Florida-Central Florida

Any Winter Park Farmer's Market Brides?

I am getting married at WPFM in April of next year and am trying to figure out a couple things. If you have the same venue, I'd love to hear how you're handling these:

1. Cocktail hour... we are using the patio for our ceremony, the reception inside, so where could I set up for the cocktail hour?

2. Colors! I've become obsessed with a soft, romantic color palette but the space is so dark I'm worried it  just won't work. I'm completely stuck here and it's putting the brakes on the rest of my planning - it's hard to do anything without wedding colors!

Thanks for the help!

Re: Any Winter Park Farmer's Market Brides?

• edited December 2011
    I think you have to have the cocktail hour inside and just have people in there at their tables. That's what I remember from the wedding I went to there-there really is no other choice. It is a little bit small too, so unless you only have maybe 40 ppl, you can't put up a partition or anything like that.

If you want light colors, you should do a lot of light table cloths. I think you probably need to bring in lights too because it is really dark. Maybe a DJ can do uplighting for you. My photographer did a wedding there and it does look pretty dark but there are some lights:

http://kristenwynnphotography.blogspot.com/2011/06/jessica-and-james-i-dos-married.html
  • nlovesj22nlovesj22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi sporkula!!

My fiance and I are having our reception there at the end of January.  Unfortunately I can't help with the cocktail hour situation, but the colors sound similar to what we are doing.  I've included pictures of our palette, which will be accented in floral arrangements, with cream colored linens and wood chairs.  It is really dark in there, so lots of candle arrangements help.  I think the soft colors play nicely off the dark brick/wood!  Good luck and let me know if you need someone to bounce ideas off of! :)  - nicole  

• sporkulasporkula member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you both!

Ultimately I can't imagine having the cocktail hour and reception in the same place, so I think what we'll do is have our ceremony at Albin Polasek down the street, which leaves the farmer's market patio free for cocktail hour. We visited there yesterday and both loved it.

Nicole that palette is beautiful!! Pretty much exactly what I wanted to do. Except I hit a snag when I fell in love with a bright white, satin dress with silver accents - time for new colors! My MOH (an interior designer, so I trust her way more than myself) suggested a silvery gray and yellow combination with vintage accents like mercury glass and pearls, which so far I'm in love with. I'm actually thinking of going dark like this wedding:

http://shannonnicolesmith.com/blog/2011/02/nicole-ian-hitched/

I might just try to play off the dark space, accenting it with bright metallics (chairs and chargers) and adding soft light with candles and my DJ's uplighting.
    edited December 2011
    The Polasek is great! That is also where we are having our ceremony! (haha.. great minds think alike!) :) 

I love the silver, gray, and yellow combo idea!  The wedding from the link is definently pretty, but too traditional for my taste.. It just all depends on what you want.  That's why the farmers market is so great, because you can do whatever you want with it.  

Who have you hired so far for your vendors?  We have been slacking a little, but we are on the 5 month time crunch now..  It's so nice to have found someone on here with the same venue and ideas :) 
    edited December 2011
    Also.. I just thought about this, this morning.  Have you received pricing yet for the Polasek?  Just wanted to let you know, its a little pricey for a ceremony, IMO.  I'll let you know about it if you want.  I just went in thinking it was cheaper ($595 for rental) and then it is turning out to be much more than expected., so just wanted to give you a heads up. To me, it's so pretty, so it's worth it... but still.. It's only the ceremony.  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have quite all of my vendors yet. We are using Magic Occasions for catering - they are a sister company of Mona Lisa restaurant in Longwood (my favorite place), and their prices are unbeatable - $28pp for two entrees, 6 hor d'oeuvres, 3 sides, salad, and even the cake! The food is not fancy, more like comfort food your grandma makes, but it's very tasty. Soundwave is our DJ, and my photographer is coming from Pensacola (I'm a graphic designer and have been doing her website for years, so we are swapping services!). I'm skipping flowers and am going to handle most of the decor myself, as well as the stationery. Thinking of Fenice Events for linens and chairs. I have yet to settle on a ceremony musician or officiant.

What are you encountering with Polasek's prices? I was just quoted the $595. I know we may have to get valet parking, which I was quoted $120 for. And chair rental, about $250 from their preferred vendor. Should I be aware of any other hidden costs? I'm stretching my budget to do the ceremony there, so I do appreciate if there's anything you can tell me that would sway my decision (I haven't signed the contract yet - still trying to get in touch with Kimberly).
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like you're moving right along with your vendors!  That's awesome about the food pricing, I'm jealous! haha.   

It seems like you are aware of most of the additional costs at the Polasek.  Just as I was writing this I finally heard back from the valet place.  I was quoted 150, but I was pretty sure it was going to be more.. so I'm happy to hear that.  I did not want to use their preferred vendor because they did not have the mahogany chairs I was looking for.  So I also was going to get chairs from fenice.  Instead of renting double the chairs, it was actually cheaper to pay the Polasek's outside vendor fee and then have Fenice move the chairs over to the Farmers Market.  Of course, all this is still in the works, so I don't know if it will actually work out in my favor.  

The only other fee that may be  inquired is the rehearsal fee if you are outside the Polasek's hours.  They close at 4:00, so I am assuming you would have to at least start the rehearsal by 3.  We live over in Brevard County and have a lot of out of state guest, so I don't know yet if my I will have to schedule out of hours.  You might now have this issue... 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yuck, I did forget to ask about the rehearsal fee. There's no way we could start the rehearsal at 3. How much is the outside vendor fee? I would probably run into that issue too.

I may reconsider now, especially since it's been nearly three days without hearing back from their event coordinator. I've instead put a hold on Leu Gardens for that day, they are a bit more expensive per hour, but they include chairs and would not require valet. So they actually come out cheaper in the end.

Thanks for the heads up on all of this!
    edited December 2011
    Rehearsal fee outside of business hours is $100 per hour.  Outside vendor fee is $350.00.  Once you add up everything it most likely will be more expensive than Leu Gardens.  I wanted our aisle lined with rose petals.. which would be the only floral I was doing for the ceremony.  Leu Gardens does not even let you drop a rose petal, I believe. (could be wrong on that).  

Once I realized all of this though, I had already signed the contract! Ooops.. oh well!  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes! Good to know, thank you. Weddings are crazy, and unless you're planning your second, it's hard to know what to expect. Casa Feliz was my absolute dream venue, but I was scared off by the catering price...but now that I have two venues, need to rent chairs, some tables, linens, my own coordinator, etc., I realize I probably could have done Casa Feliz for the same price! Too late now. Oh well, every wedding ends the same way anyway.

And yes Leu Gardens is very strict on the petals.
  • I am considering getting married at WPFM, but am concerned about where we would have our rehearsal the night before since I was informed that most people do it offsite.  Any ideas?
  • I'm having my wedding at the WPFM on a saturday in Jan.. My wedding planner told me that I could have my rehearsal at the farmers market on friday around noon. Since we would be having the ceremony on the patio it would be easy to use the patio if we needed but then we are going to Fiddlers for a lunch buffet. His family is Irish so it fit right in. 

Cocktail hour we are just doing inside. We went with blue, yellow, white for a country theme. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards