October 2014 Weddings

Tell Us About Your Day!

LDay2014LDay2014 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited November 2013 in October 2014 Weddings
So, I'm fairly new to the boards but wanted to share with you a bit about our plans for our wedding...and hope that you all will do the same!

Date: October 4, 2014
Theme: Vintage Trains
Colours: Orange/Gray
Guest Count: 25
Budget: $5000 (exclusive of landscaping)

We are getting married in our backyard, with a very small group of people who have been incredibly supportive of Jason and I and the journey we have both been on over the past few years.  It is the 2nd time for me, first time for him and we want to keep it very small and personal.

My fiance works for the railroad, his father works for the railroad, his grandfather worked for the railroad.  Our lives revolve around the railroad - hell, he even proposed at the old John Street Roundhouse (currently Steam Whistle Brewery) in Toronto.  We love vintage, old fashioned things and thought it would be great to do a vintage train theme - not cheesy, think old black and white train photos.  Our invitations will be the old fashioned punch card train tickets - and they are being made by my best friend (and MOH - who is super crafty), and our favours are rail spikes that are bottle openers.  We even thought of using old steam trunks instead of chairs, but having trouble finding that in our small town.  And yes, there will even be a G-scale train layout functioning in the backyard.  We wanted to get married in the backyard because it's so personal for us, where better to celebrate our lives than in our own home?  Jason wanted to get the backyard landscaped anyway so he has been tasked with having that completed...and the work starts tomorrow!

We are being married by our church's reverend, with our best friends and siblings standing up with us.  A close friend of ours (a professional musician) will play the guitar for our ceremony, my daughters (6 &7 at the time) will walk me down the aisle and will do a reading on what a family is. Our rings, are rings that we had already given eachother...like a commitment when we were in a rough patch of our relationship.  They are currently work on our right hands but will become our wedding rings on that day as a continued commitment to always work at being the best together we can be.

After the ceremony, we are going to do photos at the train tracks in the woods.  His cousin is a photographer and will be doing the photos for us.  Since we live about 2 hrs north of Toronto, the colours will be very bright and make for beautiful pictures.  We will also be using his dad's old vintage car for our 'getaway' and in the pictures as well.  

We are not doing a traditional big reception, but rather taking our guests out for dinner at the fine dining steakhouse and we will foot the bill for the dinner/drinks.

A close friend of ours is a chef with President's Choice and will be making the cake as a gift to us.

We are trying to include as many of the people who are coming to the wedding in different elements as it makes it feel very personal for us to have them contribute in making our day special, as they have in making us who we are.

I'm not sure I would call it a 'traditional' wedding, but it sure will be special for us :)

Re: Tell Us About Your Day!

• We are date twins!  I am getting married October 4th as well.  Your day sounds wonderful!  Plus, a nice thing about a small guest list is that it shouldn't be too hard to find an alternative to an outdoor ceremony if the weather is bad. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • des9724des9724 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    So, I'm fairly new to the boards but wanted to share with you a bit about our plans for our wedding...and hope that you all will do the same!

Date: October 4, 2014
    Theme: Vintage Trains
    Colours: Orange/Gray
    Guest Count: 25
    Budget: $5000 (exclusive of landscaping)

We are getting married in our backyard, with a very small group of people who have been incredibly supportive of Jason and I and the journey we have both been on over the past few years.  It is the 2nd time for me, first time for him and we want to keep it very small and personal.

My fiance works for the railroad, his father works for the railroad, his grandfather worked for the railroad.  Our lives revolve around the railroad - hell, he even proposed at the old John Street Roundhouse (currently Steam Whistle Brewery) in Toronto.  We love vintage, old fashioned things and thought it would be great to do a vintage train theme - not cheesy, think old black and white train photos.  Our invitations will be the old fashioned punch card train tickets - and they are being made by my best friend (and MOH - who is super crafty), and our favours are rail spikes that are bottle openers.  We even thought of using old steam trunks instead of chairs, but having trouble finding that in our small town.  And yes, there will even be a G-scale train layout functioning in the backyard.  We wanted to get married in the backyard because it's so personal for us, where better to celebrate our lives than in our own home?  Jason wanted to get the backyard landscaped anyway so he has been tasked with having that completed...and the work starts tomorrow!

We are being married by our church's reverend, with our best friends and siblings standing up with us.  A close friend of ours (a professional musician) will play the guitar for our ceremony, my daughters (6 &7 at the time) will walk me down the aisle and will do a reading on what a family is. Our rings, are rings that we had already given eachother...like a commitment when we were in a rough patch of our relationship.  They are currently work on our right hands but will become our wedding rings on that day as a continued commitment to always work at being the best together we can be.

After the ceremony, we are going to do photos at the train tracks in the woods.  His cousin is a photographer and will be doing the photos for us.  Since we live about 2 hrs north of Toronto, the colours will be very bright and make for beautiful pictures.  We will also be using his dad's old vintage car for our 'getaway' and in the pictures as well.  

We are not doing a traditional big reception, but rather taking our guests out for dinner at the fine dining steakhouse and we will foot the bill for the dinner/drinks.

A close friend of ours is a chef with President's Choice and will be making the cake as a gift to us.

We are trying to include as many of the people who are coming to the wedding in different elements as it makes it feel very personal for us to have them contribute in making our day special, as they have in making us who we are.

I'm not sure I would call it a 'traditional' wedding, but it sure will be special for us :)

I'm pretty sure we need to be knottie best friends! Not only do we have the same theme, but we're getting married on the same date1 My fiance also works for the railroad, and we're using his career as inspiration for our wedding! I saw the same type of invitation online, and I recreated it to make it our own.  Our tables are going to be named after railroad companies, and we have an old black/white photo with the company's logo on it. If you'd like to use it, I can send it to you! I'll post pictures!  I've also found O scale metal trains, and we're matching the trains to the name of the tables.  

Your favor idea sounds so cute!  Your wedding sounds so beautiful already! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • that sounds very nice! I am happy for you! 

Also I just want to say that I can't believe you got engaged at the steam whistle brewery because that place is very special to my fiance and I! We are from NY and we went to Canada last year on vacation.  We just walked in there not knowing what it was and we seriously had the best day.  The people who worked there were so generous and sweet and we LOVED the beer.. wish we could buy it around here! I told Tom about this post he was like, NO Way!!! lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards