I find something that intrigues me.  What are your thoughts?

Re: Craigslist, trust?

• Sorry, the link just goes to the knot.
  • Fixed.  Who knows how that happened.  Thanks for the catch!
  • edited November 2013
    Good morning! I'm a major craigslister. I found all of my wedding plates, napkins, flatware, table linens, etc. on there. Even my caterer, who turned out to be fabulous and interested in trading marketing services for a discount for my wedding. :) For wedding photography, you are going to get the most bang for your buck from someone who does a lot of couple's photography, but hasn't shot a wedding yet (or has only shot 1 or 2). Ask for a list of their equipment and for a series of photographs from the SAME session. That way you can tell if they know what they are doing, or if they are just advertising their "lucky" shots. Edit: also, if it is a hobbyist and they quote a price too high, make a counter offer. Sometimes you can get lucky and barter it down a bit.

I am a video editor for a University and cover their events, create youtube videos, etc. I have videotaped 3 weddings for friends (with varying degrees of success). With wedding videography, EQUIPMENT MEANS EVERYTHING (but skill is also extremely essential). They need a wireless lapel mic, a video tripod, an audio recorder, and--for the cinematic looks bride's are going for now-a-days--at least one DSLR (capable of HD video). This is the bare bones. The better the videos, the more you are going to pay, because they take more time to edit, require more man power, and much more (expensive) equipment. $1000 is CHEAP for an entire day of coverage. $500 is a price I would be weary of, especially since her VIMEO channel has only one video on it. However, her photography is nice , which is a good indicator that she knows the aesthetic end of shooting video with a DSLR. However, she may be completely unable to provide decent audio for you. It sounds like she is probably just going to offer a compilation or music video, instead of a fully cut ceremony/reception toasts, etc.

That being said Video editing is lengthy (much more so than photography). I charged $450 for my first wedding video adventure. It gave me something for my portfolio, and the bride was happy enough. As long as you don't have extremely high hopes, then it may be worth it to take a risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards