Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Inexpensive Ceremony/Reception Venues

Hello all.
I just got engaged over the weekend and starting to lay out the ground work for our wedding day (May 24th 2014).
I have been looking online and found a recent article by the Register that gives a list of popular venues with information (some include pricing and how far ahead to book). I'd love to keep it at or under $2k for the venue. I'm open to outdoors (but then I'm putting all my eggs in the weather basket). My ideal spot is on the south captiol grounds , where the shattering silence monument and Judicial Branch are. Why? Because ceremonies on the Capital grounds are FREE. The state does not charge for the use of the grounds! Great news right?! I thought so. But the fiance and my mom are warning against an outside wedding. Particularly the spot I want, I could be potentially batteling the wind too. 
So, to sum it all up. I'm looking for a venue where I can host a ceremony and reception (seperate rooms) and preferably a venue that has an outdoor option (which makes it easier to move the ceremony, if need be). 
Anyone have any ideas? Oh, also, we expect to have a pretty large guest list, as his family is rather large, so the venue needs to support 200 atleast. 

Re: Inexpensive Ceremony/Reception Venues

• Options
    the windsor heights community center is quite pretty, but i am not sure how many it holds. my cost was around $900
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_inexpensive-ceremonyreception-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:80Discussion:2329e9ee-85a0-4209-8217-aaebd91043e4Post:48c136d8-d67f-48d2-90d4-fb179f722e7c">Re: Inexpensive Ceremony/Reception Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]the windsor heights community center is quite pretty, but i am not sure how many it holds. my cost was around $900
    Posted by cemetreesc[/QUOTE]<div>I didn't even know about this place...very pretty.</div><div>Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to look into it.</div><div>

</div>
  • Options
    Hyperion Field Club in Johnston, $500. Unbeatable view.
  • Options
    Hy-Vee Conference Center in West Des Moines.  As long as you meet the food minimum (pretty easy, but the food isn't overpriced!), there is no additional room rental fee. Plus there are many complimentary amenities, including set-up and tear down!  It definitely has plenty of space for 200+ guests.  They have the option of renting an additional room for the ceremony for an extra cost.
  • Options

Colby Park (Windsor Heights Community Center) only holds 180. We loved Prairie Meadows. If you decide on the smaller ball room if you spend I think $4k in food they waive the room fee of $1,500 and for us to do 180 dinners that got us over $4k. We ended up not going there for the reception but we did book it for the rehearsal dinner next to the race track. We went with Grandview Golf Course. It also holds right around 180 and is $100 an hour then a $100 custodial fee (set up & clean up). Ramada Inn on Meral Hay is also GREAT if you haven't found anything. These were are top 3 and went with Grandview since we can do the wedding out side or inside :) I just received a list of places from a DJ if you haven't found a venue yet.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I actually decided on the Izaak Walton Banquet Hall off of George Flagg Pkwy in Des Moines near Water Works Park.
    $750 rental, and their food is pretty inexpensive, with good reviews. 
    I'm keeping the food light and going with Sandwich Platters included is ice tea, and lemonade, along with a starch and vegetable as a side...at only $13 per plate. Not too bad. 

• Options
    Well congratulations Somerlynn87 I have the same wedding date and I also don't have a venue yet. does anyone else have any additional suggestions???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards