Wedding Party

When to give bridesmaids items to use on wedding day?

So I bought my bridesmaids a wrap to wear on the day of the wedding as well as, jewelry and purse.  In my circle, these are always the typical bridal party gifts.  After lurking on here, I learned that items to use on the wedding day are NOT gifts (which totally makes sense!). I can't return the items I have already purchased (too much time has passed), so I plan on still giving them to my bridal party in addition to a personal gift for each of them. 

Originally, I had planned on giving my bridesmaids the wrap, jewelry, and purse, after my bridal shower this Sunday so they wouldn't have to worry about what to wear the day of the wedding.  But now that I am planning on buying them each additional items, I'm not really sure what to do.  I don't want them to think that the wedding day attire is their only gift, but I also don't want them to go out and buy a wrap/jewelry/purse to use for the wedding if they would be happy just using the ones I am giving to them.  At this point, I don't even care if they wear the items I got them on the day of the wedding (again after reading other posts on here I realize it doesn't matter if they have matching jewelry, etc.) I just don't want the items I already bought to go to waste.

So my question is when should I give my bridal party the items I purchased for them to wear at my wedding?  Is it ok to still give them these items now, and then give them their personal gifts after the rehearsal dinner in a couple of months?

Re: When to give bridesmaids items to use on wedding day?

• That sounds reasonable to me.  I've been a bridesmaid 4 times, and never received a gift from the bride any earlier than the rehearsal.
  • Maybe when you go shopping or have a fitting for the bridesmaids dresses.
  • akosakow said:

So I bought my bridesmaids a wrap to wear on the day of the wedding as well as, jewelry and purse.  In my circle, these are always the typical bridal party gifts.  After lurking on here, I learned that items to use on the wedding day are NOT gifts (which totally makes sense!). I can't return the items I have already purchased (too much time has passed), so I plan on still giving them to my bridal party in addition to a personal gift for each of them. 

Originally, I had planned on giving my bridesmaids the wrap, jewelry, and purse, after my bridal shower this Sunday so they wouldn't have to worry about what to wear the day of the wedding.  But now that I am planning on buying them each additional items, I'm not really sure what to do.  I don't want them to think that the wedding day attire is their only gift, but I also don't want them to go out and buy a wrap/jewelry/purse to use for the wedding if they would be happy just using the ones I am giving to them.  At this point, I don't even care if they wear the items I got them on the day of the wedding (again after reading other posts on here I realize it doesn't matter if they have matching jewelry, etc.) I just don't want the items I already bought to go to waste.

So my question is when should I give my bridal party the items I purchased for them to wear at my wedding?  Is it ok to still give them these items now, and then give them their personal gifts after the rehearsal dinner in a couple of months?

If you say these gifts are typical bridal party gifts, then I would assume your BM's are expecting something along these lines as their gift.  In that case, I don't know why you would need to worry about them going out to buy things to use for the wedding.

Presenting them after the shower sounds sensible.  However, are your BM's hosting your wedding shower?  If they are then you run the risk of having them think the gifts are in appreciation of hosting the shower.  I would just make sure you include a note card indicating that the gifts are in gratitude for their friendship and participation in your wedding.  Presenting them with additional and personal gifts the night of the rehearsal will be a fun and unexpected surprise for them.
  • Hmmm that's a good point about the shower. My mom is paying for the shower, but I know my bridesmaids have met a couple of times to do shower related things. Besides the date, everything else about the shower is a surprise so I'm not really sure what their contribution was. I guess I will include a little note with the wedding items, and then give them their personal gifts the day before the wedding. Thanks for the advice!
  • This seems like a great way to do it!

• If these gifts are typical for BMs in your circle, when are they usually presented? I'd just give it then. If it's at the shower, great. If it's at the RD or prior to the wedding, do it then along with your personalized gift.
    *********************************************************************************

• When I have gotten this type of gift it has always been at the shower.  I think I'm overthinking this.  I'm sure they only expect to get items to use for the wedding, so when they get the extra personalized gifts at the rehearsal it will be a nice surprise!
  • I've always been given this stuff at the RD or the morning of the wedding, as we are getting ready. I'd probably forget the items if they were given to me weeks before at a shower. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards