Favors
Options

suggestions for welcome gift at hotel

I have a few family members coming from out of town and they will be spending one night at a hotel after the wedding.  I'd like to give them a gift bag at check in.  I've never done this before so I need some suggestions.

One is a retired couple and the other is a family of four with teenagers.  Would it be appropriate to give a different kind of bag to each one since the two groups are so different?

Should I be practical with things that they might have forgotten like toiletries, bottles of water and snacks or should I go for things made locally like a bottle of wine from a local vineyard (for the senior couple)?   I'm not sure what would be most appreciated.  It is my fiancé's family so I don't know them really well.

Re: suggestions for welcome gift at hotel

• Options
    The night of the wedding is the only night they will be spending in the hotel?

If that is the case, I would probably suggest you do nothing or something very small.  By the time they return to the hotel room, all they will want to do is get some sleep.  

If the hotel does not offer complimentary breakfast, you could leave some muffins from a local bakery, along with some fruit juice.  
  • Options

Hmmm, you are right.  We will all be going out together for dinner that evening, so we don't need anything big.  The hotel does offer a complimentary breakfast so there is no issue there, though that was a good idea. 

I might do some snacks for the road since they will be driving back the next morning.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Options
    Since they're driving, they will be able to bring everything they need.

If I'm flying, though, I would always appreciate some beverages, as it's so challenging to bring liquids on the plane. Vitamin Water or Propel. Higher end bottled water like Fiji or Evian. (things not found in a vending machine).

You have good intentions, but nothing will be necessary.
  • Options
    jewely24jewely24 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2013
    I kept mine strictly edible, and mostly local treats (pop, monogrammed bottled water, chocolates and potato chips), just a little something to snack on while they were getting ready or had the munchies when they got back to their room that night.  I don't know if all hotels are this way, but ours was, and wouldn't allow us to have different bags for different people.  They all had to be generic so they could easily be handed out as guests checked in.  Just something to think about....

Edited to add forgotten info.....
  • Options
    If it's only two rooms that will need bags, I think different bags are fine.  If there were more, I would say keep them very generic as the hotel might not be able to deliver specific bags to specific rooms but can easily hand out any random bag as a guest checks in.

They are not necessary at all, but if you're going to do them, I would keep it to mainly edible items. Potato chips or other snacks and drinks are a great idea- they can take them along for the road trip home.  Even if there's breakfast, a muffin or other breakfast item is fine- they might not get up in time to avail themselves of the free breakfast and if they do, they can still take along a muffin for the car ride.

I don't advise toiletries because most items that are often forgotten can be obtained from the front desk in many cases and these have a high potential to go into the wastebasket if they aren't needed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jewely24 said:
    I kept mine strictly edible, and mostly local treats (pop, monogrammed bottled water, chocolates and potato chips), just a little something to snack on while they were getting ready or had the munchies when they got back to their room that night.  I don't know if all hotels are this way, but ours was, and wouldn't allow us to have different bags for different people.  They all had to be generic so they could easily be handed out as guests checked in.  Just something to think about....

Edited to add forgotten info.....
    Ditto. Definitely check with the Hotel Manager & whoever is handling your event. Some hotels might let you do maybe a special bag for the parents or grandparent(s), but for every guest, you might have to do generic. 

I work at the front desk of a hotel & I have handled both. The generic is really good and easy for bigger number weddings, but the small ones I don't mind handing out specific bags to guests. 

We're planning on doing welcome bags as well. My half of the guest list, majority of them have never been on the east coast (CA & HI relatives) so we're going to do chips, water and some apple cider donuts that are very popular up in NY. =) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It has been decided.  My bridesmaid works at a candy shop.  She picked up two eight -piece boxes of handmade candy - their best sellers - for me to give as welcome gifts.  This was her wedding gift to me.  The boxes are the same so all the front desk has to do is remember to give a box when the family checks in.. 
  • Options

Things I would appreciate as an OOT if I were to get a bag: water, a salty snack, a few pieces of chocolate or another sweet item

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards