Chit Chat
Options

If your pants have feet attached to them, they’re tights, not pants.

edited October 2013 in Chit Chat
Had to share this PSA! Thank you and have a nice day ;)

What are your feelings on leggings, jeggings and tights worn as pants in public? 
I'd prefer not to have that amount of info on anyone's anatomy in the grocery store. Call me prude if you must.

How to tell if you're wearing tights:

I love the flow chart!
:kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

Re: If your pants have feet attached to them, they’re tights, not pants.

• Options
    ROTFL! I needed that today, thanks!
  • Options
    I think the only question one should really ask is "Are you sporting camel toe?"

My feelings on this subject are mixed. I don't wear them, I feel a little bit on display. I do think that a lot of people look fantastic wearing them. However, if you sport a camel toe, you are not only embarrassing yourself but those around you who have to see it. It just stares at you. Awful.
  • Options
    My SIL is 6' tall. As a result, *ALL* dresses on her are short -- like micro-mini short. So she wears tights under all her dresses/skirts to make sure her ass isn't hanging out the bottom and so she feels modest and covered-up. I can get behind that entirely and I think it makes sense.

But ditto @CommitmentCat -- if you're sporting camel toe, and the general public can see it, then you're wearing them wrong, please put on new clothes, kthanksbai.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I frequently either suppress the urge or occasionally don't (hello PMS) to say "tights are not pants!" to people wearing what appears to be panty hose with no skirt or dress or even a tunic to cover their bits.  I don't need to be able to tell whether or not you're wearing underwear, never mind what style and color they are, thank you very much.
  • Options
    I thought leggings were at least supposed to be worn with shirts that covered your ass. I have seen them worn the other way far too often.
  • Options
    I constantly see woman wearing tights as pants, without a shirt/dress of the appropriate length at work all the time and many times they are flesh toned.  Not only do I think it's gross, this is also a dress code violation but my work is not very good about enforcement.  I also see woman wearing them that truly should not wear them.  I am a plus size woman, I find cute clothes that cover my body appropriately.  Just because something comes in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it.
  • Options
    I have a pair of jeggings.  They are just super stretchy jeans (the same material as my other jeans just more lycra I guess) that have an elastic waist band which is freaking awesome by the way.

They don't give me a camel toe and I only wear them if I am wearing my flat knee high boots or Uggs so that my pants can go into the boots.

Now, leggings, I don't have a pair but it depends on what you wear with them if I think they are appropriate or not.  If you are wearing a shirt that does not cover your crotch or ass then you are doing it wrong.

Tights should only be worn under skirts or dresses.  They should never be worn as pants.  If I can still see your skin tone under them then they do not qualify as pants.  Period.
    All of this!!!

And I also have a pair of jeggings from Target which really do look like jeans minus the fact that they "fly" on them is fake. But yeah, only worn with longer tops and flat knee-high boots. I don't own leggings. My work BFF and I constantly see people at work on the sidewalk sporting inappropriate legging-outfits and say "leggings are not pants!"
  • Options
    ranzzo said:
    I constantly see woman wearing tights as pants, without a shirt/dress of the appropriate length at work all the time and many times they are flesh toned.  Not only do I think it's gross, this is also a dress code violation but my work is not very good about enforcement.  I also see woman wearing them that truly should not wear them.  I am a plus size woman, I find cute clothes that cover my body appropriately.  Just because something comes in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it.
    Ugh, flesh toned are just not good.  It makes you look like you are wearing no pants at all!  I just don't get it.

• Options
    I have a pair of jeggings.  They are just super stretchy jeans (the same material as my other jeans just more lycra I guess) that have an elastic waist band which is freaking awesome by the way.

They don't give me a camel toe and I only wear them if I am wearing my flat knee high boots or Uggs so that my pants can go into the boots.

Now, leggings, I don't have a pair but it depends on what you wear with them if I think they are appropriate or not.  If you are wearing a shirt that does not cover your crotch or ass then you are doing it wrong.

Tights should only be worn under skirts or dresses.  They should never be worn as pants.  If I can still see your skin tone under them then they do not qualify as pants.  Period.
    All of this. 

I wear a thick pair of leggings. I wear them under my long shirts or under dresses and skirts. I do not know how some are comfortable with wearing tights or leggings as pants and wearing a shirt. Being able to tell if someone is wearing underwear or not and what color is just ew....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was walking to the main gate at Universal last year when I noticed guys in front of me turn around looking at something.  It was a girl in her 20s wearing leggings as pants.  Her ass was hanging out, I didn't see if she had a camel toe, though.  FI says he didn't notice until I pointed it out, lol.
  • Options
    That chart is hilarious. 

I own tights and leggings. I only wear them with dresses or very long shirts. 
  • Options
    Ugh. I hate how they look on their asses. Like seriously. No one wants to see your ass in tights or leggings. the end.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I have consulted my brother on the use of leggings - he says, there is less than 2% of women that men actually want to see in them, but they put up with all the yucky ones hoping they will encounter one of the 2%. He also said it never happens.
    If your top covers you butt and lady parts then I will allow leggings or jeggings. Tights are only acceptable with a skirt or dress and then PLEASE go with the fingertip rule!
    I don't get why all these girls, skinny or not, think we all want to see the intimate details of below their waist in the produce section! Noooooooooooo...
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

I totally agree.

I really don't need to know that you have a large amount of cellulite on your ass. Keep that shit at home.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    mmm4763 said:

And I also have a pair of jeggings from Target which really do look like jeans minus the fact that they "fly" on them is fake. But yeah, only worn with longer tops and flat knee-high boots. I don't own leggings. My work BFF and I constantly see people at work on the sidewalk sporting inappropriate legging-outfits and say "leggings are not pants!"

I rock the Target ones too. Of course, it's with a long sweater and tall boots. But, they are so comfy, it's like wearing fake yoga pants. :)
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    My mom and sister and I say "leggings are not pants!" whenever we see someone wearing them in public without an appropriately long top. I love rocking fun colored tights, but cannot imagine wearing them without a skirt or dress!
  • Options
    Oh the shame...

I am a legging girl. But in my defense mostly on a to and from the gym basis. Occasionally for some other purpose. Occasionally.
  • Options
    I agree, leggings are not pants.

Leggings and tights are meant to be worn under a dress/skirt or a long (butt-covering) shirt. That is their purpose. Not to show off your booty. 

I do wear skinny jeans though. 

@HisGirlFriday13 That's how they are supposed to be worn- rock on SIL! 

This happened a lot in my program at school. So many girls wore the Lululemon yoga tights (aka. leggings) as pants. Again, not pants, wear them to yoga. 

I also have running tights- and boy do my legs look great in them! But that is the only time they are worn- is for running (or other sports), because that's what they are for. They are not every day pants. 
  • Options
    That graphic is great!  I totally agree.  Leggings are ok as long as the shirt/dress covers your butt.  Tights belong under dresses/skirts, period.  Never alone.

That's my opinion.

Running tights/spandex shorts are ok but even those, I wear running shorts over.
  • Options
    maryemoomaryemoo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013

I personally feel that leggings are NOT pants. They were originally meant to be layered with. If I can see your stuff, you need something else to cover up.

ETA: I myself own many tights/leggings...they are worn only under dresses/skirts, or sometimes to sleep in. (I have a pair of opaque knee-length stretchy cotton leggings that are good for bedtime.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards