Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Has anyone done a cake pull or ribbon pulling? esp in NYC area?

I watched 4 weddings the other day and saw a New Orleans bride have a cake pull (originally called Ribbon pulling in Victorian Era). I thought this was the coolest thing and I want to do it too. I found this site as well as others describing it and this link has a video of a cake pull. http://www.squidoo.com/cakepull I live in NY so I never heard of it. Seems to be a southern tradition on the rise again. Anyone have this done? Was it easy? I heard if bakers don't do it right or place charms wrong then cake can collapse but I think that's only if they bake the charms into the cake. Charms with ribbons supposed to be in between layers of cake. I LOVE LOVE this cake pull idea? I hope I can find a baker in NYC/Westchester County who has heard of this and can do it. I'm so excited about this cake pull tradition!!! How about you? And if you're a cake vendor in NY reading this, let me know where you are so I can visit you and discuss this in person. Thanks!!

Re: Has anyone done a cake pull or ribbon pulling? esp in NYC area?

• Options
    Reading about it and looking at pictures, it seems really cute, but it also seems like a ton of explanation would be necessary if your guests are not familiar with the tradition. I'd also be hesitant about bakers who are probably not familiar with this seemingly southern tradition.

Maybe the NYC or NY local board would be able to help you more with vendors.

If nothing else, maybe you could do something similar with a bouquet or vase of flowers? The charms could be attached to stems, and the ladies could pick a single flower out of the vase.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I went to college in New Orleans, and a good friend of mine from there got married last year in Seattle. They had a ribbon pull, and while it was fun, a lot of the guests were pretty confused as to what it was. On the end of each ribbon was a charm that was then added to the bracelet the bride made each of us bridesmaids, and she claimed that the one I pulled (the fleur de lis) meant that I was going to be the next to get married. My (now) fiance at the time was kind of freaked out by that statement, since we hadn't been dating *too* long...

As to the "stability" of the cake...their baker just made the "ribbon" of frosting around the bottom rim/edge of the cake a little bit thicker in one spot, so the ribbons weren't really in the cake itself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

They do ribbon pulls all the time here in Louisiana. Maybe you can call a bakery here to get some insight. I know my bakery (Ambrosia Bakery) does them and when she asked if I wanted to do it, they went into detail about how it's done. Check out their website, I believe they have it mentioned there too.

• Options
    I am going to be doing a ribbon pull. My family is from Argentina, and this is pretty standard for weddings and quinceaneras.  We have charms at the end of all the ribbons, and one ribbon with a ring on it, the girl who pulls is it supposed to be the next one to get married. I had it for my 15th birthday, the baker understood it pretty quickly.  I don't remember it being that confusing for the guests, everyone seemed to get a kick at out of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards