Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

DIY hair vs. Professional?

What do you guys think?
I'm TERRIBLE with hair, so I had thought I'd definitely get it done professionally. But then I saw a DIY post thing about pin curls on short hair and I fell in love. I'm going to have a high-backed lace dress with a birdcage veil and my hair is pretty short (right now it's just above my shoulder but I'll be cutting a few inches off between now and the wedding).
Obviously I'll do a couple of test runs before then, but do you guys think it's a good idea or should I still just fork over the cash and trust my hair with someone else.

Re: DIY hair vs. Professional?

• Options
    I would never DIY my hair for a wedding or other formal event.

A professional will not only have all the right tools and products...but they will be able to see your hair from all angles.

We all know someone who's hair looked great from the front, but the back was a disaster...
  • Options
    What @itzMS said and also, a professional will have the right products to make your hair stay the way you want it for an entire day. It probably needs to last for at least 8 hours and through dancing and hundreds of people hugging you. That takes a lot.
  • Options
    If you admit that you are terrible with hair then why do you think that DIYing your hair for your wedding would in anyway be a good idea?

Go with a professional.

• Options
    The way I looked at it was.....my wedding day was going to be one of the most important and most photographed days of my life.  No way in hell I'd leave hair (or makeup!) to anyone but a pro.  Worth the splurge for the day (and the trials!).
  • Options
    Terrible with your hair? Don't DIY. Fork out the extra cash for the peace of mind and the photos.
  • Options
    I am also terrible at doing my own hair and makeup. I'd never dream of trying to do it myself for my wedding. Why add that extra pressure on yourself?? What if, even after test runs, it just doesn't come out the way you want it and you have no one to fix it for you? Go professional. 
  • Options
    I did my own makeup, but booked a pro stylist for hair. I'm also not so great with hair and it was such a relief to not have to worry about it on my wedding day. So I'll join the chorus recommending pro hair.
  • Options
    Having done multiple theatrical productions set in the 1920s--don't try to do pin curls on yourself. Either the type you take out or the type you leave in. They are beautiful if done well, but they are a huge pain in the butt and you can't see everything.
    Also, they can be time consuming! Definitely tip off your stylist if that's the direction you're leaning so you can plan on enough time to do them well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards