Wedding Party

Casual Wedding With Large Wedding Party

FI and I have been thinking about who we would like to include in our wedding party and have come up with 8 per side. We haven't asked anyone yet besides the MOH (this isn't going to change as it's my sister) but I keep feeling that having such a large wedding party is going to look funny at a casual wedding (meaning we are totally fine with our guests showing up in jeans and a t-shirt if this is what makes them happy). Would you side eye a large wedding party for a non-formal wedding?

For the remainder of the BM's, I plan to ask my best friend from college, FI's sister, and a group of 5 ladies that are my nearest and dearest where we live. FI says that we should have who we want and not worry about what others think but I'm unsure about etiquette in this.

Re: Casual Wedding With Large Wedding Party

• Ehhh, I think large wedding parties are a little AW'ish in general, but the formality of your wedding has nothing to do with the numbers.

• edited October 2013
    I wouldn't side-eye a large wedding party for any type of wedding - formal or not. If you want 8 people per side, great! 

But some things to think about - it's a LOT of coordinating to have that many WP members, your head table will be enormous, gifts will add up quickly, etc. We had 4 on each side and it still seemed like a lot. It's an enormous honor to attend as a guest. Not every single one of your close friends needs to be in your WP.

ETA: Also, you stuff like an RD will be more expensive because it'll be a bigger event with the whole WP and their SOs. Also, most B&Gs give the WP a plus one, so potentially that's 32 people. Again, just food for thought.
    *********************************************************************************

• There is nothing wrong with the size of your WP, and don't fret about the sides being even.  My favorite question that I've seen used is "It's midnight and you need to bury a body who do you call?".  If all of your girls fit then go with it.  (I do agree with SouthernBelle though, that having a larger WP means more to coordinate and more gifts.)
  • jedsc17jedsc17 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2013
    Thank your for your answers and honesty. I think its the coordination that's making me fret but they are definitely all people I would rely on to "bury a body". :) I'll definitely bring your points of coordination and gifts to FI and go from there. Thank you again.
  • I think it would only look odd if you had a Bridal party of 16 people and only 30 guests attending your wedding.

Like prior poster said things to take into consideration with that many people

-gifts for bridal party

-flowers for everyone if you do flowers

-With the BM's all the different tasts & styles they will have when it comes to their dresses

-Cost of rehersal dinner (you technically should invite SO to rehersal dinner too)

-Transportation on the day of the wedding for wedding party. Will everyone drive seperate, or will you get a bus large enough to include everyone & if so, will SO be included on bus or on their own

By no means am I saying don't do the large wedding party, but you need to take the costs of these things into consideration because once you ask people you don't want to be going, omg what did we get ourselves into financially. They people you want to ask will be there for you no matter what, if they are part of the wedding party or a guest.  :)

• itzMS said:
    Ehhh, I think large wedding parties are a little AW'ish in general, but the formality of your wedding has nothing to do with the numbers.
    What does AW stand for? I have seen it before but I cannot figure out what it means.
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @tabathafaye, AW = Attention Whore.
  • tabathafayetabathafaye member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    @tabathafaye, AW = Attention Whore.

Stuck in box
    Thank you! Makes perfect sense now!