Massachusetts-Boston

AFFORDABLE Massachusetts Venue

Hi!  My partner and I are looking for a VERY affordable reception venue for December 2014.

We're having the ceremony at Old South Church in downtown Boston.  We are looking for a non-traditional reception with about a $5000 budget for the reception venue and food.  (We're doing a dry wedding, so no alcohol cost, plus thinking buffet-style food, and no big white cake).  We're expecting around 175 guests.  We are definitely open to going north of the city for a reception (no more than 45 minutes to 1 hour drive).

Any ideas?  I'm looking at everything and anything!

Thanks!
Kaitie

Re: AFFORDABLE Massachusetts Venue

• That works out to about $28.50 per person, including tax and tip. That's no DJ and no centerpieces. I can't think of any nice place where you can get a $20.00 quote. I suggest you consider cutting your guest list down and/or having your reception at a non-meal time.
  • Thanks. We aren't looking for anything traditional, rather something creative. We also are not doing a DJ or centerpieces - the $5000 is really just food and the actual venue itself. Any ideas are appreciated!
  • It really depends on where you do it.  We're on the Southcoast and there are plenty of places where I could throw a nice wedding for $5K with a good meal.  I think you need to vbe very creative with venue and catering but it's possible.  I don't want a backyard wedding but I have looked at barbecue caterers (not burgers, more like smoked chicken and pulled pork and ribs) and the prices are a LOT lower than your average wedding food (think $20pp for the top packages, $14pp for fewed choices) and a couple of restaurants (that we already know have great food) that have buffets in the range of $11-15pp and include dishes/silverware/etc.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kaitie, Have you considered hosting your reception as a brunch? With a brunch option, you can get more value for price, and not have to cut things out.
  • Have you looked at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem? I believe they have a winter wedding deal for $45 per head and they don't charge a rental fee. Not sure if your 5000 is for the entire wedding or just the venue and food costs.

Not sure how far you want to travel, but the I heard the Wachusett Village Inn in Westminster is pretty affordable. Also The Community House in Hamilton is very pretty and I believe lets you bring in your own caterer so you could save a bundle with that. Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards